Spring Training Game

DBAHO

From da Trib,

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Manager Ozzie Guillen got his first look at his pitchers during a game situation Monday and liked what he saw.

"I can't be more pleased with what they did," he said. "The first game is always the hardest."

Guillen put together a lineup of prospects to face a lineup of the organization's minor-leaguers. But the pitching staff was made up of guys who are expected to be on the Opening Day roster.

The Sox tried to limit the staff to 15 pitches an inning, regardless of how many outs there were. The minor-leaguers scored the only run in the game off Jon Garland. Catcher Ryan Hankins tripled to right and scored on a wild pitch.

Mark Buehrle threw 38 pitches in his three innings of work, 25 for strikes. He allowed three hits.

"I'm glad to get that out of the way for him," pitching coach Don Cooper said. "He's got three innings under the belt, so we're getting where we need to go." …

Perhaps the most impressive performance of the day belonged to reliever Cliff Politte. The free agent from Toronto pitched one inning and struck out the side. He threw 14 strikes among his 16 pitches. "That just didn't sound right," he said of the statistic. … Ross Gload, who is hoping to make the team as a backup outfielder and first baseman, has made an impression on Guillen. "I like his swing and his work ethic," Guillen said. "He's a left-handed hitter. He has a good shot." …

The Sox released their TV schedule Monday. The season opener April 5 at Kansas City will be on WGN-Ch. 9 at 2 p.m.; the home opener April 13 against the Royals will be on Fox Sports Net at 1 p.m. The Sox will have five games on WFLD-Ch. 32 and one Sunday game, June 6 at Seattle, on ESPN. … Single-game tickets for home games go on sale March 13 at U.S. Cellular Field. Tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster at 312-559-1212 and 866-SOX-GAME.

I hope Gload makes it. I know he's not as versatile as Tony G was, but he can play 1B, OF, and 3B (not sure about that) and would be a lefty bat off the bench. He could be our supersub for offense, and Uribe the same for defense.

With Bernard as our fourth outfielder, Uribe as our utility second and shortstop, and having twelve pitchers on the roster, Gload would fit in nicely as a back up first baseman in addition to Frank as well as a 5th outfielder/pinch hitter. I also like Hankins to make the final bench spot as a guy who can give Crede a few days off at third, a few other infield spots, and also has recently added to his versatility- catching skills. We need a guy who can cover third, but if that guy can have a solid bat and back up as a third catcher as well, that would be great. That's the way I see it now, but if someone else steps up and makes things interesting, all the better. :)

With Bernard as our fourth outfielder, Uribe as our utility second and shortstop, and having twelve pitchers on the roster, Gload would fit in nicely as a back up first baseman in addition to Frank as well as a 5th outfielder/pinch hitter. I also like Hankins to make the final bench spot as a guy who can give Crede a few days off at third, a few other infield spots, and also has recently added to his versatility- catching skills. We need a guy who can cover third, but if that guy can have a solid bat and back up as a third catcher as well, that would be great. That's the way I see it now, but if someone else steps up and makes things interesting, all the better. :)

Seal, with Alomar, Bernard, Gload and Uribe there are no other spots available on the bench if they go with 12 pitchers.

No room for Hankins....

Expound on that, Rex.  You sound fairly certain.  Not that I disagree, but why?

Because he has earned the chance. He can play 1B and OF, which will complement Uribe and Bernard well. He hits LH. Because I have a feeling. :)

And because I don't think there are any other viable options, unless they keep Borchard, but I don't think they will want him being a 5th OF. If Borchard makes the club, it will likely be in Bernard's place.

That work?

Because he has earned the chance.  He can play 1B and OF, which will complement Uribe and Bernard well.  He hits LH.  Because I have a feeling.  :) 

And because I don't think there are any other viable options, unless they keep Borchard, but I don't think they will want him being a 5th OF.  If Borchard makes the club, it will likely be in Bernard's place. 

That work?

Works for me. I was looking for Gload to make the team as well, for basically the same reasons you mentioned. Even though, I didn't know he also play some OF. That's an added bonus.

Works for me.  I was looking for Gload to make the team as well, for basically the same reasons you mentioned. Even though, I didn't know he also play some OF.  That's an added bonus.

Gload will be on the bench, I've got no doubts about that. He's put up the numbers in the minors, time to test him at the Major League Level. Being a LH helps him tremendously, he's just been stuck behind players like Todd Helton. Borchard needs more time at Charlotte, no good to hav him sittin his ass on the bench every day.

Borchard needs more time at Charlotte, no good to hav him sittin his ass on the bench every day.

I'll disagree with you on this one. I think Borchard would get the boost of confidence he needs if he makes the squad out of Spring Training. He's spent plenty of time in the minors and to send him back down could hurt him mentally, although he seems to be past that stage and just having fun now. I hope he beats Bernard for the reserve OF spot.

I honestly don't think Borchard makes this team. Moreso, I think Jeremy Reed can beat him out for the 25th spot if its available at all. It will be nice to see Gload on the bench, cause we will desperately need a left-handed stick late in games.

Hot Damn!!! Baseball is back!! :headbang :headbang

I'll disagree with you on this one. I think Borchard would get the boost of confidence he needs if he makes the squad out of Spring Training. He's spent plenty of time in the minors and to send him back down could hurt him mentally, although he seems to be past that stage and just having fun now. I hope he beats Bernard for the reserve OF spot.

I don't think Borchard will see any extended time with the big club until they feel he is ready to be be an everyday major leaguer. At least through this season.

I don't think Borchard will see any extended time with the big club until they feel he is ready to be be an everyday major leaguer.  At least through this season.

My thoughts too, I also think if Borchard and Reed are both down at Charlotte competitin for a possible outfield spot later in the season, they'll only push each otha to do betta and betta. Good to hav sum healthy competition, even if it's only in da minors.

The minor-leaguers scored the only run in the game off Jon Garland.

My word, it's starting already. J/K. :lol:

Gload can be a backup 1B and a valuable left-handed stick off the bench. He'll be replacing the spot that Daubach kept warm last year.

So which pitchers are in?

Buehrle

Loaiza

Garland

Scho

_______ Diaz, Rauch, Wright, Pacheco, Grilli, ...

Koch

Shingo

Marte

Politte

Wunsch

________

________ Jackson, Munoz, Wright, Grilli, ....

I really don't want Wright starting, I like him better in the long relief role, but if Wright doesn get the number 5 spot, I'd go with Jackson and Munoz in the pen, and if anyone else gets the last starters spot, Jackson and Wright.

Gload will make the team.

I think so too. Listening to what Ozzie says about him makes one believe he has the inside on a spot plus he is LH. I don't know if I would be so quick to think Benard has a spot though. Borchard might have something to say about that.

If Borchard has a good spring, I hope they bring him up instead of Benard.

Borchard has much more long-term potential for the Sox than Benard does, I would think, and if the Sox are expecting Maggs to leave, then it might do Borchard some good to have already been on the team if he's the guy who has to try to replace Maggs.

It might be more difficult to have his first extended stint in the bigs happen with the expectations that replacing an All-Star would bring. Of course, that job might go to Jeremy Reed instead of Borchard anyway, so maybe my point is moot.

I hope that makes sense to you guys - made sense to me when I wrote it... :D