Alienware VS Dell VS Gateway

Queen Prawn

We are planning on getting a new computer because my HP is getting a bit old and sluggish. Upgrading everything that needs to be upgraded makes buying one a better deal.

Brian is a gamer so we are picking a computer that will provide the best game playing experience for him. All offer the home version of Windows XP as their operating systems.

All are Pentium IV. Dell is 3.4GHz, Alienware is 3.2GHz and Gateway is 3.2GHz.

For video cards, Dell has a 128Mb Nvdia GeForce, Alienware has a the Nvdia as well, but for $30 more, you can get the Ati Radeon and Gateway lists 128MB ATI Radeon 9600G (this is their video card, right?).

For sound cards, Dell has Live! 5.1 Soundcard, Alienware has Soundblaster 7.1 and Gateway has SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Audio.

For SDRAM, all three offer 1024MB.

FORGOT: Hard drive space: Dell has a 250GB drive, Alienware has 120GB (for $130 I can get the 250GB drive) and Gateway has a 160GB.

There are some other differences that are offered so I can still go up or down in these selections, but costwise, some of them aren't feasible.

Overall, is there one of the three brands we should go with and do the selections we made make a good gaming computer. Is there someplace else we should look to build a good gaming computer?

I was leaning towards Alienware, but I feel like I am getting more with a Dell. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I would reccomend you just buy the parts and build your own, you get better performance and save your self a few hundred $$$. I say if you have a friend then have them help you with it. Not really a complicated process if you have some clue as to what to do.

If you are going to buy one of the three I say probably Dell. Alienware charges an ass load just for you to own their cool box with average parts. They are nothing special. Gateway isn't what it once was as far as performance and service. Dell, you are still paying a decent chunk of change but they have awesome customer service, good pay plans and and some really nice warrantys. Just my two cents :huh:

Dude, I gota a Dell! I love it and I can't complain for one milli-second about it. My roommate has a Gateway as as do my parents. My parents' Gateway is about 3 years old and gets sent in for repairs about ever 3 months for repairs--it is just a nightmare. After having the Dell I would NEVER go back to the Gateway. It's worth dropping the extra cash...

End of testamonial.

Brian had a Gateway and it was a POS. I think we are going to go with the Dell - besides the testimonials here, I am getting quite a bit more for the same price. And that was by picking and chosing the things I wanted on the computer. as well! :lol:

I've always wanted to build my own, but I don't have the time.

Brian had a Gateway and it was a POS.  I think we are going to go with the Dell - besides the testimonials here, I am getting quite a bit more for the same price.  And that was by picking and chosing the things I wanted on the computer. as well! :lol:

I've always wanted to build my own, but I don't have the time.

Dell. All the way.

I can tell you horror stories with all of them, but by in large Dell stands behind their products better then the other 2 you mentioned.

I've built, torn apart, rebuilt, bought, scrapped, and otherwise decimated pc's - and generally Dells' components etc are pretty good.

If you really watch Dell they can come out with some sweet deals...

k i'm gonna against some people and say i love gateway. i was in charge of a network that had about 200 gateways and i rarely had any hardware problems. they run especially solid on the win nt/2k/xp os (the win2k servers actually had decent up time). i've never had problems with dell desktops, but i've had nothing but problems with their laptops. i've had all sorts of hardware problems with the dell. but after saying all that i'd say go and check to see if there is a local owned pc shop around. usually their prices are cheaper and they will build it up to your specs, and usually have computer nerds working there, so they'll be able to give you some advice and recommendations on what you're looking for.

I gotta go with the Gateway also. Had ours just over a year and not 1 issue. I called to ask a few questions and the CS was awesome. The reason we didn't go with DELL was because they tried to sell me more than I wanted/needed. They were very pushy, IMO.

DO NOT GET A DELL.

Reason being, if you ever wanted to UPGRADE that Dell, you can't. Their parts come "intertwined", so to speak. If your mobo blows, your computer is done. Alienware is a tad bit on the pricy side. Gateways just plain sucks.

I advise you to check out this site for Gaming PC's as well. IIRC, a friend said these are the best of the best.

http://voodoopc.com/

I will check though. That's just another option for your Gaming PC.

If you are really focusing on gaming PCs, the Pentium 4 with its hyperthreading will not be worth the much higher cost over an Athlon XP. You are much better off taking that extra money and spending it on a nice video card like a Radeon 9600 or 9800. I think the 9600g is some vendor-specific model for Gateway because I have never heard of it. It's probably along the lines of a 9600SE which is the low end of the models. I would recommend at least a 9600Pro if not a 9600XT or 9800Pro.

Checked VoodooPC - WAY OVERPRICED. I inputed the same (exact same, not similar) components that I chose for the Dell setup and it was $500 more and I don't even get a flat screen monitor or keyboard or mouse that I do get with the dell. Looks like you get charged for the name at this place.

As for the other site mentioned, same price as the Dell (once again, same components) but no monitor and with the Dell I do get a monitor. My future sister-in-law has a Dell and hasn't had a problem with it and when I was at UIC, the Dells in the lab always worked whereas the other comps didn't (can't remember the brand name).

It's really looking like a Dell for us.