Mario Valenzuela

DBAHO

From da Cubune, look what Jerry said too :lol:

Mario Valenzuela

2002 White Sox

What he did: Hit a team-high .478 with a homer and seven RBIs.

What was said: "He has been an impressive hitter," manager Jerry Manuel said. "We're going to try to keep him around here as long as he can be productive."

What has happened: Valenzuela hurt his elbow at the end of spring and missed the entire 2002 season. He still hasn't made his Major League debut and isn't expected to make the White Sox roster this spring.

And here were his numbers from last season,

Avg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO HBP SH SF GDP SLG OBP OPS

.355 17 62 13 22 4 0 3 20 0 0 7 16 4 0 3 1 .565 .434 999 Great Falls White Sox

.254 31 114 14 29 5 0 3 10 1 0 3 25 1 0 1 3 .377 .277 654 Charlotte Knights

From da Cubune, look what Jerry said too  :lol:

Mario Valenzuela

2002 White Sox

What he did: Hit a team-high .478 with a homer and seven RBIs.

What was said: "He has been an impressive hitter," manager Jerry Manuel said. "We're going to try to keep him around here as long as he can be productive."

What has happened: Valenzuela hurt his elbow at the end of spring and missed the entire 2002 season. He still hasn't made his Major League debut and isn't expected to make the White Sox roster this spring.

And here were his numbers from last season,

Avg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO HBP SH SF GDP SLG OBP OPS

.355 17 62 13 22 4 0 3 20 0 0 7 16 4 0 3 1 .565 .434 999 Great Falls White Sox

.254 31 114 14 29 5 0 3 10 1 0 3 25 1 0 1 3 .377 .277 654  Charlotte Knights

I've been on the Mario Valenzuela bandwagon for awhile, the guy has done nothing but hit. I hope he can stay healthy, if it comes down to Valenzuela and Bernard for the 4th spot I'd like to see the Sox give Valenzuela a shot. Even though Bernard's defense is superior to Valenzuela's. (I'm just assuming, never seen Valenzuela play the field.)

CWSOX45

yeah i'd never heard of him either... i'd really like to see him as opposed to bernard... i dunno, if the steroid allegations are true i dont want him on our club. I'm totally ticked about the whole steroids thing in general

yeah i'd never heard of him either... i'd really like to see him as opposed to bernard... i dunno, if the steroid allegations are true i dont want him on our club.  I'm totally ticked about the whole steroids thing in general

He's been floating around our minor league system for awhile, I remember Hawk talking about him while he was in Birmingham. He said that Mario can "flat out hit" and Hawk said something of the nature like "He's almost just like our very own Carlos Lee."

I hope Mario makes this team.

CWSOX45

Something neat I found...from awhile ago...

Link

White Sox - Mario Valenzuela (OF) was one of the bigger surprises in the league, drawing comparisons to White Sox star Magglio Ordonez. Valenzuela hit three homers in one game en route to a season total of eight and a SLP of .586. He also made more than his share of nice defensive plays in the outfield. The native of Mexico will be 25 next spring, so he'll need to show continued progress in AAA (he hit 10 HRs in 176 ABs at that level after coming up from AA).

If Valenzuela wins that backup outfielder's job over Reed, Borchard and Benard, he's doing something.

In reality, he is competing with Bernard. Borchard and Reed aren't likely candidates for the 4th OF position. Now if Reed beats out Rowand to start in CF, then Mario is competing with Rowand and Bernard.