Frank Thomas 2000 MVP?

DonkeyKongerko

I actually saw this on the whitesox.com board but wanted to ask what you all think.  If baseball decides Giambi was juicing in 2000, should Frank Thomas get the MVP award?

Was Frank second in MVP voting? IIRC Carlos Delgado also had a hell of a year in 2000.

This steroid talk is already boring me.

If there is ever a list of all of the great players who've juiced, then plenty of awards will be taken away.

I guess I'm in the minority who could care less whether or not a player juices or not.

I guess I'm in the minority who could care less whether or not a player juices or not.

:huh: How can you not care that players are cheating? If every player was using these, then it wouldn't be a problem. But if only the ones that want THE EDGE and do it ILLEGALLY, like now, how can you not care that they are ruining our game?

Debate or no debate, and with all opinions on the issue aside- I think it is simply a disgrace to think in a sport where records, ability and talent mean so much that players like Giambi, McGwire and Bonds may have had to use supplements to pump themselves up. HR records were set by Ruth, Maris, Aaron, Mays and others without steroids and those are the records I prefer to remember. Those guys did it on talent and hard work.

Maybe they knew and just didn't care. Casual baseball fans like to see guys hitting 500 foot bombs and throwing 100 mph, not fundamentals. The '98 HomeRun race, led by 2 potential roid-poppers, is what got a lot of fans back into baseball after they were turned off by the previous strike. The players union likes huge power numbers and the cash that comes with them.

The '98 HomeRun race, led by 2 potential roid-poppers

Yeah, McGwire hit 49 HRs when he was a rookie. All that he did was add a couple dozen pounds of beef to the equation, and the rest is history. He had the frame for it. Now, I don't know about Sosa, but you can argue that steroids or significant muscle addage via the weight room take away from your bat speed (Ruben Sierra being a prime example), and it seems to me that Sosa's bat speed actually increased over time. And Bonds? That is bat speed like I've never seen before in my life. I know that he uses a light bat, but whatever. It seems to me that steroids would only slow him down.

I understand it was pretty much a don't ask don't tell policy in MLB until the regulations were instated in 2002. Still, if they KNEW players were juicing and failed to act in the name of money, this could leave a serious black mark on all of Major League Baseball.

Also on a side note, I don't think pitchers take steroids. I remember reading somewhere that the risks far outweigh the reward for pitchers. It puts an enormous amount of strain on the arm I think, but maybe someone who knows more about this can fill in the details.

BTW does anyone know the link to that blog site that had pictures of Bonds, Sosa, and Giambi's heads and analyzed them for possible steroid use?

There are a couple of problems with taking away the awards from Giambi.

#1 even if he is found guilty of being on roids today. There would have to be proof that he was on them in 2000.

#2 Can anyone prove that Frank Thomas or anyone else WASN'T on steroids in 2000

#3 Even if you could prove Giambi was juiced, did he know about it, and does that change the level of his guilt or innocence.

I don't necesarily believe any of that, but those are just things to thing about

There are a couple of problems with taking away the awards from Giambi. 

#1 even if he is found guilty of being on roids today.  There would have to be proof that he was on them in 2000. 

#2 Can anyone prove that Frank Thomas or anyone else WASN'T on steroids in 2000

#3 Even if you could prove Giambi was juiced, did he know about it, and does that change the level of his guilt or innocence.

I don't necesarily believe any of that, but those are just things to thing about

#3 aside... your post is what it all comes down to.

Unless there is iron clad proof.. nothing from the past will be changed, altered, taken away, given to someone else, etc, etc...