good Borchard article

aboz56

Major-league expectations

February 29, 2004

BY DOUG PADILLA Staff Reporter

TUCSON, Ariz. -- There is no way to put your head down and plow through whatever is holding you back, and that might be the biggest problem for Joe Borchard.

There is no way to survey your obstacles from up close, call an audible and still have a chance to deliver, and that might be the biggest adjustment for Borchard.

The former Stanford quarterback and first-round White Sox draft pick had been leading a charmed life before going to the minor leagues, but it might be a multisport mentality that has blocked his path to the majors.

General manager Ken Williams, who also played football at Stanford, said a new mental approach might put Borchard on the major-league roster at the start of a season for the first time in his career.

"Baseball/football players, combo players -- I did it myself and I talked to Bo [Jackson] a lot about this -- one of the hardest things to learn in [baseball] is controlled aggression,'' Williams said. "It's a very fast-twitch-muscle game, and you have to have controlled aggression. In football, when things go wrong, you can bone up, so to speak. You can grind it out, work that much more to bring up your level of intensity.

"Here, you better be careful doing that because it throws you completely off. That is, more than anything, one of the things [borchard] has battled the most. That takes time. That takes thousands of at-bats.''

So far, Borchard has come to the plate 424 times in his minor-league and major-league career, and it is much more than he figured he would need before making a splash at the highest level in baseball.

"I think my timetable that I kind of put in my own head was faster than what they had planned for me,'' Borchard said. "Just that added pressure I put on myself only made it worse and compounded the problem. As it is now, I'm happy to be playing baseball and having fun doing it.''

Now would seem to be the time for Borchard, who has been hyped since he was the Sox' first-round pick in the 2000 draft. He received a team-record $5.3 million signing bonus, $3.5 million more than the previous high Jason Stumm received in 1999.

If Borchard can't make the Sox' roster this spring, he is looking at his third full season at Class AAA Charlotte. A sign that he has slipped is that he no longer is considered the team's top outfield prospect. After he was chosen the Sox' top prospect by Baseball America in 2002, he was ranked fifth this offseason. Two outfielders, Jeremy Reed and Ryan Sweeney, were ahead of him.

With Carlos Lee, Aaron Rowand and Magglio Ordonez set to be the Sox' starting outfield this season, only one other outfield spot is expected to be had. Borchard will get his strongest competition for that spot from veteran Marvin Benard, a non-roster invitee who has more than eight years of major-league experience.

"All I can do is what I can do,'' Borchard said. "You don't know what will happen during spring training, other than you put as many good at-bats together as you can and give it the best shot you have. Hopefully, that's what they want.''

What the Sox really would like to see is Borchard continue to reduce his strikeouts, something he made progress at last season. Borchard's .253 batting average and 53 RBI in 114 games at Charlotte might not look too impressive, but the switch hitter had more hits (110) than strikeouts (103) for the first time in three seasons.

"I think that's almost a moot point now,'' Borchard said. "The biggest thing is just kind of clearing my head and allowing myself to play and helping out the team as much as I can. As many things that were bad last year, [the strikeouts were] the one good thing you could look at and say, 'You know what? It was actually a good season.'''

Williams also is looking at the little things as he tries to judge whether Borchard is ready.

"Listen, the numbers don't tell the whole story,'' Williams said. "I've often had to express this to our minor-league staff, and I practiced this as a minor-league director. If you have a guy that's showing you nothing, then all of a sudden he turns the corner, you don't have to wait for the numbers to show that. You use your skills of evaluation.''

Magglio Ordonez batted only .263 at Class AA Birmingham in 1996. But when the organization saw him swinging inside out and hitting to the opposite field, Ordonez was promoted to Class AAA Nashville for the 1997 season. All he did was bat .329 and win the American Association batting title en route to being named MVP.

"We'll know when we see it,'' Williams said of Borchard. "If the numbers are there to support a call-up, great. If they're not, that means we saw something in him that turned a corner. And he's not a guy that will shy away from hard work. He's going to give it everything he has.''

