Dog Help

soxfan420

i bought my brother a husky for his birthday, and im trying to get him house broken and it just isnt working. when i put it outside it s***s and pisses all over my deck and it wont go in the grass even when i put it in the grass it runs onto the deck to do his buisness. how can i get him house, broken so he wont go on the carpet or anywhere else but in the yard btw i need this done in 2 weeks if possible im giving it to him early because im going out of town 1 week before his b-day pls help me.

I'm not an expert, but I would walk him on a leash in the grass until he does his business...no matter how long it takes. Take him out every hour on the hour. You have to over do it. If and when he starts to go on the deck, grab him or pull hi and put him in the grass. You have to get the point across to him that it's not cool to go on the deck. He'll understand after a few good tugs on the leash.

I'm not an expert, but I would walk him on a leash in the grass until he does his business...no matter how long it takes. Take him out every hour on the hour.  You have to over do it. If and when he starts to go on the deck, grab him or pull hi and put him in the grass. You have to get the point across to him that it's not cool to go on the deck. He'll understand after a few good tugs on the leash.

et me add that when the dog does what it is supposed to, praise and clap and celebrate the good dog - positive reinforcement is essential - but keep an eye on the dog at all times inside and the moment it looks like it needs to go, take it outsde - it takes time and some false alarms but spend thetime and postive reinforce and it will happen

with the pup in the morning get up and obviously check whether th dog was god and when you find the dog was good praise the dog and then go outside - teach a dog postiviely because the dog wants to please - do not use fear or you get worse behavior just as if it were you being trained

cwsox and mreye are both correct. Here is a little more advice. Where ever your dog has previoulsy done his business clean it really good to remove all of the scent. I believe they sell cleaning products at pet stores if you are unsure on what to use. I know bleach will get it out, but I am not sure about the area you are cleaning or if it is safe to use bleach in that specific area. If the dog smells any of it he will go right back to that spot and do his business again.

Positive reinforcement is always the key with animals, especially young ones. They have very short attention spans so if you start yelling or hitting they usually have no idea why you are doing so. Unless you are right there and catch them in the act you should not yell at it. Another thing dogs like that shows aproval is a little healthy snack and a rub on the chest. Dogs love to be rubbed on the chest for approval, it means a lot to them. When they do something good always tell them how good they were, act very happy, and pet/rub their chest. Some dogs are more stubborn than others and take a lot of work. A lot of time and patience is required.

By the way, huskies are beautiful dogs that was a great choice. They are very active and can jump very high. Very athletic and beautiful dogs.

A funny story about the positive reinforcement:

My buddy has a pup and when she starts to do her business, he'll say "Good girl." The dog squeezes it off and runs over. He has to wait until he's surre she's done to tell her she was good.

The easiest and fastest way to train the dog to go where you want is to put a red wings jersey in that area. It worked with both my dogs. The bad part is when I have them out in public. The male will walk up to anyone wearing a red wing jersey and lift his leg on the person to try to piss on it now.

Everyone gave some good tips, but if you think any of them will have a dog completely potty-trained in 2 weeks, you're kidding yourself.  It's gonna take a little longer than that.

Yep. Ginger, a year later, still has an accident every once in a while. Usually when we have a lot of people over. Although.. she's box trained so it's a bit different with her.

a few years ago when I got my beagle puppy, at 12 weeks old, I had her house-broken in 10 days. Of course she never left my side for more than an hour during that time so she never really had the chance to screw up.

She was not without problems, however. It was almost a full two year until she could be allowed run of the house while no one was around. That dog tore up anything she could fit in her mouth when she was bored. She eventually outgrew it and became adapted to being at home alone for long preiods of time(a workday).

a few years ago when I got my beagle puppy, at 12 weeks old, I had her house-broken in 10 days. Of course she never left my side for more than an hour during that time so she never really had the chance to screw up.

She was not without problems, however.  It was almost a full two year until she could be allowed run of the house while no one was around.  That dog tore up anything she could fit in her mouth when she was bored.  She eventually outgrew it and became adapted to being at home alone for long preiods of time(a workday).

Ginger doesn't have unsupervised roaming yet... We did build her a 10X6 room off the garage though which is where she spends her time when we're not home.

Ginger doesn't have unsupervised roaming yet... We did build her a 10X6 room off the garage though which is where she spends her time when we're not home.

Mine couldn't even be trusted with that when she was younger. She tore apart a door onetime when I tried to give her more space...

I cage trained her. Now her cage is one of her favorite places to be. (now that I never make her go in there)

Mine couldn't even be trusted with that when she was younger.  She tore apart a door onetime when I tried to give her more space...

I cage trained her. Now her cage is one of her favorite places to be. (now that I never make her go in there)

Oh.. she's eaten most of the door frame in there.. down to the drywall on one side. :lol: Jim just nails another peice of wood over it and waits till she destroys that one...

She's also eaten at least a dozen beds. Now she lounges on a Bekins pad.. we have plenty of those.. :ph34r:

The crate was tough for me. I hated hearing her whine. I'm a wuss... I know.

Cage training is good when u have alot of dogs. All of the dogs we have that grew up in cages just LOVE their cages most of the time.

As far as housebreaking, from what I remember puppies often started out peeing indoors. We would set up a newspaper/pad where they lived so they'd pee on it. Then you take this pad and move it outside to where you want them to pee and eventually remove the pad. Someone mentioned Bruce Almighty, it's like when he took the chair the dog kept peeing on outside. It's all about repetition for the dogs. And always make sure to praise them when they do it right and scold them when its wrong.

Cage training is good when u have alot of dogs.  All of the dogs we have that grew up in cages just LOVE their cages most of the time.

As far as housebreaking, from what I remember puppies often started out peeing indoors.  We would set up a newspaper/pad where they lived so they'd pee on it.  Then you take this pad and move it outside to where you want them to pee and eventually remove the pad.  Someone mentioned Bruce Almighty, it's like when he took the chair the dog kept peeing on outside.  It's all about repetition for the dogs.  And always make sure to praise them when they do it right and scold them when its wrong.

The reason we box trained Ginger was because we had no sod when the house was done.. and it was March so we knew we wouldn't get it for a while. I was not interested in letting her out in the dirt and mud. Now I've got to start training her to go outside. The few times she's been outside I just take her box out there and set it in her area of the yard. She still likes to go in the box... but eventually she'll get comfortable with the grass.

Be firm, rub it's nose in the s*** that's gone wrong, i'm not talking scintific here, just practical. My old Black lab needed to be dragged into the s*** and taught, granted my father was the man of the house but my dog was a great house dog, I'm too big a suck to try it, just passing it on.