Reed Article

greasywheels121

Reed's deeds command respect

February 28, 2004

BY DOUG PADILLA Staff Reporter

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The prized jewel of the White Sox farm system, Jeremy Reed, opened even his own eyes last season when he burst on the scene in his second year of professional baseball.

All the 22-year-old left-handed hitter managed to do was bat a combined .373 between Class A Winston-Salem and Class AAA Birmingham, with a .409 average in 66 games (242 at-bats) at Birmingham.

It earned him recognition from Baseball America as the Sox' No. 1 prospect (up 20 spots from last season's poll) and earned him Topps/Minor League Player of the Year honors.

Reed's combined average was the best at all levels of the minors last season, and second place wasn't all that close. Matt Diaz batted .354 between Class AA Orlando and Class AAA Durham.

Only 10 players since 1980 have had a higher minor-league average for one season, a list that includes former and current major-league players such as Erubiel Durazo (.404 in 1990), Kent Hrbek (.379 in 1981) and Kevin McReynolds (.377 in 1983).

"Yeah, overall the season, doing something like that, surprises you toward the end,'' said Reed, a center fielder who also stole 45 bases last season.

"But I feel like I'm capable. I feel like I'm a pretty good hitter, and you just never know when the situations come. You want to take advantage of them, and I felt good about it.''

Back in Chicago, team executives were blown away.

"Yeah, we expected him to hit .400,'' general manager Ken Williams said with a tone of sarcasm. "That's how good we are at evaluating.''

Now that Reed has set a high standard, the team will be watching closely.

"There is an old saying that an old scout told me that I found to be so true, and that is, the good ones come fast,'' Williams said.

While the adage might have some value, Reed's chances of opening the season in the major leagues still could best be described as improbable.

"Aaron [Rowand has] got the first shot; I think Aaron's earned it,'' Williams said. "We're going to give him every chance to be the regular out there. Should Aaron go down for some reason, then Jeremy will get a shot with whomever else we decide to open it up to.''

And if Reed isn't starting for the White Sox, he will be patrolling the outfield at Class AAA Charlotte.

"We won't carry Jeremy as a backup player because his ceiling is just too high,'' Williams said. "I would rather see him play every day.''

The second-round draft pick from Long Beach State, the same program that produced the New York Yankees' Jason Giambi, wouldn't be bothered by that decision.

"I really don't think a whole lot about it,'' he said. "Obviously it's in the back of your mind, that you have a chance. People are saying that I could be [with the Sox for Opening Day]. But for me, it's more or less, I'm going to come out here and take every bit of it in and watch the older guys and see how they go about their work and watch their routines.

"Whether or not I go up there now or later, or whenever, I'm going to learn from the experience.''

Reed's first big test will come Monday when he starts in center field and bats third in the Sox' first intrasquad game. In their second game Tuesday, he will start and bat fifth.

"Any time you get the opportunity, it's a good feeling,'' Reed said. "I'm glad I'm here, I'm glad they're giving me a shot, and when the time comes for me, then that's the time. I'm not going to push anything.''

NOTES: For the second consecutive day, a Sox player was hit near the elbow as Jon Garland took a comebacker off his right arm. Ross Gload's comebacker skipped off the wet grass and hit Garland flush on his pitching arm. The diagnosis was a bruise, and Garland is expected to miss two days before he resumes throwing.

*Williams, on the decision to not invite pitcher Kris Honel, a New Lenox native, to major-league camp: "He wouldn't have gotten any innings. His time will come. Let him experience minor-league life a little more and appreciate some of the things that much more once you get here.''

*Mark Buehrle will start for one side and Esteban Loaiza for the other in the intrasquad game Monday. Each half-inning will last 15 pitches regardless of how many outs have been recorded. Both starters are scheduled to go three innings.

I think the future for these super prospects rests in their hands. Reed could just break it open in Spring Training and be the starting CF'er. However, realistically he probbaly needs seasoning in AAA ball and Rowand is the man. I would like to see Borchard step up and be the 4th OF'er. I think he could see plenty of playing time too filling in at all 3 positions and maybe DH'ing a game here and there. Bernard? Haven't heard anyone say much about him, but it's early.

Rowand deserves to be the CF but my gut instinct tells me he's gonna get hurt sumtime this season crashin into a wall from his reckless style and Reed will be given a shot at CF. That is unless Joe Borchard actually puts together a good season down in Charlotte, becuase I'd think he'd get promoted instead of Reed.

I think the future for these super prospects rests in their hands. Reed could just break it open in Spring Training and be the starting CF'er. However, realistically he probbaly needs seasoning in AAA ball and Rowand is the man. I would like to see Borchard step up and be the 4th OF'er. I think he could see plenty of playing time too filling in at all 3 positions and maybe DH'ing a game here and there. Bernard? Haven't heard anyone say much about him, but it's early.

i agree reed needs some more minor league experience and we got aaron rowand already. I also agree that borchard should be the backup outfielder. He was our number 1 prospect in 2001 and has had a couple of years to play in the minors. i think now is the time for joe borchard.

i agree reed needs some more minor league experience and we got aaron rowand already. I also agree that borchard should be the backup outfielder. He was our number 1 prospect in 2001 and has had a couple of years to play in the minors. i think now is the time for joe borchard.

Yeah. Plus Borchard is not exactly young anymore. He's damn near 25 I think. I think this is make or break for him to do something THIS YEAR...