Sandy Alomar Jr: Future manager???

CSF

Sox see Alomar as boss material

Catcher likely to manage in future

By Bob Foltman

Tribune staff reporter

March 6, 2004, 1:43 PM CST

TUCSON, Ariz. -- It has been mentioned so many times it almost has become part of his name.

"It'll be a scenario for the future, but right now I'm just concentrating on playing ball," said Sandy Alomar Jr., "future manager."

There it is again.

Among those who have spent time with Alomar, there is little doubt he is destined one day to lead a team, but these days he has more pressing matters.

Alomar's main task this season is making sure Miguel Olivo, whom the Sox project as their regular catcher, is ready to handle the responsibilities.

"He's the right guy to help me," Olivo said.

It only looks like Alomar, 37, has been playing forever. The San Diego Padres signed him in 1983, and he is entering his 15th full major-league season.

Alomar joked the first day of spring training he hopes Olivo plays 130 games this season so he can just sit and watch. Even if that were the case, Alomar would be valuable to the Sox.

"He's the type of a guy who has been on winning teams and with his attitude a lot of players look up to him and respect him," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "The way he handles himself on the field and off is something a lot of kids should look up to."

He has many attributes besides playing ability.

"He's one of the smartest players I've ever been around," Sox general manager Ken Williams said. "He's very progressive in his thought process and very caring of his teammates."

Alomar comes from a baseball family. His father, Sandy, was a major-league player and is a coach for the Colorado Rockies. His brother, Roberto, currently with Arizona after finishing 2003 with the Sox, is a second baseman many believe will be in the Hall of Fame some day.

Alomar said his leadership qualities basically "fell in my lap. I can't explain it."

"Being a leader isn't being a loud guy," Alomar said. "It's a guy who gets the best out of his teammates. I feel like I can. I root for them and I'm here for them."

Getting players to meet their potential is one of the requirements for being a manager.

"I can see him being a manager," Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle said. "He treats guys—no matter if you're one year in the big leagues or 20 years—the same way. He respects everyone in the clubhouse; he helps out everybody."

Alomar's most productive seasons—from a statistical standpoint—came when he was with Cleveland from 1990 to 2000 when the Indians won two American League pennants. Then Cleveland teammate Mike Jackson, who is trying to make the Sox bullpen this season as a non-roster invitee, said Alomar was the best catcher with whom he ever worked.

"He would demand you be focused and make pitches," Jackson said. "There weren't too many times that I shook him off and when I did, he came out and asked what I was thinking in that situation."

It's that kind of knowledge of hitters, and how to set them up and get them out, that is Alomar's greatest strength. Buehrle is so confident in what pitches Alomar will call, many times he doesn't even bother to look.

"I'm starting to go into my windup before he even puts the sign down because I'm anticipating what he's going to call," Buehrle said.

Alomar has become Buehrle's personal catcher, and the two seem to be of one mind when they are together. That kind of attention to detail is what Alomar is trying to pass along to Olivo.

"As a catcher, you have to worry about your [pitching] staff," Alomar said. "If you go 0-for-4 and you can contribute defensively, that's big. You're going to win a lot of games behind the plate even if you don't hit."

Alomar admitted that's a hard concept for a young catcher to grasp. Alomar never will be confused with Mike Piazza when it comes to hitting—he has a respectable .275 lifetime average with only 109 home runs. But then Piazza won't be confused with Alomar when it comes to fielding or handling a pitching staff.

"Our staff is pretty young and I think it's a lot easier having Sandy around," Guillen said.

How much longer Alomar will be around—as a player that is—is not known. For the last couple of years he has been taking it on a year-to-year basis.

"I'll come back until they kick me out," he said.

He won't be kicked out of the organization. Williams said Alomar will have a place somewhere with the Sox when he's done playing.

"Sandy is going to be a major-league manager one day—if he wants it," Williams said.

There it is again. No matter how much he wants to avoid it, Alomar knows he's destined to lead a team from inside the dugout instead of from behind the plate.

Copyright © 2004, The Chicago Tribune

I heard Sandy on JHood's show earlier this week, and he said he has no problems whatsoever letting Miguel handle the lion's share of catching duties. He said once he retires, he'll take about a year off to be with his family, then will probably return to baseball. I hope KW holds a spot in the organization for him. He seems to be a big plus for the Sox.

I am certain after he wins the WS with us this season he will retire and take a minor league assigment.

In fact I feared he was going to take Wally's when Wally had to pay his phone bill.