Great Column by Phil Arvia

YASNY

This provides a little insight into discussions between Ozzie and his coaches. A good read.

With Ozzie, it's best to buckle up

Sunday, March 7, 2004

TUCSON, Ariz. — Ozzie Guillen, having told his old friend Harold Baines to take the front seat, settled into the back of White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper's rented Impala and suggested what might be construed as a slight change in plans.

"Let's go to a strip club," he said, perhaps to get over the disappointment of discovering Cooper's ride was not a Mercedes but, as he described it, "Some bull(feathers) car."

Of course, Guillen was kidding — at least about their destination.

For one, it was barely past noon. For another, he, Baines and Cooper were wearing White Sox uniforms. Lastly, they were heading to Hi Corbett Field for a split-squad game with Colorado, which along with the concurrent contest at Tucson Electric Park, marked Guillen's first games as Sox manager.

Besides, Baines was paying him no mind, being much more concerned with the large stash of eye drops in Cooper's ashtray.

"Got enough Visine?" Baines asked.

"Hey," Cooper said, "if you saw my eyes every morning ... "

"From drinking all night, that's why," Guillen said, breaking himself up.

For me, the condition of Cooper's eyes was less bothersome than that of his ears. The turn of the ignition key prodded Bob Seger's "Turn the Page" from the Chevy's sound system and the greatest hits CD that would be the accompaniment for our short drive from the Sox's south side complex to the Rockies' east side home.

Not that the Silver Bullet Band could drown out Guillen, who let me hitch a ride — actually, I asked and he said, "I don't give a (fudge)" — to what only technically marked the beginning of his Sox stewardship.

"If we win two games, then it was my debut," Guillen said. "If not, I'll blame it on the coaches and (Saturday is) my chance."

Guillen didn't need the extra day. He got a pair of wins, shoehorning a squeeze play and a hit-and-run into the five innings he held the reins at Tucson Electric Park.

Still, Guillen would have happily bent the rules if it meant an advantage for him and his players, which is something Sox brass may have to get used to.

Rolling past a gas station at the outset of his road trip, Guillen pointed out general manager Ken Williams fueling up his SUV, prompting Cooper to ask if Baines had received a company gas card.

""They slipped that one by me," Baines said.

"Do we get that in Chicago?" Guillen asked. "I'd kill that thing, filling up everyone's car."

Cooper didn't have an answer, but assured Guillen his generosity had been noticed.

"You already did something we didn't do last year," he said. "We went out to dinner. We never went out to dinner (last year) — not once."

The Sox didn't do a lot of things in 2003, including bringing a sense of enthusiasm and camaraderie to the office. To say Guillen has addressed those shortfalls in the Sox clubhouse so far would be an understatement.

"It's pretty noticeable," Williams said. "Not that there was a heavy air around before. That's inaccurate and unfair to portray it that way. But you can't ignore that it's a more energetic environment and a looser atmosphere.

"At the same time, whether it be players or coaches or whomever, everybody's getting their work in and going through it. The days are a little shorter, seemingly."

Car trips, too. Guillen barely had time to defend Tucson's golf courses from Baines' critique before pulling into Hi Corbett, where he played as a Padres minor leaguer.

"I haven't been to this place in 20 years," he said.

"And I bet it hasn't changed a bit," Cooper answered.

Nor has Guillen, to look at him in action. From sitting in the main clubhouse in a semicircle of folding chairs with a bunch of players, spewing anecdotes and profanities in two languages, to talking with fans and slapping players' rears on the field, he is as animated as he ever was as a shortstop.

"I think we're going to have to let Ozzie be Ozzie," Williams said. "In some of the background that I did on him, I'd heard those kinds of things — that he'd go in and he'd sit with the players as though he were one of the guys, but as soon as they got out of line, no one was tougher on them."

For the time being, though, it's nothing but positive.

Piling back into the Impala after four innings at Hi Corbett, including three shutout frames from Jon Garland, Guillen said, "Garland threw the (stuffing) out of the ball."

