Frank Thomas 2000 MVP?

DonkeyKongerko

Big Mac did not use illegal steroids.  There is a difference here.  People use legal over the counter supplements all the time.  There is no reason McGwire should be included in this discussion.

And you actually think andro made him that big? Please... :nono

That site is unbelievable. It's all coming out of California. No apparent suspects on the Angels, but the Giants, Dodgers, and Athletics have provided all of the primary suspects up to this point. Sheffield probably started doing it when he was with the Dodgers. I don't know, is it any coincidence that the stadiums in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Oakland are amongst the most pitcher-friendly parks in all of baseball? Is this what they have/had to do in order to compensate for that?

Then again, most people on the left coast are pretty much ass backwards when it comes to just about anything. s***, imagine an entire state of Cubs fans. That's basically what California is.

Come on, man.  It is possible to develop into a big lumberjack type motherf***er if you have the frame for it.

I completely agree. But, with baseball's schedule, playing 162 games a year, with all of the travel, ST, etc.. It is ALMOST impossible.

Don't expect a ball player who is only "lifting" 3-4 months a year to get McGwire huge. If you know anything about lifting or body building; an incredibly strict diet, enormous amounts of rest (like 10-12 hrs per day of sleep) and the proper weightlifting can get you pretty huge.

Can someone like McGwire or Sosa do that in 3-4 months and maintain it over 7-8 month baseball season? Highly doubtful. Unless they are maintaining the above training regiment year round (including during the season), any progress that one would make during the 3-4 months of heavy training would surely be depleted by season's end. This is not the NFL with 1 game per week for 16 weeks. This is playing games daily. Incredibly suspect IMO.

:ph34r:

Also on a side note, I don't think pitchers take steroids. I remember reading somewhere that the risks far outweigh the reward for pitchers. It puts an enormous amount of strain on the arm I think, but maybe someone who knows more about this can fill in the details.

A lot of steroids f*** up your joints and tendons, which obviously would be really bad for a pitcher, but some don't.

Most pitchers use deca durabolin. Deca durabolin helps increase strength, which helps with their velocity, but it is also very good on the joints. The pitcher will see less soreness, and possible injuries while on deca durabolin.

From a Dan Patrick article:

Schilling said pitchers take steroids, too. He knows pitchers who threw 91 mph one year and then showed up the next season throwing 95-96 mph after using steroids.

From the 2002 SI article:

Steroid use, which a decade ago was considered a taboo violated by a few renegade sluggers, is now so rampant in baseball that even pitchers and wispy outfielders are juicing up-and talking openly among themselves about it.
STEROIDS HAVE helped build the greatest extended era of slugging the game has ever seen-and, not coincidentally, the highest rate of strikeouts in history. Power, the eye candy for the casual fan, is a common denominator among pitchers and hitters, as hurlers, too, juice up to boost the velocity of their pitches.
And steroids are not just for sluggers anymore. They're used by everyone, from erstwhile singles hitters to aging pitchers. Says Rogers, "Just look around. You've got guys in their late 30s, almost 40, who are throwing the ball 96 to 99, and they never threw that hard before in their lives. I'm sorry. That's not natural evolution. Steroids are changing the game. You've got players who say, `All I want to do is hit" and you have pitchers who say, `All I want to do is throw 97. I don't care if I walk [everyone]." Steroids have helped even mediocre pitchers turn up the heat "The biggest change I've seen in the game," says a veteran major league infielder, "is seeing middle relievers come into the game throwing 91, 92 [mph]. Those guys used to be in the mid-80s or so. Now everybody is throwing gas, including the last guy in the bullpen:

And you actually think andro made him that big?  Please... :nono

Doesn't Andro turn into a steroid once it's in the body. I'm not saying he was "unassisted" by steroids, I'm just saying that he was technically "legal" and therefore should not be included. He was breaking no laws, no rules.

Doesn't Andro turn into a steroid once it's in the body.  I'm not saying he was "unassisted" by steroids, I'm just saying that he was technically "legal" and therefore should not be included.  He was breaking no laws, no rules.

You are partly correct. Andro is a precursor to the production of testosterone in the body. But, the amount of Andro needed to make "huge" gains would kill a small farm animal. I honestly think that Mac had the "andro-out" if he was ever questioned about anabvolic steroids. He could have always stated that "it was Andro and not roids". Looks better in the public eye. But Andro did not make him that big.. :nono