Thomas a born leader

greasywheels121

Good article about Thomas and other notes about the Sox....

Thomas a born leader

Notes: Thomas a born leader

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Don't look for Frank Thomas to throw himself in front of the television cameras on a daily basis, proclaiming how the White Sox are his team and its success runs through the powerful designated hitter.

Don't expect him to move around the locker room from stall to stall, delivering fiery speeches in an attempt to pump up his team for a big game. That's not Thomas' style.

But it doesn't make the 15-year veteran any less of a leader. Thomas' raw ability and the fact that he anchors the third spot in a potent batting order automatically makes him one of the team's more integral pieces. His advice and informal baseball counseling of young players make him that much more important.

"He tells me some of the things I have to do to be successful in this league," said White Sox catcher Miguel Olivo of Thomas' advice. "He's really good to me, and it's good when you can talk to someone who has been in the big leagues for a long time, like Frank or Sandy [Alomar], about those things."

Thomas was a major supporter last season of second baseman D'Angelo Jimenez, whose laid-back style and mistakes in the field and on the bases led people to criticize his work ethic. Jimenez eventually was released, but Thomas did not forget him when the White Sox made a move for the Central Division title.

"I told guys they couldn't forget him when we were voting shares," said Thomas of Jimenez, one of the team's main offensive weapons during a lackluster first half. "D.J. carried us in April and May."

Maybe Thomas could relate to Jimenez's problems. Characterized as moody or distant in the past, the two-time Most Valuable Player was a changed man in 2003, by his own admission. He surmised that some people thought it was an act on his part, putting forth his best behavior with a possible foray into free agency on the horizon.

Seemingly, the "new" Thomas is still around in 2004, an important factor during former teammate Ozzie Guillen's first year in charge. It's the media, not to mention other players, who usually seek out Thomas, instead of the other way around. Thomas almost always replies.

"I've been a leader, and I don't know what I have to do to show I'm a leader," Thomas said. "I don't sit in front of the media, showing off and acting like a leader. But if guys go through rough times, they can lean on me and I'm there for them."

Spring's real season: Preparation for a winning season officially ended Sunday, according to Guillen. It's time for the players to apply those principles on the field, with intrasquad games Monday and Tuesday and the first Cactus League game Thursday against Arizona.

"[Today] is when the party starts," said Guillen after Sunday's workout. "The practice pretty much went real good, and we're ready to play our first game. I can't wait for that to happen."

Guillen broke off into a talk about live-game action when asked who had impressed him through the early stages of Spring Training. The first-year manager mentioned pitchers Jason Grilli, Jon Rauch and Mike Jackson all throwing the ball well, and had singled out pitcher Frank Campos and infielder Juan Uribe in recent days.

Those value judgments don't mean much until the skills are shown on the field, from Guillen's estimation. It's especially true for young players.

"No one has come on because everybody is good in Spring Training," Guillen said. "Maybe Friday I can tell you who's the guy who impressed me the most because I'll get a chance to see them throw and hit and play baseball.

"You can't judge how someone is throwing in the bullpen or pitching against your own teammate with a screen in front of you. Right now, if I say somebody impressed me, then I would lie."

Intrasquad setup: Monday's first contest against the minor leaguers will be played on Field 4 at Tucson Electric Park, so Guillen can also keep an eye on the veterans going through hitting drills on the opposite field. Jon Garland, struck by a Ross Gload line drive Friday, will be ready to work three innings as planned.

No position promises: Young players such as Willie Harris and Aaron Rowand will have the first and most frequent opportunities to hold down their starting spots at second and in center, respectively. But Monday begins the stage of camp where they will be challenged to hold on to those jobs.

"Willie is there now, but you have to win the battle," said Guillen of Harris at second. "Obviously, we want him there, but you've got to go there and do the job. Rowand should go there and prove to me that he can play in the big leagues. It's not 100 percent there, but those are the people we're going to watch."

Guillen mentioned that the biggest challenges for these players would come from within, as opposed to other players.

Full speed ahead: Although Joe Borchard struggled offensively last season, he took solace in the fact that he helped Triple-A Charlotte defensively. At 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds, there have been doubts as to whether Borchard has the makeup to captain the outfield in center at the Major League level.

Borchard is not one of those detractors.

"I can legitimately play center field, and I've proven I can do that," Borchard said. "At the end of last season, I was making great plays to help our team win.

"My goal at that point was to help the team in any way possible. When I would make a great defensive play to end the inning or make a throw to keep the runner from taking the extra base, it made the game much more fun."

The first step in going for a ball has been Borchard's most important defensive adjustment in professional baseball, being that he takes a little more time to get going. He has trained hard using 10-yard sprints and mentioned that his times are getting lower and lower.

We're big fans: Borchard and fellow prospect Jeremy Reed took five minutes after practice to accommodate a group of fans seeking autographs. The supporters came with their minor league baseball cards in hand.

"They had a bunch of my cards and stuff, so I tried to take care of them as best as I can," Borchard said. "They seem to be serious White Sox fans."

Critics' picks: With preparation for the upcoming baseball season taking up most of their time, there weren't many amateur critics to be found in the White Sox locker room in regards to possible Academy Award winners Sunday night.

"If Tim Robbins doesn't win Best Supporting Actor for 'Mystic River,' then it's a fraud," White Sox reliever Kelly Wunsch said. "He was awesome in that movie."

"I thought 'Seabiscuit' was great," Borchard said. "But I don't pay attention to movies. My wife reads People and US magazines, so she could let you know."

"I'm not at movies like I used to be," Thomas added. "There are always surprises, so I'll definitely watch it."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to approval by Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Good article. I've always thought Frank has gotten a bad rap in the press. Maybe he's not as rah-rah like some, but still, leadership by example can't be ignored. I think if Frank is happy throughout this year, he can carry this club on his back and get us back to the postseason.

And as for Wunsch belief that Robbins should win for Mystic River: He was right. Robbins won Best Supporting Actor.

A good article, Frank has made an effort lately to be a good teammate. Giving guys like Olivo advice is a nice to see out of spring training :cheers

I'm with you 100%. Thomas has gotten a lot better lately with his attitude and hopefully it will play out well on the field when things got started. Yeah he has gotten a bad rap in the news the last few years but a good deal of that was his own fault. Here's hoping that is all behind him.

Nuke,

Sometimes it just takes guys a little longer than others to finally find the middle ground. And take it from me, the Chicago media looks for anything negative to write about. If not for negativity, they wouldn't have much to say or write.

I've always thought Frank has gotten a bad rap in the press. Maybe he's not as rah-rah like some, but still, leadership by example can't be ignored.

You're way off. Unless you holler once in a while, mouth off sporadically in the media, and hit .237, you aren't the team leader.

Right, Jose?

Nuke,

Sometimes it just takes guys a little longer than others to finally find the middle ground.  And take it from me, the Chicago media looks for anything negative to write about.  If not for negativity, they wouldn't have much to say or write.

I've always thought Frank has gotten a bad rap in the press. Maybe he's not as rah-rah like some, but still, leadership by example can't be ignored.

You're way off.  Unless you holler once in a while, mouth off sporadically in the media,  and hit .237, you aren't the team leader. 

Right, Jose?

As long as I show up against our our series against da Scrubs, it'll be fine. :nono