AP: Pavarotti Says Goodbye to Opera

Texsox

Perhaps the greatest of all time

NEW YORK (AP) - This is the finale, Luciano Pavarotti said of Saturday's ``Tosca,'' one last opera on stage after more than four decades of the high Cs that transformed him from an insurance salesman to perhaps the most widely beloved classical singer ever.

Every ticket had been sold for 4,000 seats at Saturday night's production at the Metropolitan Opera House, the stage that made Pavarotti famous as the tenor with the big belly and super-sized smile.

He had said last summer that this would be his final staged performance at the Met. During an interview with The Associated Press on Friday, Pavarotti went a step farther: It was his final night of staged opera anywhere.

``Tomorrow is a very important day,'' the 68-year-old artist said at his apartment overlooking Central Park. ``It is the last performance on the stage.''

Just at the Met?

``Anywhere, I think,'' he said. ``I think it's time.''

What were the other 2 tenors called? I can neva remember.  :lol:

José Carreras and Plácido Domingo

They started a trend away from full operas and just signing the hits. To hear these guys fill a very large orchestra hall with their voices, without electronic amplification, is truly amazing to me.