Mets Assult Pizza Deliveryman

Pizza Deliveryman Accuses Two Mets Players

Mon Mar 8, 8:10 PM ET

By BEN WALKER, AP Baseball Writer

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - A pizza deliveryman who says he was roughed up by Karim Garcia and Shane Spencer filed a police report Monday, and investigators said they would try to question the New York Mets (news) outfielders.

Sgt. Robert McGhee of the Port St. Lucie police department said Eric Vidal, 20, made an allegation of simple battery after a dispute in a parking lot last week.

No charges have been filed.

"If they would have just come back and apologized and seen if I was OK, this would have been over," Vidal said in a telephone interview. "But now, it's too late to turn back and accept it. I've been humiliated."

Garcia and Spencer, both competing for a spot on the roster, each were fined an undisclosed amount by the team. Mets general manager Jim Duquette apologized to a representative of the Big Apple Pizza restaurant chain.

"From our perspective, we've said all we're going to say about the issue," Duquette said. "I'm not going to be able to speak on any further developments."

Exact details on what occurred outside the restaurant Thursday night are unclear.

"We've got quite a few witnesses to talk to, probably 16 or 17," said McGhee, who will supervise the investigation.

"We hope to talk to the Mets players. Absolutely, we'll invite them to come on in," he said. "But they don't have to. It's their prerogative."

After the investigation, police will consider pursuing charges of simple battery, a misdemeanor. The final decision on whether charges are filed is made by the State Attorney's office.

"We're still a long way off from that," McGhee said.

Vidal said the dispute started when Garcia urinated outside the pizzeria. Vidal said he tripped over a curb during a subsequent verbal confrontation and wound up with Garcia and Spencer on top of him.

"My head hurts, my neck hurts, my side hurts. I think I might go to a hospital tonight," he said.

Vidal said he was told by the restaurant to stay home from work Monday night, and that he was moving out of his father's house. He said he had spoken to lawyers and was considering hiring one.

"I feel like I'm getting stepped on," he said. "Those guys think they can just come down here and walk all over us."

After Monday's 6-4 exhibition win over St. Louis, Spencer said he was aware that a police report was filed.

"We just found out this morning," he said. "I really can't say anything."

Said Garcia: "I really have nothing to say."

In a statement, Garcia's agent, Bobby Barad, said: "There are facts that have not been publicly stated, but we will do so in the proper forum. We hope that this will not be a distraction to the Mets' organization."

Garcia is facing assault and battery charges from a bullpen fight at Fenway Park during the AL championship series last year. Former Yankees teammate Jeff Nelson, a groundskeeper and Garcia all pleaded innocent.

The pizza delievery guy is a f***ing tool too. "My head hurts, my neck hurts, my side hurts. I think I might go to a hospital tonight," dude, go suck a dick. That is a joke. Garcia will never play major league baseball again IMHO, and Spencer is getting old and towards the end too. All these guys are morons.

A pizza deliveryman who says he was roughed up by Karim Garcia ...

Garcia is facing assault and battery charges from a bullpen fight at Fenway Park during the AL championship series last year.

I wonder who else has been taking the 'roids... :unsure: :headshake