John Allen Muhammad gets death

Steff

Sniper Killer Muhammad Sentenced to Death

18 minutes ago Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By MATTHEW BARAKAT, Associated Press Writer

MANASSAS, Va. - John Allen Muhammad was sentenced to death Tuesday for his role in the sniper shootings that terrorized the Washington area.

Circuit Judge LeRoy F. Millette Jr. turned aside a plea from Muhammad's lawyers to spare their client's life. He ordered Muhammad executed on Oct. 14, but that date likely will be postponed to allow appeals.

Muhammad, 43, was convicted of capital murder on Nov. 17 and a jury recommended he be sentenced to death for the murder of Dean Harold Meyers at a gas station near Manassas.

Muhammad denied any involvement in the killings Tuesday, telling the judge, "Don't make a fool of the Constitution of the United States of America."

"Just like I said at the beginning, I had nothing to do with this, and I'll say again, I had nothing to do with this," Muhammad said.

Defense lawyers had filed a motion Monday arguing that life in prison was the more appropriate sentence to eliminate the disparity between Muhammad's punishment and that of his 18-year-old partner in the killings, Lee Boyd Malvo.

Malvo, who will be formally sentenced Wednesday in Chesapeake, was given life in prison by the jury in that case. Circuit Judge Jane Marum Roush has no leeway to alter that sentence. In Virginia, judges can accept a jury's sentence recommendation or reduce it, but cannot increase it.