Mariotti and his latest "Cubbie love"

CSF

Will a downfall happen? Will all the hype lead to a crash?? not likely!

Which is exactly the point.

At the very, very, very least, they will break their 32-year streak of not having back-to-back winning seasons, and I could see them very easily winning 100 or even 105-110...their rotation if at 100% the whole year, is frighteningly good...you have Prior who is a stud, Wood who can be lights out, Maddux who is one of the most consistent pitchers of our time, Zambrano who can be quite good, and Clement who can be quite good and is their #5 starter. They also have Juan Cruz as a #6 starter, so they really won't slow down a ton if Wood/Zambrano/Clement get hurt. They have a decent lineup, and as they have proven in the past, if they need to add a piece at the deadline, they will. They also have a very good manager who could quite possibly lead them to some very good things in the end.

Hype does not lead to crashes(not usually anyways). What leads to them is a team that is too old with too many egos on it that is inconsistent with the wrong man heading the show...ala the 2002 Mets. The Cubs are not old, they do have egos, but they have about 2 or 3 of them, they are not incredibly inconsistent, and they have the right man heading the show. I see no reason for failure other then mass injuries, and I see no reason for mass injuries either. Therefore, as sad as it is, I see no reason why the Cubs cannot be a playoff team again.

Are you supporting those assholes on the northside. It sounds like it to me. :fthecubs

(I assume you're talking to me)

Not at all. I hate that Cubs...anyone here can tell you that. But when a team has 5 good starting pitchers, a good bullpen, a solid lineup, and a good manager, the team is going to be good, period. I think the Yankees are going to be good, does that mean I support the Yankees? :nono

Not at all.  I hate that Cubs...anyone here can tell you that.  But when a team has 5 good starting pitchers, a good bullpen, a solid lineup, and a good manager, the team is going to be good, period.  I think the Yankees are going to be good, does that mean I support the Yankees?  :nono

That's what they were saying about the '84 Sox too.

Not at all.  I hate that Cubs...anyone here can tell you that.  But when a team has 5 good starting pitchers, a good bullpen, a solid lineup, and a good manager, the team is going to be good, period.  I think the Yankees are going to be good, does that mean I support the Yankees?  :nono

I don't know, their starting pitching is very solid, but their lineup and bullpen are both question marks in my mind.

Who knows what Sosa's numbers will look like this year with the steroid testing being mandatory. Alou is not getting any younger and seems to be do for another injury. Will Patterson be the same after his injury? And Borowski is no Gagne. And if he falters I don't think Hawkins is as good of a closer as he is a setup man.

Sure, the Cubs will compete and are now one of the top 3 teams in the NL Central talent wise, but they're no lock to win the division.

I'm so sick of Jay and the s*** he writes everyday. He should spend less time on around the horn and more time writing better articles. When those northside asswipes fall flat on their ass I'm going to call that son of b**** and let him have it. All this talk about the cubs is making me sick I can't wait for the season to start so we can kick their ass like we did last year. :fthecubs  :bringit

THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

This guy has 12 posts to his name and I like him already!!

:headbang

That's what they were saying about the '84 Sox too.

And that's one exception out of how many?

Bones....Sosa may not put up .300 50 150 that he's put up in the past, but he will almost undoubtedly put up atleast .280 35 120, and with the rotation and bullpen of that team, that will be good enough. For Alou, if he hits .280 20 80, that will be good enough. If Patterson is not as good as he was last year, they'll go out and get a CFer who will put up solid numbers(hell, they had 3 third-basemen last year before finally settling on one, I'm sure if necessary they'll do the same for CF). Their bullpen has Cruz/Wellemeyer/Mercker, Alfonseca, Remlinger, Farnsworth, Hawkins, and Borowski, and if a closer is needed, I'm sure they'd be more then willing to dish out a little dough to Ugueth Urbina and get him to come along, or maybe another closer becomes available at the deadline...they'd almost undoubtedly add a piece if they needed to.

Personally, as I said, sad as it is, I think the only thing that stops them is an overwhelming amount of injuries(which sort of ties into the 1984 White Sox, and while it wasn't all injuries, it was awful...I can't exactly remember that year with me not being alive and all, but I do recall someone saying that Hoyt's career eventually ended because of drugs. From what I have heard/read, in 1984, the Chicago White Sox were bit in the ass by Murphy's Law...I can only hope that happens to the 2004 Chicago Cubs, because right now, I don't see a whole lot of anything that's going to stop them)

And that's one exception out of how many?

Bones....Sosa may not put up .300 50 150 that he's put up in the past, but he will almost undoubtedly put up atleast .280 35 120, and with the rotation and bullpen of that team, that will be good enough.  For Alou, if he hits .280 20 80, that will be good enough.  If Patterson is not as good as he was last year, they'll go out and get a CFer who will put up solid numbers(hell, they had 3 third-basemen last year before finally settling on one, I'm sure if necessary they'll do the same for CF).  Their bullpen has Cruz/Wellemeyer/Mercker, Alfonseca, Remlinger, Farnsworth, Hawkins, and Borowski, and if a closer is needed, I'm sure they'd be more then willing to dish out a little dough to Ugueth Urbina and get him to come along, or maybe another closer becomes available at the deadline...they'd almost undoubtedly add a piece if they needed to.

Personally, as I said, sad as it is, I think the only thing that stops them is an overwhelming amount of injuries(which sort of ties into the 1984 White Sox, and while it wasn't all injuries, it was awful...I can't exactly remember that year with me not being alive and all, but I do recall someone saying that Hoyt's career eventually ended because of drugs.  From what I have heard/read, in 1984, the Chicago White Sox were bit in the ass by Murphy's Law...I can only hope that happens to the 2004 Chicago Cubs, because right now, I don't see a whole lot of anything that's going to stop them)

Keep in mind, the Cubs still have to actually go out and play the games before they can claim the 2004 NL Central division title. Nothing is carved in stone yet.

They are a team of Dustiny™...that means he will overmanage(or undermanage) and let his pitchers go deep into games again and throw 140 pitches and atleast 2 of them will be on the DL by mid-July. I'm guessing Wood and Clement. Then we will see how stable they are.