Virginia Expos?

LDF

Supernuke...I take it you dont like the Blue Jays

I hate the damn blue jays. I hate the fact that i have to watch ten minutes of jays highlights on every sportscast up here just to see a few seconds of Sox highlights. The worst thing that ever happend was the jays-braves World Series, how do you wacth a series when you hate both teams with a passion and you know that one of them has to win.

I can't see Virginia supporting a team.  I really don't see many places baseball should go to.  I think they have enough problems with a couple locations out there as it is, but DC does make some sense to me.

Being a DC native, and being tired of listening to Peter Angelos b****, I would love to see another option, any other option in DC for sports. Let's see, we've got the Redskins, Capitals, Wizards (soon to lack MJ), Orioles and Ravens. Despite the Ravens superbowl win a few years back, not exactly your hotbed of quality teams. While the former Expos might not change that, the newness of them would be nice.

Since your familiar with the area, how do the fans support these teams?

I think the Redskins got a ton of fans, but I don't know about the rest.

The Redskins are definitely THE TEAM around DC. Regardless of the talent on the team, the coach, anything, they sell out every year and have a waiting list on season tickets that is years long. The Capitals have their own rather strong fan base, though not close to that of the 'skins. Since the Caps manage to squeak into the playoffs most years of late, their following remains rather consistent. The Wizards had slumped in the attendance category this year, but I don't know if it's picked up of late since MJ maintains he's going to retire after the season (I'm not a big NBA fan, so I don't keep tabs on "The Wiz" much).

As for the Orioles, they always draw consistent, if somewhat less than fanatical crowds. You see a lot of people in ties and dress shirts, taking a client to a ball game and such, since Camden Yards is such a huge draw. I haven't seen too many stadiums, but for pure beauty, nothing I've seen has beaten Camden Yards (though admittedly, Jacobs Field is a close second). Most DC area fans are fed up with Angelos much the way Sox fans have a healthy hatred for Reinsdorf. Angelos however, doesn't fear paying out cash for players, but he fancies himself a GM and often picks which players he wants to sign. This resulted in the several high-payed but horribly performing teams of the late nineties, early "oughts." So, in part, many baseball fans in the DC area would love to see the Expos come here just to piss Angelos off. I think if the Expos came, they'd get a solid fan base. People here of the older generation (my grandparents among them) still remember the old Senators, and you see a decent number of people of that age group going around with Senators hats and jerseys. So, in my very unexpert opinion, I think a lot of factors could combine to make a DC area baseball team pretty successful.

Hell, we'd have to be able to do better than Montreal has :P