Borchard said he doesn't plan on watching Benard's every move this spring and won't ponder what another season in the minors would mean. He is going to take a stress-free approach and stop bashing his head against a wall, so to speak.

"A lot of times, you can spend so much time obsessing about little things where you are taking away from your abilities, which are why you're here,'' Borchard said. "You just let your athletic ability and your physical talents take over, and it's the best thing you can do for yourself.''

Perhaps the numbers weren't there in 2003, which included a 15-game stint in the majors in which he batted .184 in 49 at-bats. But it wasn't a lost season.

"Everybody's case is different to see how long it will take to make it,'' Borchard said. "Hopefully, you get a little better every season. The more you learn, the better player you will be, and I think I definitely learned a lot last year. It might have been my most productive year as a player.''

JOE BORCHARD TIMELINE

June 1999: Participates in College World Series as sophomore at Stanford.

Fall 1999: Back-to-back 300-yard passing games for Stanford (left) against UCLA and San Jose State.

January 2000: Participates in Rose Bowl as junior at Stanford.

June 2000: Sox' first-round selection (12th overall) in amateur draft; gets record $5.3 million signing bonus.

Summer 2000: Combines to bat .311 between Rookie Tucson, Class A Winston-Salem and Class AA Birmingham.

Summer 2001: Named Southern League All-Star after batting .295 with league-leading 98 RBI at Birmingham.

September 2, 2002: Caps major-league debut with home run in second at-bat (far right) off Toronto Blue Jays' Corey Thurman.

Summer 2002: Ties for third in International League in extra-base hits (57) at Class AAA Charlotte; bats .222 in 36 at-bats with Sox.

June 9, 2003: Fifteen-game major-league stint ends after he goes 4-for-31 (.129) in his final 10 games.

Summer 2003: Bats .253 with 13 home runs and 53 RBI in 114 games with Charlotte; bats .184 in 49 at-bats with Sox.

Doug Padilla

Like many, I surely hope this is the spring that Joe finally puts it all together and breaks with the big club.

I hope Joe can turn it around too. It's fun to think about what our outfield will be 3 years from now? Ideally, I want to keep Lee and Maggs. CF is up for grabs, but out of the current major league outfielders and the minors, somebody is going to have to go. I just hope it isn't both Maggs and Lee.

I've been thinking about Joe for a week or two now and I think it would be best for him if he can break camp with the Sox as a 4th OF. Expectations would be lower and he wouldn't be playing everyday. While that is not a good prescription for most young OF's. I think it could work with Joe.

Borchard's problems are mental, not physical.The physical adjustments in his swing won't come until he can clear his head and stop putting so much pressure on himself. Joe beats himself up after every bad at bat and thinks way too much. He tightens up when he needs to relax. Perhaps getting lost on the bench of the big league roster is what he needs to get himself back on track.

FWIW, Borchard has 1579 AB's in his career, not 424 as mentioned in the article. I have no idea where that came from.

I've been thinking about Joe for a week or two now and I think it would be best for him if he can break camp with the Sox as a 4th OF.  Expectations would be lower and he wouldn't be playing everyday.  While that is not a good prescription for most young OF's. I think it could work with Joe. 

Borchard's problems are mental, not physical.The physical adjustments in his swing won't come until he can clear his head and stop putting so much pressure on himself.  Joe beats himself up after every bad at bat and thinks way too much.  He tightens up when he needs to relax.  Perhaps getting lost on the bench of the big league roster is what he needs to get himself back on track.

FWIW, Borchard has 1579 AB's in his career, not 424 as mentioned in the article.  I have no idea where that came from.

I agree with you Rex. Too many times a team with a potential star player will push the guy and if he falters they drop him like a hot potato(e). I like Joe's make up and maybe him being the 4th OF'er will give him the opportunity to learn to deal with the pressure a bit better. I think the rookie has a great chance to be a great player. Being with Ozzie & Walker all year and playing with the likes of Frank, Maggs, Lee, PK, etc, can only help Joe B.

