Bears FA thread

I agree. Agunleye is great but we'd haver to compensate a 1st and 3rd rounder for him. Darren Jackson is a WR from the Seahawks, I believe but I think the Seahawks WR's name is Darell Jackson?

yeah it is darrell jackson i'll take him he's pretty good. if we get all these guys i will very much look forward to the bears' season.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you guys think if the Bears got DJ Williams? I think he's from Miami. Looks like a pretty good athlete, here's a scouting report on him:

Strengths: Tremendous athlete...Great frame...Good speed...Fluid hips...Goes sideline to sideline...Can rush the passer or drop into coverage...Explosive...Still has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses: Still learning the position...Has some trouble shedding blocks...Over-pursues at times.

Notes: Top prospect coming out of high school...Bounced back and forth between linebacker and fullback early in his college career...All this guy lacks is experience.

That's from www.nfldraftcountdown.com

He seems like a very athletic kid, if we get our guys in free agency I wouldn't mind the Bears taking him at 14. Then again, I hope they trade the pick to NE for their two first round picks, anyone else agree? But that's if everything goes right in free agency, i.e. Tait doesn't get a contract from the Chiefs and comes here, we get a pretty good D-Lineman, and perhaps some more depth at CB and O-Line.

Thoughts?

Here is one of the better sites I have ever seen at predicting the draft.

www.ourlads.com

They usually update it according to player movement around the NFL and such. Very good site and the draft projection is free. I havn't seen them list a scenario where Kenechi Udeze falls to us so we would definately have to move up to get him. I also have not seen a scenario where we go after Shawn Andrews. I think he keeps dropping because everyone is concerned about his weight. I see us getting either Reggie Williams or Vince Wolfork if we stay where we are at. If we move up I believe it would be to get Kenechi Udeze, but I think they are pretty content with Alex Brown and Michael Haynes. I wonder what it would take to get Arizona's #1. Then we could draft Gallery.

What would you guys think if the Bears got DJ Williams?  I think he's from Miami.  Looks like a pretty good athlete, here's a scouting report on him:

Strengths: Tremendous athlete...Great frame...Good speed...Fluid hips...Goes sideline to sideline...Can rush the passer or drop into coverage...Explosive...Still has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses: Still learning the position...Has some trouble shedding blocks...Over-pursues at times.

Notes: Top prospect coming out of high school...Bounced back and forth between linebacker and fullback early in his college career...All this guy lacks is experience.

That's from www.nfldraftcountdown.com

He seems like a very athletic kid, if we get our guys in free agency I wouldn't mind the Bears taking him at 14.  Then again, I hope they trade the pick to NE for their two first round picks, anyone else agree?  But that's if everything goes right in free agency, i.e. Tait doesn't get a contract from the Chiefs and comes here, we get a pretty good D-Lineman, and perhaps some more depth at CB and O-Line. 

Thoughts?

I don't want a linebacker in the first round. We have bigger needs to fill than that. I think we are fine just fine with Odom, Urlacher, and Briggs.

:headbang

From www.profootballtalk.com:

CHIEFS WON'T MATCH TAIT OFFER

One of our moles in K.C. says that the Chiefs don't plan to match the offer sheet signed by tackle John Tait with the Chicago Bears.

Before officially declining to meet the six-year, $34 million package, the Chiefs will try to squeeze a draft pick or two out of the Bears in return for a trade of the rights to Tait. If that fails, the Chiefs plan to wait until the last minute to announce their decision to let Tait walk.

The fact that the deal gives Tait an $11 million cap number in 2004 is a major factor in the decision.

We're also told that the offer contains a no-trade clause, which scuttled the Chiefs' initial plan to match the Bears' offer and ship Tait to the Dolphins for defensive end Adewale Ogunleye.

Ironically, the big roster bonus would help the Chiefs manage the cap hit from the resulting bonus acceleration, if the trade would have happened before the roster bonus became due. With only $3 million in amortized bonus money, the cap hit would be far less than in a traditional deal. (Of course, the Dolphins might have trouble devoting $11 million in cap room to Tait.)

G.M. Carl Peterson will now try, we hear, to finagle at least a second-round pick from the Bears for Tait. If/when the Bears balk, Peterson will drag his feet on making a decision, in order to keep the Bears out of the market for other players, such as offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam.

From www.profootballtalk.com:

One of our moles in K.C. says that the Chiefs don't plan to match the offer sheet signed by tackle John Tait with the Chicago Bears.

Before officially declining to meet the six-year, $34 million package, the Chiefs will try to squeeze a draft pick or two out of the Bears in return for a trade of the rights to Tait.  If that fails, the Chiefs plan to wait until the last minute to announce their decision to let Tait walk.

The fact that the deal gives Tait an $11 million cap number in 2004 is a major factor in the decision. 

