My email to Jay Mariotti

YASNY

After reading today's column from Jay Mariotti, I was compelled to email him. His column about Frank Thomas was entirely uncalled for. here is the text of my email:

Mr Mariotti,

I must say that found it ironic that you choose Frank Thomas as the subject of your column rather than, say, Sammy Sosa. This column hit your paper on the day after Frank Thomas breezed into the White Sox training camp, a day early, with a smile on his face and with him assuring all who cared to listen that everything was fine and he wanted to play baseball. Conversely, in Mesa, Mr. Sosa made his appearance at the Cub's camp. He wasn't a day early, but like Thomas, he came in all smiles and looking forward to the season. Yet, you took the opportunity to remind everyone in the Chicagoland area of everything associated with Frank Thomas that has had a negative stigma or connotation.

Columns like the one in today's paper are exactly the reason that you are generally despised by White Sox fans. You could have, of course, written a very similar column about Mr. Sosa, but instead you chose to take your potshots at Mr. Thomas. I'm sure you are wondering what I could possibiliy be refering to that would portray Mr. Sosa in the same type of light as you portrayed Mr. Thomas. If you be so kind as to take off your Cubbie blue shaded glasses, let's examine what possibilities for comparison exist. From your column, I qoute "When he wasn't squabbling with respected mates such as Robin Ventura and Paul Konerko ...". Yet, couldn't the same thing be said about Mr. Sosa and former Cub, Mark Grace? Frank Thomas had a spat or two with former manager Jerry Manuel, yet Sammy Sosa completely undermined the authority, with backing from the Cubs hierarchy, of first year manager Don Baylor before spring training was a week old. Mr. Thomas could have attempted to do the same with Ozzie Guillen this year, but he chose to remain above that and think of the team. Mr. Sosa has the inarguable infamy of the corked bat incident and the spector of possible steriod use hanging over him. Mr. Thomas' on the field integrity has never been questioned in any way shape or form, especially not with the word "cheat" attached. Mr. Thomas has the reputation of not being the best teammate one could hope for, whether deserved or not. Mr. Sosa is known to have annoyed teammates with his blaring Salsa music and his supporting cast accompanying him, usually a week late, for spring training. Each side of town has a superstar on it's baseball team. One is consider a pariah, and the other is blindly worshipped. Columns like the one you wrote today are a big part of the reason for that entirely undeserved discrepancy.

Sincerely,

YASNY (I didn't sign it YASNY)

IF and when I get any response, I'll keep you updated.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult to fathom what the writers like Rogers and Jay M will have to write about now that Frank has done exactly what many of us thought he would do- be a team player. I guess Jay just can't leave it alone. It would be nice to see what the guy can do with a story when he wants to write something positive.

Difficult to fathom what the writers like Rogers and Jay M will have to write about now that Frank has done exactly what many of us thought he would do- be a team player. I guess Jay just can't leave it alone. It would be nice to see what the guy can do with a story when he wants to write something positive.

All you have to do is read his Cub columns.

Rogers is usually pretty honest. Kotex-Boy won't write anything about it. He will act like it never happened because it doesn't support his agenda.

Actually, I have read many articles about how he is negative to his own cubbies. Just a couple of days ago he wrote some negative comments about Dusty.

He is just negative about all sports teams in Chicago and frankly I am just tired of hearing bad comments. We should be more positive about our teams, and one of the main reasons we are not is because of the media.

Maybe its time to show an example. Maybe start a petition or something demanding the firing of Jay Moriatti just so we can express the need to hear positive sports news.

Actually, I have read many articles about how he is negative to his own cubbies.  Just a couple of days ago he wrote some negative comments about Dusty.

I think what he was trying to tell Jay is that his artical was completly unprovoked. Frank came into camp all smile,but you would think from Jay thathe came in flipping tabels over. WhenFrank deserves it, I haveno problem with a column critisizing him. But, when it isunprovoked, dont write the column. Sammy deserved a beating morethan Frank.

I agree with you 100% YASNY. I'm not the biggest Frank fan in the world, but I have to commend him on his actions so far, he's done everything right.Mariotti's column was uncalled for and just plain bad, nice job YASNY

Wow.  (that's all I have to say right now)

Nevermind.  This is from Sox fans in Indiana

:fyou  :fyou  :fyou  :fyou  :fyou  :fyou

I'll include the Dakotas, both North and South, as well:

:fyou :fyou :fyou :fyou :fyou :fyou :fyou :fyou

What a f***ing assclown. The least he could do is give a response back slightly explaining this garbage that he and the Sun-Times calls a column. Sox fans like him; ha, April Fools Day has come early.

Yas puts together probably something Jay hasn't seen in a while, a quality writing, and he just puts it in the trash can.

Mariotti = biggest dickface on the planet.

And just for good cause, from us all, once again...

:fyou

who thinks something about sox fans around the country will come up in his article tomarrow??

I hope so. If it does happen, we should all rip into him, but not with profane replies, just well-thought out letters written to him, asking why he will not respond.

And let's have everyone plug Soxtalk. :)