Liberal Bias in the Classroom

Soxy

I don't know--I think 420 brings up a good point about trying to get debate going...I've taken my fair share of religion classes (maybe I'm just a masochist after all  ;) ).  And I've come to believe most of those profs aren't actually atheists, I know that through my interaction with them outside of class. But by saying the sometimes inflammatory stuff they do it really gets kids going. And we get to explore a lot more stuff than if it were just a homogenous class of good Lutherans singing Kyries. So, I do think that's a very valid point. You learn more from disagreements than from a hearty agreement--and you learn more about how to relate to people so I could definitely so profs doing that...

thats why i said it depends why you are in college....im back in school right now for one thing...get my degree and get a job...im not bothering with any of the periphial stuff...just focusing in on what i need to do to graduate..

i wouldnt expect anythingless than chisoxygirl argueing her butt off ;)

I dunno, I figured there's more to life and education than, say, taking a few math and logic classes if you're a comp sci major. I mean....an accelerated track program in your trade schools, your DeVry's, your local 2-year collegettes is one thing -- for those with immediate professional aspirations they may be a perfect fit...

But a university is an almost sacred institution of High Learning, isn't? Challenging and exploring yourself, the world, the past and all the other "important" stuff under the guidance of wiser profs; experiencing the frenetic beauty of campus life and fraternity with your peers; wildly enjoying your youth; fostering the spirit.....AND getting a dimploma at the end of it all as well? Is this view too archaic? Unrealistic? Isn't a uni called the Great Anvil of Future for a reason?

:huh

Another side of the argument.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadA...le.asp?ID=12312

What happens when ya stand up to a teacher?

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadA...le.asp?ID=11882

and 100's more to choose from....

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/GetAr...igns+&ID=1&CP=1

Some of these articles are long, but they are real eye openers.

I dunno, I figured there's more to life and education than, say, taking a few math and logic classes if you're a comp sci major.    I mean....an accelerated track program in your trade schools, your DeVry's, your local 2-year collegettes is one thing -- for those with immediate professional aspirations they may be a perfect fit...

But a university is an almost sacred institution of High Learning, isn't?  Challenging and exploring yourself, the world, the past and all the other "important" stuff under the guidance of wiser profs;  experiencing the frenetic beauty of campus life and  fraternity with your peers; wildly enjoying your youth; fostering the spirit.....AND getting a dimploma at the end of it all as well? Is this view too archaic?  Unrealistic? Isn't a uni called the Great Anvil of Future for a reason?

:huh

i would recomend college it is a blast, i hated goin to high school, but for some reason college is the best. not to mention it isnt really that hard. i have a 4.0 and i got a little less than a 2.0 in high school.

Another side of the argument.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadA...le.asp?ID=12312

What happens when ya stand up to a teacher?

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadA...le.asp?ID=11882

and 100's more to choose from....

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/GetAr...igns+&ID=1&CP=1

Some of these articles are long, but they are real eye openers.

im sure this goes on all over the country..its a shame

Hm, interesting, I would like to point out that sadly I was not one of the 75+ students in attendence since I was too busy oppressing the conservative students with my presentation at the Forum (Roots of Sexual Violence and Educating for Change--yes, that IS grassroots...). But I do know that MANY of those participants were LIBERAL members of the community. For example: many of them were kids who sat on the committee and turned down Scott's proposal, another was the president of Amnesty International here on campus, others were college dems who wanted to hear what was going on. Are we a liberal leaning campus, that is not the question that should be looked at, at least in my opinion. The question is tolerance. While the committee on Intellectual Diversity makes a fair point--what these articles don't talk about are the smear campaign they ran AGAINST Carter and Mondale in the days preceeding the conference. As well as the protest outside of campus that resulted in a traffic jam and a car accident. If you want tolerance for your beliefs, then well be respectful towards others.

In my 4 years here we have had numerous examples of hate speech and problems like that. We had during coming out week some hate chalking with some really disturbing anti-gay messages. We've had feminists spit on during Love Your Body and Eating Disorder's Awareness Week. And some of the things I've heard as an educator of people about sexual violence is absolutely sickening. My point in bringing that up is just that those are some examples where we with liberal tendencies feel isolated and that we live in a place where our opinions are not able to be aired with great safety.

Hm, interesting, I would like to point out that sadly I was not one of the 75+ students in attendence since I was too busy oppressing the conservative students with my presentation at the Forum (Roots of Sexual Violence and Educating for Change--yes, that IS grassroots...). But I do know that MANY of those participants were LIBERAL members of the community. For example: many of them were kids who sat on the committee and turned down Scott's proposal, another was the president of Amnesty International here on campus, others were college dems who wanted to hear what was going on. Are we a liberal leaning campus, that is not the question that should be looked at, at least in my opinion. The question is tolerance. While the committee on Intellectual Diversity makes a fair point--what these articles don't talk about are the smear campaign they ran AGAINST Carter and Mondale in the days preceeding the conference. As well as the protest outside of campus that resulted in a traffic jam and a car accident. If you want tolerance for your beliefs, then well be respectful towards others.

In my 4 years here we have had numerous examples of hate speech and problems like that. We had during coming out week some hate chalking with some really disturbing anti-gay messages. We've had feminists spit on during Love Your Body and Eating Disorder's Awareness Week. And some of the things I've heard as an educator of people about sexual violence is absolutely sickening.  My point in bringing that up is just that those are some examples where we with liberal tendencies feel isolated and that we live in a place where our opinions are not able to be aired with great safety.

when i lived in oregon i had "an abvortion stops a beating heart" bumper sticker on my car and at a red light this girl got out of her car b****ing at my about women's rights the spit on my car...

it cuts both ways, believe me

Oh yeah?

I used to love school. College was a blast for me, especially junior college.

Right now though, you couldn't pay me enough to get my masters in engineering. Between still paying on student loans ( :fyou to all the f***s that don't pay theirs back which is the reason for the 8% on the loan - I have my rate down to 5% though) and discovering other things in life, college has come to seem much less important to me.

I would like to get an MBA, sooner or later (I'm thinking a few years after he and I get married), but never a masters in engineering. I know I shouldn't say never, but the idea of going back to school for courses in engineering is horrifying... :unsure:

I used to love school.  College was a blast for me, especially junior college.

Right now though, you couldn't pay me enough to get my masters in engineering.  Between still paying on student loans ( :fyou to all the f***s that don't pay theirs back which is the reason for the 8% on the loan - I have my rate down to 5% though) and discovering other things in life, college has come to seem much less important to me. 

I would like to get an MBA, sooner or later (I'm thinking a few years after he and I get married), but never a masters in engineering.  I know I shouldn't say never, but the idea of going back to school for courses in engineering is horrifying... :unsure:

yea i get scholarship and my savings i dont have to take a loan out until maybe my 4th year, im really lucky i guess.