Royals Rotation

LostInBoston

Royals: Rotation update

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Tuesday, March 2, 2004

News

With Kyle Snyder facing season-ending shoulder surgery and Miguel Asencio already nursing elbow stiffness early in spring training, a once muddled picture of the Royals' starting rotation is becoming more and more clear. Brian Anderson and Darrell May appear to be locks, and the talented Jeremy Affeldt has thrown without blisters or incident thus far. Veteran Kevin Appier is ahead of schedule in his recovery from elbow surgery. That leaves one spot open for Jimmy Gobble, prospect Zack Greinke, or Asencio (if he can get healthy).

Views

If Gobble emerges, that would give the Royals an unprecedented four left-handed starters to go along with Appier. Lefty starters are typically effective because they represent a less familiar look than the more common righty. However, four out of five southpaws may be a bit much. This could give Greinke an increased shot of making the club, even though he could use a bit more time in the minors.

Just saw this posted on Yahoo. I'm wondering how our lineup will fare against so many lefties. What will the lineup be against lefties? Any ideas?

I think Gobble is readier than Greinke for the major leagues but this left-handed situation puts them in serious trouble.

The Twins of the past few years have struggled against lefties but the White Sox have done quite the opposite. I think our lineup (mostly Frank and Maggs) will be very happy to face all these southpaws.

Just saw this posted on Yahoo. I'm wondering how our lineup will fare against so many lefties. What will the lineup be against lefties? Any ideas?

I'm guessing our lineup will basically be the same against lefties, just with uribe in there instead of jose.

1. willie

2. carlos

3. Frank

4. Maggs

5. Pk

6. Crede

7. Rowand

8. miguel

9. uribe

Thing that strikes me is...none of their pitchers are big show stoppers. I am not too concerned with them. None of them are up to Buehrle and Loaiza . IMO

I agree completly, the royals have definitely improved their team alot this offseason, but the starting pitching they have is still a huge weakness.

Our Grinders will crush and chew them like so many coffee beans. Our right handed line up will feast on LH Royal wannabees. Of course on the other hand we might hear that familiar lament, "we never faced them before." I think Appier will be lucky to last 5 innings though.

Ahhh that crap use to kill me.. " Well we never faced them b4" geez.. they are suppose to be professional hitters right??

yes, it seems that most of the time whenever the sox see a new pitcher they can't hit for anything, not even a good pitcher... just any pitcher, and that is their excuse.

as for the lefties, i don't think the sox will have much problems with it. it could cause a problem with the twins though, and that is good for us.

the one guy who might, and i emphasize might, be a stopper for them is affeldt. he pitched pretty well last year, but he was bothered by blisters on almost every start last year it seemed. he could go the other way just as easily though too.

yes, it seems that most of the time whenever the sox see a new pitcher they can't hit for anything, not even a good pitcher... just any pitcher, and that is their excuse.

as for the lefties, i don't think the sox will have much problems with it.  it could cause a problem with the twins though, and that is good for us.

the one guy who might, and i emphasize might, be a stopper for them is affeldt.  he pitched pretty well last year, but he was bothered by blisters on almost every start last year it seemed.  he could go the other way just as easily though too.

Wesley Willis will forever be in our mind and our hearts..... :headbang

The Sox as a club usually fair very well against lefties.  Except for Valentin of course.

Dont forget Carlos. He got all of his power numbers and average off of righties last year. Thats one thing that Im hoping he can change, is his numbers against lefties, because if he does that, and still pounds the ball against righties.... we've got another South Side all star! :headbang

Does anybody know what happened to Runelvys Hernandez? Wasn't he their Opening Day starter last year and almost an All-Star before getting hurt just before the break? He wasn't even mentioned in the paragraph on the rotation.

Tommy John surgery.

Unlikely we'll see him at all this year.

We can't forget the Royals secret weapon this season:

capt.rsb11003032311.royals_spring_rsb110

Looks like Paulie has got some competition as to who can complete the running of the bases from the start of the national anthem until the 7th inning stretch. Think either him or "Garthy" have a chance at that accomplishment???