Graffy admired the Royals in 2003

aboz56

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- From the opposing dugout, Tony Graffanino developed glowing admiration for the 2003 Royals.

Graffanino played for the Chicago White Sox last year, a club that had a lot of big-name talent. But the Royals swept Chicago in a season-opening series and led both the White Sox and Minnesota for a large portion of the season.

"It looked like a team that was having a lot of fun, with a lot of excitement and passion," Graffanino said. "Priority-wise, you could see that winning was No. 1."

When the offseason rolled around, Graffanino decided instead of competing against the Royals, he'd join them. Why stay on the outside looking in? The Royals were looking to maintain the same chemistry but upgrade in talent for a run at an American League Central title. Graffanino figured he could help as a versatile infielder.

"I talked to (general manager) Allard Baird and some of the guys on the team about what was going on over here," Graffanino said. "The (AL Central) division isn't the strongest in baseball, so if you go out there with a decent team and the right attitude, you've got a chance to win the division."

Graffanino, who signed a two-year deal during the Winter Meetings, starts his Royals' tenure as a utility infielder whom could provide periodic breathers for second baseman Desi Relaford, shortstop Angel Berroa and third baseman Joe Randa. If Graffanino flourishes, he could also challenge Relaford for the starting job at second.

The Royals had a competent utility infielder last year in Mendy Lopez, but Graffanino brings a stronger Major League track record. He hit .260 for the White Sox last year and has always been known as a hard-nosed, scrappy player during his six-plus years of Major League service. Whereas the Royals were viewed as overachievers in 2003, the White Sox were viewed as underachievers. Manager Jerry Manuel was fired after the White Sox came up short in the division despite making a series of quick-fix moves around the trading deadline in an attempt to take the AL Central.

"There were definitely distractions with player moves and different pieces coming in and out," Graffanino said. "It's hard to put a finger on what went wrong over there. Team-wise, we should have won that division. I felt we had probably the best team there. For some reason, guys weren't playing up to their potential. Inside the clubhouse, there were definitely problems. I definitely think chemistry has a lot to do with what's going on with a team."

Last year, the Royals opened Spring Training with Carlos Febles cast in the starter's role at second and Relaford backing him up as the utilityman.

Eventually, Relaford won the starter's job. Now, Graffanino finds himself in the same spot that Relaford was in last year at this time.

"I always go to Spring Training thinking I have the opportunity to win a starting job," Graffanino said. "That's regardless of what team I'm on or who's in front of me. That's how I have to prepare myself. You have to be ready because you never know what's going to happen.

"Inside, I believe I can play second every day. I would love for that to happen."

The Royals figure the competition at second base can only help the ballclub. Relaford pushes Graffanino and Graffanino pushes Relaford.

"Hopefully, everybody benefits from it," Graffanino said. "When we walk out of Spring Training, we'll put a team on the field that gives us the best chance to win. That's really all that matters. I came over here to win."

Graffanino was primarily a second baseman in the minors, but played a lot of shortstop in Chicago while platooning with Jose Valentin. Last year, he was periodically slotted in at second and third and wound up playing in 90 games with 250 at-bats.

By reeling in Graffanino, the Royals have removed an opponent who always seemed to give them fits. Graffanino has a .370 career average at Kauffman Stadium.

"I like playing there," Graffanino said. "Hopefully, it'll carry over as a home player. I definitely enjoy hitting in that stadium."

can you blame him? I would be jealous of the royals if I was on the sox last year. If you were tony, you'd look into the dugout and see everyone b****ing, complaining, arguing and then you look into the royals, they're having fun and PLAYING the game.

Seriosly though, good for Tony. He is the one offseason loss IMO that really hurts. He would have been great with this team this year. I think Ozzie would have loved to have Tony on this team, he is a true baseball player. He's not great or anything, but it seemed like he was always busting his ass giving 100%

Scott Sullivan said on local radio today he had no intention of staying

with the Sox.

Didn't sound too high on our club or organization compared to the Royals.

And we wasted a minor leaguer on him? Good riddance, douche. May Big Frank launch one 450 feet at the Cell or at Kauffman off his ass.

Seriosly though, good for Tony.  He is the one offseason loss IMO that really hurts.  He would have been great with this team this year.  I think Ozzie would have loved to have Tony on this team, he is a true baseball player.  He's not great or anything, but it seemed like he was always busting his ass giving 100%

:huh:

Bartolo Colon anybody? 242 innings? 15 wins? Great down the stretch? HELLLLLLO!!!!! That's the one that hurts the most.

Given, we had virtually no shot at retaining his fat ass, but someone is going to have to fill his shoes, and I have no doubt in my mind that his loss will hurt the most.

:huh:

Bartolo Colon anybody?  242 innings?  15 wins?  Great down the stretch?  HELLLLLLO!!!!!  That's the one that hurts the most.

Given, we had virtually no shot at retaining his fat ass, but someone is going to have to fill his shoes, and I have no doubt in my mind that his loss will hurt the most.

Agreed. Totally. Empahatically.