rolling stones top 100 guitarists

baggio202

I think Stevie Ray was way overrated as a guitarist. If you (try to) compare him with blues guitarists like BB King, Buddy Guy, Luther Allison, etc., his "chops' don't stand up to theirs.

I think you're nuts. SRV blew them all away. To me, Stevie Ray was much more than just a straight blues guitarist. He was obviously a bluesman 1st, but some of his work with other artists (David Bowie, James Brown, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, & even Don Johnson..yes that Don Johnson!) showed that he was much more versatile than other blues guitarists.

I think Stevie Ray was way overrated as a guitarist. If you (try to) compare him with blues guitarists like BB King, Buddy Guy, Luther Allison, etc., his "chops' don't stand up to theirs.

I agree with WU - Give SRV another listen, especially the live stuff. Then remember that all that juicy guitar is coming from just one guitarist.

funny they list any jazz guitarists..guys like pat metheny would blow 90% of that list away as far as technical ability

Matheny would fit right in, as would DiMeola, or some of the classics like Joe Pass and Django. But it is a rock list so I guess that's why they're not there. To their credit, they at least got John McGlaughlin (sp?) in, probably because the mahavishnu stuff was more on the rock side.