"He did real well," Cooper said. "He threw 44 pitches — perfecto."

"How did he give up so many homers with that sinker?" Guillen asked.

"High sinkers," Cooper answered, "and falling asleep a little bit."

Cooper and Guillen kept talking pitching, their chatter broken only by Baines reminding Cooper, "You're turning right at the light."

Danny Wright, who also threw well Friday, has the inside track for the fifth starter's job, but not by much. Esteban Loaiza's challenge will be working as hard as he did last year.

"I told him he made it to the outskirts of the elite in one year," Cooper said. "He stays focused another year, he'll be in the elite, making $10 million."

"Let him cross that bridge when he comes to it," Baines said.

I mentioned that I thought Loaiza lost focus last year when chasing Fernando Valenzuela's mark for Mexican-born pitchers, which he eventually tied, of winning 21 games in a season.

"Who gives a (shoot)," Guillen said. "Winning 21 games in the big leagues, that's what matters."

Pulling up to the gate at the Sox complex, Cooper is surprised when a security guard motions for him to stop.

"We're wearing uniforms," Cooper said. "Does he think we're impostors?"

"It's happened before," Baines said.

Not this time. I've no doubt Guillen is the real thing.

"Let's go to a strip club," he said, perhaps to get over the disappointment of discovering Cooper's ride was not a Mercedes but, as he described it, "Some bull(feathers) car."

Ahh Ozzie will another hilarious joke. He's cracking me up already and the season hasn't even started yet. :lol:

I'm loving more and more what Ozzie is doing to the mentality of the players AND the coaches on this team. Letting this team have some fun playing the game, should really help us. The team will be more relaxed, etc. I see a repeat performance to what happened in 2000; however, hopefully the result comes out a bit better. ;)

"You already did something we didn't do last year," he said. "We went out to dinner. We never went out to dinner (last year) — not once."

Ozzie is going to make this year interesting and fun we have to sell out the yankees series, and the royals series. ozzie vs. pena talk about fun. haing 30,000 for twins isnt bad either. :bringit :headbang

This was a great read. It had me laughing at parts and just feeling good about Ozzie as our manager.

"If we win two games, then it was my debut," Guillen said. "If not, I'll blame it on the coaches and (Saturday is) my chance."

That really had me going. I also liked how Coop mentioned were already doing things different, we went out to dinner once this year.

I figured coaches went out to dinner all the damn time. I guess not under the JM era.

So many great lines in this article. I can't wait til Ozzie starts giving postgame interviews and press conferences in Chicago. He and the White Sox are gonna take over this town.

I love the bits w/ Coop, Oz, and especially Baines. Baines was always a no-nonsense guy, it seems he balances out Ozzie perfectly.

In like the last three weeks I have become so jazzed about this really turning into a fun year.

You and I feel the same about this season. I think this year will be a good year.

Another thing I liked about this article was a little snippet about Garland, and when Guillen asked how he gave up that many homers, and Cooper said it was because he left it high and was, if I get this correctly, falling asleep(or probably losing concentration). I think Ozzie will do something about that. and I think Garland will have a real good year with Ozzie as headhoncho.

Ozzie seems like a real good guy to have lead this bunch.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks Cooper is a stoner with all those eye drops? He probably smokes a joint before every game.

Damn damn damn, I'm getting excited. I'm starting to get a Southside Hit Men feel to this season (with a better ending) I am getting goose bumps thinking about rocking the cell in September at full volume putting away the Royals.

Something about Ozzie and Baines getting together I really like. Could be old guy nostalgia

Damn damn damn, I'm getting excited. I'm starting to get a Southside Hit Men feel to this season (with a better ending) I am getting goose bumps thinking about rocking the cell in September at full volume putting away the Royals.

I am getting excited as well. I plan on opening my window sitting on the porch and facing the chair to the TV. I can't wait!!!! :headbang