Turk?

southsideirish

Turk Wendell says Bonds was on juice:

ESPN.com news services

Someone is pointing a finger at Barry Bonds. And, ironically, it's a fellow major league baseball player.

Colorado pitcher Turk Wendell told The Denver Post that if his personal trainer had been linked to, and charged in, an alleged steroid ring, he wouldn't get the same treatment that Bonds has.

"If my personal trainer, me, Turk Wendell, got indicted for that, there's no one in the world who wouldn't think that I wasn't taking steroids," the Rockies relief pitcher told The Denver Post. "I mean, what, because he's Barry Bonds, no one's going to say that?

"I mean, obviously he did it. [His trainer] admitted to giving steroids to baseball players. He just doesn't want to say his name. You don't have to. It's clear just seeing his body."

Bonds' retort from Giants camp in Scottsdale, Ariz.: "I'm not going to comment on ignorance. Who's he?"

“ [His trainer] admitted to giving steroids to baseball players. He just doesn't want to say his name. You don't have to. It's clear just seeing his body. ”

— Turk Wendell

Bonds was surrounded by reporters on his first day at spring training Monday, and was asked repeatedly about his ties to the supplements lab accused of illegally distributing steroids to dozens of athletes. He's always denied using steroids and did so again, saying baseball "can test me every day if they choose to."

Bonds

Wendell

Yankees Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield, and Bonds testified in December before a grand jury probing BALCO, the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative that's at the center of the federal steroids case. Being subpoenaed did not mean an athlete was a target of the investigation.

Bonds' trainer, Greg Anderson, testified to federal agents that he distributed steroids and other performance-enhancing substances to several major-league players. It is unclear whether he identified those players to the grand jury; none of the athletes was named in the court documents.

"All I know is generally speaking, people start snitching," Cubs manager Dusty Baker told The Post. "That was the same thing in the Pittsburgh drug trial [in the 1980s]. People started scurrying and running and pointing. That's human nature: Save [yourself]."

Giambi has said that better eating habits and hard workouts had left him leaner. Asked Monday whether he had taken performance-enhancing drugs, Giambi said: "Are you talking about steroids? No."

Sheffield turned testy when pressed on the topic. He spoke about it a couple of times this month during informal workouts and said he had not used steroids.

"It is a pretty good coincidence that some of the names that are linked to them are the guys that are the big, massive, overmuscular looking guys," Rockies pitcher Denny Neagle told The Post. "And guys that did go through some serious body changes. I don't know or remember what Jason Giambi looked like back in his early days, but I know he wasn't as big as he is now. The jury is always going to be out on Barry."

Bonds, who turns 40 this summer, showed up at Giants camp right around his playing weight of 228 pounds. He will start the season two homers shy of tying Willie Mays for third on the career list with 660.

Steroid testing was on the agenda Wednesday when the Players Association staff opened its annual tour of spring training camps at the Cubs' facility in Mesa, Ariz. The steroid issue came up several times.

"We just went through with the players and reminded them what the procedures are," Michael Weiner, the No. 3 official in the union, told reporters.

Union head Donald Fehr missed the opening of the tour because of minor surgery but is expected back when the meetings shift to Florida.

Anonymous survey testing last season showed 5-7 percent of the tests were positive, triggering the start of testing with penalties this year. A first positive test for steroid use would result in treatment and a second in a 15-day suspension or fine of up to $10,000.

"I hope testing itself would be enough of a deterrent," Rockies star Todd Helton told The Post. "Isn't that the reason for doing it? But I think some of those names might become public over time. And if that happens, it will be a big deterrent."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I would be pretty p.o.'d if I was Bonds right about now. Turk says it is just because it body changed and it was his trainer. Wasn't it also Sheff's trainer? Howcome he is commenting on Bonds and not Sheff? I find it hard to believe that a reported asked Turk Wendell about his thoughts on Bonds and his trainer. Just very odd that another player would come out and start accusing others of taking.

Neagle and Wendell are acting like complete dicks about the whole issue.

Hey, I got an idea, let's completely suck ass and then try to bring down other people with us. :rolleyes:

Giambi has always been a good sized guy, and Sheffield is not what I'd call overmuscular. Bonds has admitted to taking things like creatine and amino acids and those types of things, and I think he's telling the truth. I personally believe that he nor Giambi nor Sheffield nor even Sosa have taken steroids. My honest guess would be is that the players on steroids will be players you wouldn't suspect, sort of like Wilton Guerrero getting caught with a cork in his bat a couple years back.

Neagle and Wendell are acting like complete dicks about the whole issue.

