Wright vs Grilli?

DBAHO

From da Cubune,

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The battle for the fifth spot in the White Sox's rotation soon may become a two-man race between Dan Wright and Jason Grilli.

Grilli made his second start of the spring Wednesday and allowed only a two-run homer to Kansas City's Joe Randa in four innings of work in a split-squad game. Grilli was a Rule 5 pickup in December and must be offered back to the Florida Marlins if he doesn't make the 25-man roster.

Wright has a 1.80 ERA in two appearances covering five innings.

Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said he doesn't want to rush a decision on who will win the spot and that the candidates will weed themselves out.

Jon Rauch made his second appearance Wednesday night against Colorado and gave up six hits and three runs in three innings, including a home run to Colorado's Kit Pellow. …

Left fielder Carlos Lee and Colorado pitcher Denny Stark had words after the third inning Wednesday. Stark hit both Frank Thomas and Joe Crede with pitches in the inning. Thomas and Jose Valentin hit back-to-back home runs off Stark in the first, and Magglio Ordonez and Lee hit hard doubles off Stark in the third. … In a split-squad game in Surprise, Ariz., a couple of hours from Tucson, the Sox blew a 6-2 lead when the Royals scored seven runs in the last three innings. Relievers Enemencio Pacheco, Jose Santiago and Gary Majewski took the shelling. … Majewski did strike out country music artist Garth Brooks, who had a pinch-hitting appearance in the ninth. … The Sox released outfielder Marvin Benard and pitcher Carlos Castillo. Both were non-roster invitees. Benard didn't play in any games because of a calf injury, and Castillo gave up three runs in one inning of work.

Pitcher Ryan Kohlmeier was reassigned to the minor-league camp. … The Sox began the day with a staff ERA of 3.38, best among American League teams. … Joe Borchard, back in the lineup after a couple of days off nursing a sore quadriceps, lined a double in his first at-bat Wednesday night, giving him hits in his first two at-bats of the spring.

I a perfect world, the Sox will keep 7 relievers(only 4 bench players), which would allow them to keep Grilli, Rauch, and Wright. It really doesn't matter which of them is the starter and which of the 2 that start off in the pen. I would like to see Wright in the pen, however, because I believe he could excel in that role(ala Hawkins). I would kind of like to see Rauch as the 5th starter, but if Grilli pitches better than him, than he should be the 5th starter. Another thing to keep in mind is that Schoeneweis probably has a short leash, so if he struggles as a starter he could be moved to the pen, and Grilli, Rauch, or Wright(which ever isn't the 5th starter) could get a shot in the rotation. A forgotten man in all this is Ginter. I had him as my favorite to secure one of the bullpen spots, but he hasn't pitched yet. Does anyone know whats up with Ginter? A sleeper to watch out for is Diaz as well. He might be able to sneak into the bullpen under the radar. The thing that I like is that the Sox actually have some depth and serious competition for the final pitching spots. This will only make the team stronger IMO.

Our rotation is Buehrle and Loaiza, and hope the rest will suprise ya.

Garland is on the edge of greatness, like I am on the edge of winning the lottery. It could happen, but experience says it probably won't. The 4th and 5th spots are, let's say, areas of concern. A lot of guys who have never done well in the big leagues, (heck they haven't done that well in the minors), is not depth.

I'm hoping for the best, but fearing the worst.

Our rotation is Buehrle and Loaiza, and hope the rest will suprise ya.

Garland is on the edge of greatness, like I am on the edge of winning the lottery. It could happen, but experience says it probably won't. The 4th and 5th spots are, let's say, areas of concern. A lot of guys who have never done well in the big leagues, (heck they haven't done that well in the minors), is not depth.

I'm hoping for the best, but fearing the worst.

First of all, you clearly misunderstood what I meant when I said depth. I was in no way refering to the rotation as a whole. Secondly, you are under the misconception that depth automaticly means talent, but that is not nessacarily the case. The simple point that I was trying to make is that the Sox have multiple reasonable options at the bottom of the rotation and backend of the bullpen, which can't always be said(last year as an example). Furthermore, I think you really don't understand the numbers that a "typical" #4-5 starter/backend of the bullpen pitcher puts up in the AL. A "typical" #4 starter generally puts up an ERA in the high 4's(give or take a little). A "typical" #5 starter generally puts up an ERA above 5(give or take a little). A "typical" backend of the bullpen reliever generally puts up an ERA in the high 4's-low 5's(give or take a little). Is it unreasonable to think that the Sox can't get that production(and probably better) from the #4-5 starters/backend of the bullpen? Finally, you can't make a habit of judging pitchers based on a handful of outings in the majors. If teams disregarded pitchers after a few bad outings, than most of the top pitchers in the game today wouldn't be where they are now. The fact is that a majority of pitchers(including the top pitchers in todays game) struggle in the 1st couple of years in the majors. Lastly, which pitchers put up poor numbers in the minors? Wright? Rauch? Grilli? They all put up pretty impressive numbers in the minors, so please specify which pitchers you are talking about. In conclusion, the Sox don't have a great pitching staff, but there is certainly some potential and DEPTH(multiple reasonable options that could fill in if a pitcher is struggling or injuried).

I think unless Wright and Rauch are completely lights out in ST, Grilli's gonna get that spot, whether it's in the rotation or pitching in long relief. I don't think the Sox want to return Grilli to Florida.

First of all, you clearly misunderstood what I meant when I said depth. I was in no way refering to the rotation as a whole. Secondly, you are under the misconception that depth automaticly means talent, but that is not nessacarily the case. The simple point that I was trying to make is that the Sox have multiple reasonable options at the bottom of the rotation and backend of the bullpen, which can't always be said(last year as an example). Furthermore, I think you really don't understand the numbers that a "typical" #4-5 starter/backend of the bullpen pitcher puts up in the AL. A "typical" #4 starter generally puts up an ERA in the high 4's(give or take a little). A "typical" #5 starter generally puts up an ERA above 5(give or take a little). A "typical" backend of the bullpen reliever generally puts up an ERA in the high 4's-low 5's(give or take a little). Is it unreasonable to think that the Sox can't get that production(and probably better) from the #4-5 starters/backend of the bullpen? Finally, you can't make a habit of judging pitchers based on a handful of outings in the majors. If teams disregarded pitchers after a few bad outings, than most of the top pitchers in the game today wouldn't be where they are now. The fact is that a majority of pitchers(including the top pitchers in todays game) struggle in the 1st couple of years in the majors. Lastly, which pitchers put up poor numbers in the minors? Wright? Rauch? Grilli? They all put up pretty impressive numbers in the minors, so please specify which pitchers you are talking about. In conclusion, the Sox don't have a great pitching staff, but there is certainly some potential and DEPTH(multiple reasonable options that could fill in if a pitcher is struggling or injuried).

We probably agree more than you think we do. But as for minor league records, Danny Wright's minor league stats are 48 starts, one complete game, 20-19 won loss, nothing great. And I like Danny Wright. Rauch finished strong last year, but he's just the tallest question mark in the big leagues. I'll confess that I don't have Grilli's numbers. My bottom line is that last year we were 4 deep in the rotation, and got killed by the fifth spot, and I'm afraid this year we are 3 deep. I know someone will get those starts, but unless Schoneweiss (sp?) really comes through, we're in for a struggle.

Our bullpen depth was pretty good last year, if you throw out Rick White. This year could be as good or better.

Good talking with you.

VERY VERY good points :headbang