Treatment of Frank/Sammy...

Haaaaarold

I meant that Green was integral to the Redskins overall success and helped be a staple at CB for a winning team.

Where as Sosa has played for a below average team most of career and who cares if you are hitting HR's when your team is losing 6-0.

Also Sanders is one of the best CB to play the game, he just was a self promoter.

:)

SB

Sanders couldn't tackle worth a crap, but he did shut down whatever side of the field he lined up against. Whatever receiver he lined up against was in for a career-low performance. And he could return kickoffs and punts like no one I've ever seen. (Well, except for Donte Hall - but he might be a one-year wonder).

Sanders couldn't tackle worth a crap, but he did shut down whatever side of the field he lined up against.  Whatever receiver he lined up against was in for a career-low performance. And he could return kickoffs and punts like no one I've ever seen.  (Well, except for Donte Hall - but he might be a one-year wonder).

Exactly. He couldn't tackle for s***, or rather, he would avoid contact at all costs. But his coverage skills were second to none. The best that you'll ever see.

Exactly.  He couldn't tackle for s***, or rather, he would avoid contact at all costs.  But his coverage skills were second to none.  The best that you'll ever see.

LOL .... Exactly. If Deion were to try and tackle Willie Gault, Sanders would miss and Gault would fall down. I never recall Gault breaking a tackle.

As for the differences between the way Sosa and Thomas have been treated, I addressed that with Mariotti in my email to him. Though, it was focused on the different standards used by Mariotti, rather than the perspective teams.

YASNY,

I don't know if he's read your e-mails, or anyone else's from SoxTalk, but he DID say yesterday on his radio show that "he's tired of getting e-mails from bitter Sox fans." He said that "the Cubs deserve to be talked about more because they are World Series contenders, and their ownership is willing to spend, unlike the Sox."

Keep up the fight, my brothers and sisters. :headbang

YASNY,

I don't know if he's read your e-mails, or anyone else's from SoxTalk, but he DID say yesterday on his radio show that "he's tired of getting e-mails from bitter Sox fans."  He said that "the Cubs deserve to be talked about more because they are World Series contenders, and their ownership is willing to spend, unlike the Sox." 

Keep up the fight, my brothers and sisters. :headbang

Yes, he read my email. He responded to me, though it was short and smart-assed.

Honestly, did you expect anything less? :lol:

He's smarmy, that's for sure. He's one of those guys you run into once in a while that you just want to take outside and beat senseless.

I'm still waiting for my response from him.

HOF candidacy in doubt?  Not likely.  He's received the second most MVP votes from 1990-2000.  Only Bonds received more.  You don't think that will be recognized when all is said and done?  A 1.000 OPS through his first 15 seasons?  Baseball writers are a lot smarter than you think.

Are you sure about that? On Sportscenter a couple of months ago, Tim Kurjkian had a list of 1st ballot Hall of Famers. On that list were players like Sosa, Bonds, and A-Rod. Then he had players who still had a good chance at the Hall of Fame, and names like Frank & Bagwell came on that list. You underestimate the power of the home run. Because that helped bring fans back to baseball, it'll always be held in a higher regard. Frank's numbers have been consistent throughout his entire career, while Sosa's have been within the last 6-8 years. Yet because Sammy was involved in that home run race and can hit between 50-60, he'll always be ranked above Frank, fair or not fair. What will be interesting is to see how the dominoes fall once more names are revealed on these steroid lists. Bonds is already on there and Sosa is more than likely to be on there too. I want to see how writers respond to that when it comes time for the voting to begin.

ChiSoxFan,

That was a kickass analysis. Nice job

Thanks Pastime. It's a shame Frank gets ignored while Sammy is revered.

Are you sure about that? On Sportscenter a couple of months ago, Tim Kurjkian had a list of 1st ballot Hall of Famers.  On that list were players like Sosa, Bonds, and A-Rod.  Then he had players who still had a good chance at the Hall of Fame, and names like Frank & Bagwell came on that list.  You underestimate the power of the home run. Because that helped bring fans back to baseball, it'll always be held in a higher regard.  Frank's numbers have been consistent throughout his entire career, while Sosa's have been within the last 6-8 years.  Yet because Sammy was involved in that home run race and can hit between 50-60, he'll always be ranked above Frank, fair or not fair.  What will be interesting is to see how the dominoes fall once more names are revealed on these steroid lists.  Bonds is already on there and Sosa is more than likely to be on there too.  I want to see how writers respond to that when it comes time for the voting to begin.

Thanks Pastime.  It's a shame Frank gets ignored while Sammy is revered.

You can't underestimate the fact that Frank will hold almost all of the all-time White Sox records when all is said and done. We're talking about a team that's been around since the 1870s. Let's see, there's Hits, HRs, RBIs, Walks, Slugging Percentage, OPS, Extra Base Hits, Total Bases, Doubles, etc. I think it's safe to say that he'll never pass up Shoeless Joe as far as batting average is concerned (.356). Shoeless Joe also had a lifetime on base average of .425, and Frank is at that level as of now, so surely, he won't finish ahead of Joe. Luke Appling finished with close to 2800 hits in his career. Frank will pass him by.

I know that he could never play defense, but Ted Williams labeled him as one of the greatest right-handed hitters of all time. That means a lot.

I'd say that he might get screwed over on his first opportunity, but he'll make it at some point. If you were to sit down and look at his resume, it would boggle your mind. I couldn't really say the same about guys like Bagwell, McGriff, or Juan Gonzalez.

ninetyfour, you don't have to convince me. As far as I'm concerned, Frank should be a 1st ballot HOF with no question. However, due to his relation with the media & because alot of them are so enamored with the home run, I don't know if he'll get the respect he deserves. Frank deserves to be in there long before Shammy does. I just feel the writers will feel differently.

ninetyfour, you don't have to convince me.  As far as I'm concerned, Frank should be a 1st ballot HOF with no question.  However, due to his relation with the media & because alot of them are so enamored with the home run, I don't know if he'll get the respect he deserves.  Frank deserves to be in there long before Shammy does.  I just feel the writers will feel differently.

That's Jim's argument. His #'s, in the opinion of many, justify the HOF.. but his love/hate relationship might be an issue. Time will tell..