Hey, I got an idea, let's completely suck ass and then try to bring down other people with us. :rolleyes:

Giambi has always been a good sized guy, and Sheffield is not what I'd call overmuscular.  Bonds has admitted to taking things like creatine and amino acids and those types of things, and I think he's telling the truth.  I personally believe that he nor Giambi nor Sheffield nor even Sosa have taken steroids.  My honest guess would be is that the players on steroids will be players you wouldn't suspect, sort of like Wilton Guerrero getting caught with a cork in his bat a couple years back.

I agree to some extent. Giambi has always been a good sized guy, but not to that extent. Sosa may or may not have been on steroids. I know for a fact he has used other supplements including andro, all of which he had denied using after McGwire was very open about using them. He stated he never used anything. That is a complete lie. It may not be the well known players that will get caught using them, however I am sure they are going to be the guys that you would suspect. Such as Brady Anderson or Mark Bellhorn types. Guys with one year power surges.

I agree to some extent. Giambi has always been a good sized guy, but not to that extent. Sosa may or may not have been on steroids. I know for a fact he has used other supplements including andro, all of which he had denied using after McGwire was very open about using them. I stated he never used anything. That is a complete lie. It may not be the well known players that will get caught using them, however I am sure they are going to be the guys that you would suspect. Such as Brady Anderson or Mark Bellhorn types. Guys with one year power surges.

It could e Brady Anderson or Mark Bellhorn types...but I still want to see how many unsuspecting players have used them. Maybe Craig Counsell or something like that.

Alright, that's probably uncalled for, but it is sometimes still fun to speculate none the less.

It could e Brady Anderson or Mark Bellhorn types...but I still want to see how many unsuspecting players have used them.  Maybe Craig Counsell or something like that.

Alright, that's probably uncalled for, but it is sometimes still fun to speculate none the less.

C'mon now, Craig Counsell?

ya i dont blame him for speaking out because some people are cheating and those people deserve to be punished for it.

Don't you think that it should be proven before you start calling people out. I mean it is one thing for us, as fans, or even the media to speculate about things like that. But another player? I think that is unnessecary. Keep it to yourself, then when it is out in the open you can say what you want to say.

Don't you think that it should be proven before you start calling people out. I mean it is one thing for us, as fans,  or even the media to speculate about things like that. But another player? I think that is unnessecary. Keep it to yourself, then when it is out in the open you can say what you want to say.

what about ken caminiti?

And Bonds responds...

(courtesy Yahoo)

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- Barry Bonds chastised Colorado reliever Turk Wendell on Wednesday for accusing him of using steroids.

A day after Wendell said it was ``clear just seeing his body'' that Bonds was taking steroids, the San Francisco Giants slugger said the remark should've been made directly to him -- not a reporter.

``I heard about his comments. If you've got something to say, say it to my face,'' Bonds said. ``Don't talk through the media.''

``I'm not worried about him. I'm not worried about anyone. I have a lot of respect for Turk Wendell. I have a lot of respect for every baseball player in this game,'' he added. ``You got something to say, you come to my face and say it and we'll deal with each other. Don't talk through the media like you're some tough guy.''

On Tuesday in Tucson, Wendell criticized Bonds to The Denver Post.

Bonds, who has always denied using steroids, appeared in December before a grand jury probing a supplements lab accused of illegally distributing steroids to athletes.

His trainer, Greg Anderson, was among four men charged this month. All the men have pleaded innocent and no athletes have been charged.

``If my personal trainer, me, Turk Wendell, got indicted for that, there's no one in the world who wouldn't think that I wasn't taking steroids,'' Wendell was quoted as saying by the Post. ``I mean, what, because he's Barry Bonds, no one's going to say that? I mean, obviously he did it. (His trainer) admitted to giving steroids to baseball players. He just doesn't want to say his name. You don't have to. It's clear just seeing his body.''

Rockies pitcher Denny Neagle also chimed in on the subject.

``It is a pretty good coincidence that some of the names that are linked to them are the guys that are the big, massive, overmuscular looking guys,'' Neagle told the Post.

``I don't know or remember what Jason Giambi looked like back in his early days, but I know he wasn't as big as he is now. The jury is always going to be out on Barry.''

Speaking after the Giants' first full-squad workout at spring training, Bonds also hinted that he isn't going to put up with as much from pitchers this season -- but he didn't go as far as saying he'd retaliate if he gets hit.

``I'm not playing with any of these guys out there this year,'' he said. ``It's going to be a battle and a war. That's just what it's going to be. I think sometimes a couple of people got a little bit too comfortable with me, and those things are going to change. And it's going to change quick. Real quick. ...

``There's going to be a respect level. I'll respect you if you respect me. But if not, then we're going deal with that on the field. ... I don't ever threaten anyone. But things will be different.''

Wendell has always marched to the beat of a different drummer and is a unique individual, witnessed by the fact that he turned down a gauranteed contract for a minor league deal to play with the Rox. Even thoough it may be "obvious" that Bonds took 'roids, in Wendell's opinion, he still should have kept his mouth shut until something definitive was out there.