Damaso Marte signed for 3 more years

CSF

Here are the #s:

Under the terms of the contract, Marte will receive $500,000 in 2004, $1.25 million in 2005 and $2.25 million in 2006, with the Sox holding the options at $3 million -- with a $250,000 buyout -- in both 2007 and 2008.

Marte was eligible for salary arbitration starting after the 2004 season and could have become a free agent after the 2007 season.

"This is an agreement that not only rewards him for what he's accomplished as one of the most, if not the most, dependable reliever in our pen the last couple years, but gives us some cost certainty moving forward for potentially the next five years," assistant general manager Rick Hahn said.

I love it :headbang

Must admit!!! I'm totally agreement with everyone!!! I just keep thinking, man, what it must be like for an opposing batter to face Marte with that AWESOME "Here it comes---see if you can hit it" sweeping breaking ball of his!! He is definately fun to watch. Will April hurry-the-heck-up already???

This is indeed good news. Marte has done it for 2 years now, so we know it's no fluke. He a very solid reliever and potential closer. If he gets the closer role, his salary goes up by $500K. That is also very reasonable, and fair.

I can't wait for the season anymore. During the offseason things were moving so slow, nothing was happening. And then we get Takatsu, sign Buehrle, sign Marte, camp is positive and vibrant for the first time in awhile.

Sure these aren't any major things but maybe players will realize that this year is another, and possibly their last, chance to play with this group of people due to the lack of offseason moves. The chemistry seems great with Ozzie at the helm, but that also could be the fact that a few guys who might not have been expected back this year, Konerko, Thomas, Maggs to name a few, are back and they want to make the best of it.

First Spring Training game is tomorrow vs. Arizona. I can't wait.

Go Sox!!! :headbang