Ted Williams' son dies

greasywheels121

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1753358

John Henry Williams dies

ESPN.com News Services

John Henry Williams, the son of Hall of Famer Ted Williams, died Sunday morning. He was 35.

A Red Sox spokesman confirmed the death of Williams but gave no details, SportsTicker reported.

Williams was diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia in October. He underwent chemotherapy for several weeks, but his condition did not improve. He then underwent a bone marrow transplant. His younger sister, Claudia, was the donor, according to his friends and associates.

Ted Williams' brother died of leukemia when he was in his 40s.

John Henry tried his hand at professional baseball in summer 2002 with a low-level Sox minor league team, but his attempt ended after two games when he crashed into a camera well and fractured a rib. He tried to revive his career in the independent leagues, but many baseball experts believed he started his career too late.

After Ted Williams died July 5, 2002, John Henry Williams was at the center of a controversy surrounding his father's remains. Williams had his father's body taken to Alcor Life Extension Foundation, an Arizona cryonics lab, setting off a battle with his half-sister who said her father had wanted to be cremated.

John Henry and Claudia Williams claim they and their father signed a handwritten pact in November 2000 agreeing that they would be put in deep freeze after death.

The matter was settled in December, when Bobby Jo Ferrell, Ted Williams' oldest daughter, dropped her objections. Just last week, however, Ferrell's attorney demanded that Alcor release copies of a document that would show Ted Williams agreed to give his body to the facility.

Attorney John Heer, representing Bobby-Jo Williams Ferrell, said that Alcor is required to comply with his request under the federal Uniform Anatomical Gift Act and a similar state law governing donation of human organs and bodies for medical research.

Alcor Chief Executive Officer Joe Waynick said last week that Ferrell gave up her rights in the matter when she entered into a settlement agreement two years ago in the Florida courts.

Ted Williams finished with a .344 career average and was the last major league to bat over .400, when he hit .406 in 1941.

About 10,500 new cases of acute myelogenous leukemia are diagnosed each year in the United States, with remission occurring in 70-80 percent of those patients.

Fun is fun, but were talking about someone's son here, maybe someone's husband... father and friend. Whatever this man has done... let him rest in peace.

He wasn't married - he dated a girl I work with for a while.

Whatever he may have done while he was alive, joke's over now that he's dead.

At least for me, it is.

Too young to die, period.

Was he the John Henry Williams that played on a Chicagoland minor league team a year or two ago? It's amazing how fast cancer kills you - leukemia is cancer of the blood if you don't know it already. Everytime someone dies of that horrible disease, I appreciate my wife's work (as V.P. of the Cancer Society) that much more. 85% of cancer is now curable, but that 15% is what is still hurting families and loved ones. But give it time - there will be a cure, someday soon. :headbang

I just thought I would give some hope to anyone who has seen the horrors of cancer, and we all have. My wife is someone who desperately wants to be out of a job because that would mean the end of cancer. Usually I post blue or sarcastic humor, but I can't when it comes to cancer. Sorry. :huh

Was he the John Henry Williams that played on a Chicagoland minor league team a year or two ago? It's amazing how fast cancer kills you - leukemia is cancer of the blood if you don't know it already.  Everytime someone dies of that horrible disease, I appreciate my wife's work (as V.P. of the Cancer Society) that much more.  85% of cancer is now curable, but that 15% is what is still hurting families and loved ones.  But give it time - there will be a cure, someday soon. :headbang

I just thought I would give some hope to anyone who has seen the horrors of cancer, and we all have.  My wife is someone who desperately wants to be out of a job because that would mean the end of cancer.  Usually I post blue or sarcastic humor, but I can't when it comes to cancer.  Sorry. :huh

There will be a cure for cancer when it becomes profitable for there to be a cure cancer.