Comedians.....

MurcieOne

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if it's because I cannot relate to their material or what, but I too don't find most women in stand-up to be very funny. I've seen a few that made me laugh pretty hard, but for every one of those there seem to be a dozen Whoopi Goldbergs who just annoy the hell out of me.

Somebody mentioned Gallagher a while back. Did anybody see Black Gallagher on Chappelle's Show a couple weeks back. Damn if the Dave Chappelle isn't one of the funniest guys on the planet. I still have to go with Lewis Black as the top, though. I forgot to put Jack Black and Kevin Gage (Tenacious D) on my list too. That album is hilarious.

Ever seen Garofalo phone it in for $35? And unlike Carlin, she doesn't even bother with the yellow pad......That's why I like Margaret Cho-- not as natureally caustic as Jeanine but at least has respect for her audience and PREPARES...

Never seen Garofalo, never would. Not my style.

I'm just saying that no one should charge that kind of money for people to watch rehearsal. It was advertised as a night of comedy, not a night of working out the kinks for an HBO special. He went back and did a bit a second time, for Chrissakes!! Awful, and very disappointing.

I've seen Cho twice ( my wife is a big fan of hers ) and while I think she's very funny, she has waaaaaaaay too much pent-up anger over her body image and how it's affected her career. That part of her set is always boring, predictable and unfunny.

As far as funny females, I enjoy Judy Gold quite a bit. There are a couple others who I've seen on Comedy Central, but their names escape me.

And another male standup I enjoy is Greg Fitzsimmons. He cracks me up somethin' FIERCE...

Actually, the guy I was thinking of was Dennis Wolfberg.  Was awfully tired last night....

LMAO! That's him - the guy that played Ziggy in 'Quantum Leap.' He was a math teacher as well, right?

The one with 'Survived by his wife, son and lots and lots of laughter' in his obituary.

1.dave chappelle - his piece about the blind black guy that was the KKK grand wizard was the funniest thing i ever seen in my life...my sides were killing me i was laughing so hard..funniest guy ever...

2.wanda sykes...cant believe no one else listed her..especially on the women arnt funny threads...her stand up is awesome

3.nick dipaulo..gotta have a pisano in there..

4. benny hill...another guy no one mentioned...his comedy was legendary imo..he was the original rowan atkinson

5. don rickles..i love smart ass comedy..he was the first and the master..

5. don rickles..i love smart ass comedy..he was the first and the master..

I forgot about him. Don Rickles ni his prime couldn't be touched in his ampluah.

And there is no one who can do it today. Jeoffrey Ross comes close and his material is WAY edgier, but he lacks the pure speed and bile and it's a testament to DR's skill that he could make it work even though he was saying relatively harmless things by today's standards back then.

IMO he MADE the Fryar's Club when it had Sinatra, Ali, Reagan, Welles, etc and was relevant and pretty funnny.

Back when Ronny was about to end his term as the governator and was the guest of honor, at one point DR grabs the mic ostensibly to thank him for all the wonderful things he's done while in office...and ends it with "I just want to say from the bottom of my heart...[goes into heavy Rickles mode]....I am SO SICK of you!"

The way he said it was priceless and I WISH someone would say that to Debya. It should have been said during the inauguration dinner, in fact. :headbang

I'd have to say that anyone who put any of the "Friends" guys in their funniest list needs to get out more! None of them are funny, neither is the show.

Same goes for Bill Cosby...when is the last time he said anything that made anyone laugh? (Ditto Bob Hope...NEVER was funny)!

My all time list, (in no particular order):

1. Marx Bros.

2. 3 Stooges

3. Sam Kinison

4. Bill Hicks

5. Sid Caesar

6. Phil Silver

7. Buddy Hackett *******

8. Redd Foxx

9. Don Rickles

Current:

1. Jon Stewart

2. Dennis Miller

3. Jay Mohr (very underrated!)

I'd have to say that anyone who put any of the "Friends" guys in their funniest list needs to get out more! None of them are funny, neither is the show.

Same goes for Bill Cosby...when is the last time he said anything that made anyone laugh? (Ditto Bob Hope...NEVER was funny)!

My all time list, (in no particular order):

1. Marx Bros.

2. 3 Stooges

3. Sam Kinison

4. Bill Hicks

5. Sid Caesar

6. Phil Silver

7. Buddy Hackett *******

8. Redd Foxx

9. Don Rickles

Current:

1. Jon Stewart

2. Dennis Miller

3. Jay Mohr (very underrated!)

i forgot about dennis miller...ilike his smart ass attitude too

the one guy on firends i think is pretty funny is matt leblanc..always thought he was the most talented of that group yet he seems to be the one that gets the least amount of work away from friends...maybe he likes it that way or he needs a new agent :huh

jay mohr and phil silvers were good picks too

the one guy on firends i think is pretty funny is matt leblanc..always thought he was the most talented of that group yet he seems to be the one that gets the least amount of work away from friends...maybe he likes it that way or he needs a new agent

i always figured this is why matt leblanc doesn't get any work

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116165/

the one guy on firends i think is pretty funny is matt leblanc..always thought he was the most talented of that group yet he seems to be the one that gets the least amount of work away from friends...maybe he likes it that way or he needs a new agent

If by "most talented", you mean "least talented", then I agree. To put him on the same level as a fairly respected broadway character comedienne Lisa Kudrow or Jen Aniston who is talented (if annoying) across the board, well, let's just say I disagree. I think there is a reason why ML couldn't get work even when the show was at its peak. He's better looking than Schwimmer and Perry and yet no dice.....Hmmm.

In any case, Friends absolutely blow (with the exception of Ross almost fainting and diving under the bed barely in time for the Bruce Willis Mirrior Show -- by the time sex machine happened, I was already under the table dying). But even Izzy has to admit the first 4-5 seasons were pretty funny.

And Izzy, I laughed my ASS of at some of the things Cosby did and said on his original show. I used to love re-runs of that stuff. I also found Mrs. Huxtable almost inexplicably hot in the early eps. So :nono on Cosby disrespect.

Bob Hope might have been a real ass of a human being, but the man was truly gifted, complete with photographic memory and great confidence in himself. Some of his humor is dated, it's expected, but if you're gonna concede that Humphrey Bogart was a good actor, then Hope was defiantely a prolific comic and a cultural icon.

If by "most talented", you mean "least talented", then I agree.  To put him on the same level as a fairly respected broadway character comedienne Lisa Kudrow or Jen Aniston who is talented (if annoying) across the board, well, let's just say I disagree. I think there is a reason why ML couldn't get work even when the show was at its peak.  He's better looking than Schwimmer and Perry and yet no dice.....Hmmm.

In any case,  Friends absolutely blow. But even Izzy has to admit the first 4-5 seasons were pretty funny. 

And Izzy, I laughed my ASS of at some of the things Cosby did and said on his original show. I used to love re-runs of that stuff.    I also found Mrs. Huxtable almost inexplicably hot in the early eps. So  :nono  on Cosby disrespect.

Bob Hope might have an ass of a human being, but the man was truly gifted, complete with photographic memory and great confidence in himself.  Some of his humor is dated,  it's expected,  but if you're gonna concede that Humphrey Bogart was a good actor, then  Hope was defiantely a prolific comic and a cultural icon.

sorry..lisa kudrow i can tkae but jennifer anniston makes me want to hurl..i just dont see it with her