Why I didn't renew my tickets this year.

southsider2k5

I just got the brochure for the "Starting Nine" ticket plan in the mail. I had calmed down about ticket prices, but this got me all riled up again.

Here it is in black and white. For the past 3 years through all of the ticket price increases my wife and I have always gotten the 7 game plan. We always would get openning day, the 3 Cubs games, fan appreciation day, and two other good match ups. (usually one NL team and a Twins game). Last year this cost me $290 for the two sets of tickets in the outfield reserved seats. 2 of the games I requested I didn't even get the seats I asked for. In order to get that same plan, plus the two extra games that you have to buy, it would cost me $472 or a 61% increase out of my pocket. And that is just 2003 vs 2004. I am sure it would be 125-150% increase if I went back to 2000. Any one out there gotten a 61% pay increase in the last year, or making double what they were in 2000? I know I haven't.

This is one fan who has been priced out of the market.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I blame you.

You have to make your decisions based on what you're able and willing to pay.

I'm doing it this way this year:

Bought my daughter a membership in the Silver and Black Pack, so I'll go to 3 games with her. ( We'll probably upgrade the seats to the lower level )

Going to maybe 2 or 3 other games on a single-game purchase.

Going to 2 games at Wrigley ( my wife's a Cub fan ).

Probably going to a minor-league game or two ( Schaumburg or Joliet ).

That's a decent amount of baseball for one year.

Actually I did a little more research just to emphasize my point.  In 2000 the same ticket plan cost $206.  And don't forget that parking only cost $10 in 2000, so you can add another $65 for the extra two games of parking, plus the extra $5 a game. 

:angry:

I hate to add fuel to your fire.. but parking is $16 this year.. :ph34r:

:lol:

See my gripe is that, I understand that prices go up ever year, every teams does, cause thats how sports work, but I just dont understand what were paying extra for. On paper this team looks worse than last year(I still think we will be fine, but you guys know what I mean) and yet, there is a significant hike in ticket prices. What is the extra money for? If im in NY, im happy to pay more than last year to see then Yankees, cause they went out, and spent a bunch of money to try and make there team better. Same with the Phills, 'Stros, and even Cubs. But what are WE paying more for?

Fresher churros???

:huh :D

as a split season ticket holder I was not thrilled to see my tickets cost more.

As I said last fall when they started removing seats, fewer seats meant higher costs.

the lost revenue has to be made up somehwere (and how long will it take someone to say "no one sat up there anyway" which is bull but I digress...)

BTW during a fit of inspiration, I sent an email to the Sox that was basically a cut and paste of my post, and included the 2000 comparision, and an overview of wage differencials during the same time span. I will post a response if I get one, but the Sox are notoriously bad about replying to email, so I am not holding my breath.

BTW during a fit of inspiration, I sent an email to the Sox that was basically a cut and paste of my post, and included the 2000 comparision, and an overview of wage differencials during the same time span.  I will post a response if I get one, but the Sox are notoriously bad about replying to email, so I am not holding my breath.

Did you have a assigned rep last year? Make sure you send it to them.. and add that you might still renew (they are still taking orders despite the posted cut off date) and that might increase the chances of getting a response.

Did you have a assigned rep last year? Make sure you send it to them.. and add that you might still renew (they are still taking orders despite the posted cut off date) and that might increase the chances of getting a response.

I didn't have an assigned rep. I just faxed it in to the general number last year. And honestly I didn't want to say anything about renewing just because I am more curious to see if they will say anything or not. Even if I wanted to with the cost of the new car, there is no way I could renew anyway.

Mike, so you buy 4-5 games from me at $59/game and it costs you either $236 or $295, and you get to pick the games.

They're in the bleachers, that's what you wanted, right?

Mike, so you buy 4-5 games from me at $59/game and it costs you either $236 or $295, and you get to pick the games.

They're in the bleachers, that's what you wanted, right?

Did you not find a taker for your seats I take it? Like I said earlier, I have zero extra money right now anyway. Now two things will change that... #1 if I can get this new job I am trying for it will be a big raise. #2 we will get caught up with our bills by the end of March, middle of April.

The extra costs of the new car are beating us up right now. We switched insurance at the sametime and it is costing us an extra $500 for the downpayments for the new policies.

No f***ing way!!!!!!!!!!!! This is bulls***. :angry:

to me it sounds very republican :lol:

he has a commodity for sale and sells it at the highest price he can and you all b****?

to complain about over pricing, one must first be a Democrat!

:cheers :usa :usa :headbang :headbang :headbang :snr :usa :usa

to me it sounds very republican :lol:

he has a commodity for sale and sells it at the highest price he can and you all b****?

to complain about over pricing, one must first be a Democrat!

:cheers  :usa  :usa  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :snr  :usa  :usa

I don't know about him, but I am going to do the smart business move and go find it cheaper somewhere else... :bang

You guys complained forever about how the $58 Mil. payroll was inusfficinet, so they raised the payroll but also had to raise ticket prices and parking fees to pay for it. If you find the increases too much, then stop complaining about the payroll.

Owners who get into pro sports and take a vow of poverty to get the best team on the field at the lowest prices, exist only in fan fantasies.

Next time any of you get the notion about posting about how Reinsdorf should sell the team to an "owner who will spend," better hesitate because any new owner who spends a lot more than what Reinsdorf did will also raises prices a lot more than Reinsdorf did too.

You guys complained forever about how the $58 Mil. payroll was inusfficinet, so they raised the payroll but also had to raise ticket prices and parking fees to pay for it.

The payroll went up over 50% from last season?

nm

i forgot about the big free agents that were signed