SI article on Joe Borchard

CSF

Borchard sticking with baseball

Borchard not ready to return to football

Posted: Monday March 1, 2004 11:45AM; Updated: Monday March 1, 2004 11:45AM

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -- Joe Borchard isn't ready to give up baseball and return to football -- like Drew Henson -- even though he's still not made his mark with the Chicago White Sox.

At 6-foot-5, 220 pounds, Borchard was a standout quarterback at Stanford and projected by some scouts to be chosen in the first three rounds of the NFL draft if he would have played his senior year. Instead, he signed a lucrative deal with the White Sox.

Henson was a star quarterback at Michigan before choosing baseball. But he struggled in the New York Yankees' system and decided this year to return to football. He recently held a tryout for NFL scouts.

"That's Drew's decision and you have to respect that, but I honestly have no thoughts of doing that. Didn't even get a little glint in my eye," said Borchard, who played in the Rose Bowl while at Stanford.

Borchard, who holds the Pac-10 record for the longest touchdown pass (98 yards), knows switching sports at this point wouldn't be easy.

"I guess you could see it being physically possible in a hypothetical sense, but I think the more time you spend away from it, the more difficult it is," he said. "Certainly in my case, it's the furthest thing from my mind. Football is a game that you love and you never stop thinking about it, but the more and more I get away from it, the less I think about it."

Borchard already has enough to think about. He's a .200 hitter with just one home run in 85 major-league at-bats and has been plagued in the minors by strikeouts.

He's gone from the No. 1 prospect in the organization by Baseball America the past two seasons to the No. 6 prospect entering this season.

Considering the Sox gave him a club-record $5.3 million signing bonus back in 2000, pressure is beginning to build.

"We've seen more than just a glimpse," Sox general Ken Williams said of Borchard. "We've seen him perform in pretty good stretches. He ended the season with a pretty good approach, a more solid approach, and had success doing it. Hopefully, it's a carryover."

In 2001, Borchard hit .295 with 27 homers and 98 RBI for Double-A Birmingham. He did strikeout 158 times that season, while drawing 67 walks, but the excitement surrounding him was high.

For Triple-A Charlotte in 2002, he hit .272 with 20 homers and 59 RBI, while striking out 139 times and walking 49 times. He was called up to the big-league team late that season, homering twice in 16 games.

Last year, Borchard started in Charlotte but was called up in late May, as the Sox were struggling to find an every day center fielder.

After starting off hot with a 2-for-4 performance against Detroit on May 25, and then homering off eventual Cy Young Award winner Roy Halladay two days later, Borchard went into a bad slump.

A 4-for-31 (.129) rut over his final 10 games led to him being sent down.

When he first returned to Charlotte, his struggles continued. With three weeks left, he was hitting just .220 for the Knights.

"It took me telling myself, 'You know what, I'm going to do whatever it takes to win games.' That's when I started playing well again. I was just going to go out there and play, have fun and be as positive as I could," he said.

Borchard ended his season with the Knights on a 12-game hitting streak, going 21-for-47 (.447) in that time. He then put the bat down, got married this offseason, and stayed as far away from baseball as he could.

Borchard comes into camp this spring hoping to land a spot as a reserve outfielder. That's all he's asking for at this point.

"It hasn't been the easiest road, but now I have an opportunity here to help this team," Borchard said.

"Is it my time? We'll soon find out."

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I heard George Offman talking bout Borchard and he said Borchard admits he regressed after he got caught up with the numbers when he hit around 25 HRs. Borchard also said he is improve physically and mentally regarding his baseball skills.

I hope he makes it out soon because we were all excited of all the possibilities.

I was kinda surprised that Walker wasn't able to straighten him out the past couple years.

Joe, unlike Henson, has shown some flashes in his minor league career.  I think there's definitely promise left for Borchard.

And Joe is EXTREMELY smart. His hitting clinic last year at Soxfest was fasinating. Almost makes me wonder if he is thinking too much.

And Joe is EXTREMELY smart.  His hitting clinic last year at Soxfest was fasinating.  Almost makes me wonder if he is thinking too much.

That is likely the case, along with him probably being too hard on himself as well.

I hope he gets it together, because he could be an impact player some day.

And Joe is EXTREMELY smart. His hitting clinic last year at Soxfest was fasinating. Almost makes me wonder if he is thinking too much.

That is likely the case, along with him probably being too hard on himself as well.

You both have hit it on the head. His problems are between his ears. Or more specifically, he is unable to correct his problems and creates more because he is too hard on himself. He then thinks too much and puts too much pressure on himself.

He just needs to relax and play and it will come.

You both have hit it on the head. His problems are between his ears. Or more specifically, he is unable to correct his problems and creates more because he is too hard on himself. He then thinks too much and puts too much pressure on himself.

He just needs to relax and play and it will come.

well said rex. if he justs lets everything come to him and stop worrying so much he'll be fine.

Hmmm I dont know if its the drugs, but Im seeing Borchard as our starting CF by the end of the year.

SB

Might be the drugs....... might not be.....

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in RF by the end of the season.

Wow, that is not going to be popular... lol

My statement is nothing against A-Row, but if Borchard starts to really turn it up a notch, he could have a real impact on our line up. I hope A-Row puts up damn fine competition, just if Borchard has a heigher cieling (I hate using cliches like that), I hope he wins the job.

SB

I'd like to see everyone perform well too, but "sheesh" What will management do if all perform well? Use some for trade bait? Heck, we'd have Maggs, C Lee, A Row, Borch, and Reed. Nice to have too many rather than not have enough. Hate to see any of them go!

I'd like to see everyone perform well too, but "sheesh" What will management do if all perform well? Use some for trade bait? Heck, we'd have Maggs, C Lee, A Row, Borch, and Reed. Nice to have too many rather than not have enough. Hate to see any of them go!

They'll rock, paper, scissor each day to see who plays.

Might be the drugs....... might not be.....

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in RF by the end of the season.

Wow, that is not going to be popular...  lol

No it isn't, but it is still a very possible option. I wouldn't discount KW tradin him if we got a very nice offa from a team still in contention like Oakland or LA.

I think the fact that JB got away from baseball over the off season will help him immensely. I'm sure he had to have a certain amount of burnout. He's worked very hard since he's signed. Taking a break, clearing his mind and relaxing may be just the ticket for him to step up.