We're also told that the offer contains a no-trade clause, which scuttled the Chiefs' initial plan to match the Bears' offer and ship Tait to the Dolphins for defensive end Adewale Ogunleye.

Ironically, the big roster bonus would help the Chiefs manage the cap hit from the resulting bonus acceleration, if the trade would have happened before the roster bonus became due.  With only $3 million in amortized bonus money, the cap hit would be far less than in a traditional deal.  (Of course, the Dolphins might have trouble devoting $11 million in cap room to Tait.)

G.M. Carl Peterson will now try, we hear, to finagle at least a second-round pick from the Bears for Tait.  If/when the Bears balk, Peterson will drag his feet on making a decision, in order to keep the Bears out of the market for other players, such as offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam.

awesomeness :D

I don't relaly think the Bears have enough money to sign Ogunleye. Now if they lose out on Tait, then I say go for it and try to work a deal where you can get a 2nd rounder from Miami instead of giving up the 1st and a 3rd necessary. Sometimes teams are willing to negotiate, although I don't know if Wanny will be.

Ogunleye looks like an absolute stud DE. Well worth it, imo.

Yes, he's a stud but I really wouldt give up a 1st and 3rd rounder for him. Id rather go out and draft Udeze at DE. Its just too much for Oguleye. Also, whoever posted the www.ourlads.com thing was wrong. U said it is based on player movement in the NFL? We just signed Thomas Jones and it has us drafting Steven Jackson forom Oregon St.

Before officially declining to meet the six-year, $34 million package, the Chiefs will try to squeeze a draft pick or two out of the Bears in return for a trade of the rights to Tait. If that fails, the Chiefs plan to wait until the last minute to announce their decision to let Tait walk.

Ironically, the big roster bonus would help the Chiefs manage the cap hit from the resulting bonus acceleration, if the trade would have happened before the roster bonus became due. With only $3 million in amortized bonus money, the cap hit would be far less than in a traditional deal. (Of course, the Dolphins might have trouble devoting $11 million in cap room to Tait.)

G.M. Carl Peterson will now try, we hear, to finagle at least a second-round pick from the Bears for Tait. If/when the Bears balk, Peterson will drag his feet on making a decision, in order to keep the Bears out of the market for other players, such as offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam.

we're already giving the guy plenty let alone have to give a 2nd round draft pick for him. :bang

You are right. If he is only going to be a RT as is being said then we can draft one of those with our 2nd pick. Maybe not as good as Tait, but it wouldn't be much of a reach. The georgia tech kid would be there as well as Tony Pape, maybe even Pape in the 3rd. Both of them shoudl be solid RTs.

Yes, he's a stud but I really wouldt give up a 1st and 3rd rounder for him. Id rather go out and draft Udeze at DE. Its just too much for Oguleye. Also, whoever posted the www.ourlads.com thing was wrong. U said it is based on player movement in the NFL? We just signed Thomas Jones and it has us drafting Steven Jackson forom Oregon St.

Yeah that would be me. They update it at least once a week. Check back sometime this week and it will be updated. Don't worry my friend it is a good site, probably the best draft prediction site I have seen in the last couple years. They are teh closest at predicting that I have seen and I have seen a lot.

I think Angelo needs to hold tight. I think if the Bears lose out on Tait. They sign Salaam and draft Andrews to be their starting rt. He'll be a stud RT and then the Bears have the money to try and get Sapp in here.

The other thing I'd try to do is offer our 2nd rounder this year and a player in exchange for the rights to Oguleyne (Assuming they could work out a deal).

I think Angelo needs to hold tight.  I think if the Bears lose out on Tait.  They sign Salaam and draft Andrews to be their starting rt.  He'll be a stud RT and then the Bears have the money to try and get Sapp in here. 

The other thing I'd try to do is offer our 2nd rounder this year and a player in exchange for the rights to Oguleyne (Assuming they could work out a deal).

Heard now that Berry signed with the Cardinals, the Cowboys mite really be goin afta Ogunleye, and could be willin to offa thier 1st round pick (22nd overall) to get him.

Bears are saying that they will have Kasim Mitchell play LT for them this year and move Gandy to RG is normal postion. I bet they try to draft Andrews which I believe would be very smart. They say he is a beast. This of course is counting on signing Tait.

Bears are saying that they will have Kasim Mitchell play LT for them this year and move Gandy to RG is normal postion. I bet they try to draft Andrews which I believe would be very smart. They say he is a beast. This of course is counting on signing Tait.

I don't think they will. I think they will draft either the Williams WR from Washington or Wilfork from Miami. In the 2nd round maybe go after a DB or WR. They seem content with Tait at RT and Qasim Mitchell at LT. They believe they really have something in Qasim Mitchell.