I've been thinking about Joe for a week or two now and I think it would be best for him if he can break camp with the Sox as a 4th OF.  Expectations would be lower and he wouldn't be playing everyday.  While that is not a good prescription for most young OF's. I think it could work with Joe. 

Borchard's problems are mental, not physical.The physical adjustments in his swing won't come until he can clear his head and stop putting so much pressure on himself.  Joe beats himself up after every bad at bat and thinks way too much.  He tightens up when he needs to relax.  Perhaps getting lost on the bench of the big league roster is what he needs to get himself back on track.

FWIW, Borchard has 1579 AB's in his career, not 424 as mentioned in the article.  I have no idea where that came from.

Thanks for clearin that up. I knew there was no way he had only 424 at-bats in his career...

Nearly 1,600 at bats, not to mention all of the at bats in college, and the guy is still a headcase. He's 26 years old. That's an old prospect right there.

We have a sure thing in Reed, and we have to find a way to keep Ordonez and Lee, not to mention Aaron Rowand. We need to deal Borchard while he still has some value.

Nearly 1,600 at bats, not to mention all of the at bats in college, and the guy is still a headcase.  He's 26 years old.  That's an old prospect right there.

We have a sure thing in Reed, and we have to find a way to keep Ordonez and Lee, not to mention Aaron Rowand.  We need to deal Borchard while he still has some value.

Headcase is an awfully strong word. His problems being mental are because he is too hard on himself. He doesn't help himself because he tries too hard and tenses up, rather than relaxing and letting the game come to him.

Headcase to me means attitude problems.

Headcase is an awfully strong word.  His problems being mental are because he is too hard on himself.  He doesn't help himself because he tries too hard and tenses up, rather than relaxing and letting the game come to him. 

Headcase to me means attitude problems.

Headcase in that he can't control his emotions, kind of like Paulie. But Paulie has succeeded in spite of this. Most are not as fortunate.

Headcase in that he can't control his emotions, kind of like Paulie.  But Paulie has succeeded in spite of this.  Most are not as fortunate.

Guess it depends on how you define the word..... You could spam about 5,000 emails to Kenny Williams telling him to trade him!

Reed hasnt played in AAA yet, but yet you think he can hit .290 this season? Gimme a break. Im just as excited about Reed as the next guy, but the way some people talk about this kid around here, if he doesnt hit 320 his sophmore year, we should be worried. :bang

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Frank ever sniff AAA action? I think not. Plate discipline is confirmed by the OPS numbers. If a guy has very, very high OPS numbers in AA, chances are that he's ready to take on most of the 3rd starters and all of the 4th and 5th starters in the bigs, unless we're talking about Houston, New York, Boston, or the Cubs. Sure, he'll go 0-4 against Pedro, but I don't mind. He'll learn.

I have the belief that Reed was vastly underrated before last year and overrated now. He had a tremendous year last year, but I'm not ready for him to play everyday yet. I guess it's nice to have him if Maggs bolts, but I hope having Reed in the minors is never a reason to get rid of a proven superstar in Maggs.

I've said elsewhere that I think that Bernard will be our 4th OFer but there's nothing wrong with Joe taking Gload's spot. He could use the major league AB's alot more than Gload and since Gload can't play 3rd and we already have 2 1stbaseman jockeying for playng time he won't be missed.

I wonder if the Sox would give Borchard some time at 1b in ST.

It would be more likely for them to have CLee play some at 1st, with neither Frank or Kong signed past '05(and no 1st baseman in the pipe) and the emergence of a possible OF of ARow, Reed, and Borchard the move of Lee to 1st could be inevitable.

I've been thinking about Joe B. making the team and the one big reason holding him back for at least the first month is to preserve a yr of arb eligibility. With the Sox, that could definitely be an overriding factor.

Don't think so. Even Jeremy Reed played some first base for Long Beach I think, but I think Ross Gload will become the backup first baseman. And Borchard's no good just sitting on da bench as a fourth outfielder, he needs to get as many AB's as he can to improve his plate discpline and swing, I don't want him called up from Charlotte until July - August at the earliest.