Steve Stone

The Critic

Stone is a great analyst, and does NOT exhibit any bias at all.

His review of the White Sox was right on the money - he stated that the Sox are a very talented offensive team, that their pitching can and probably WILL be better than a lot of people expect, and that the defense is the area of concern.

( Don't necessarily agree with him on that, though - Lee and Ordonez had very good defensive seasons last year, Rowand can go get it in CF, Crede's solid at 3B, Valentin made fewer errors last year than EITHER of the legendary Yankee shortstops OR King Nomar, Harris or Uribe will pick it pretty well at second, Paulie's no liability at 1B and Olivo is already more than solid behind the plate. So where's the weakness? )

It just shows that Stone actually bases his opinions on what he sees, unlike guys like Rick Sutcliffe, who just parrots what the rest of the "crack staff at ESPN" bleat on their broadcasts.

As bad as Chimp Caray is, Stone is worth listening to at every opportunity.

I usually don't mind Steve Stone, but he was in rare form yesterday. Wright and Riviera seemed confused with Todd Walker on 1B and Riviera went ou to talk to him. Stone said they shouldn't be worried about Walker stealing because he had a grand total of one SB last year. He was the last person they needed to focus on.

So what happened, you ask? I'll tell you.

Walker takes off on the next pitch and Riviera tries to throw him out from his knees. The throw was on the 3B side of the bag and Walker gets a SB. Only one pitch after Stone said him stealing wasn't an issue to be worried about.

The other thing I hate about ST broadcasts, is the announcers get off on tangents or busy with an interview and they will let a whole at bat go by without telling you the players name. It wasn't just Stone and Caray yesterday. I have seen it in past years with Hawk and DJ. I remember one inning a few years ago when a Sox pitcher came in with a high number that I didn't recognize. They never mentioned the pitcher by name, nor did any on-screen graphics tell us. I was pissed. LOL

I usually don't mind Steve Stone, but he was in rare form yesterday. Wright and Riviera seemed confused with Todd Walker on 1B and Riviera went ou to talk to him. Stone said they shouldn't be worried about Walker stealing because he had a grand total of one SB last year. He was the last person they needed to focus on.

So what happened, you ask? I'll tell you.

Walker takes off on the next pitch and Riviera tries to throw him out from his knees. The throw was on the 3B side of the bag and Walker gets a SB. Only one pitch after Stone said him stealing wasn't an issue to be worried about.

The other thing I hate about ST broadcasts, is the announcers get off on tangents or busy with an interview and they will let a whole at bat go by without telling you the players name. It wasn't just Stone and Caray yesterday. I have seen it in past years with Hawk and DJ. I remember one inning a few years ago when a Sox pitcher came in with a high number that I didn't recognize. They never mentioned the pitcher by name, nor did any on-screen graphics tell us. I was pissed. LOL

I saw that too Rex. I was thinking to myself about their comments when Rivera went to the mound. I think he was trying to talk with the pitcher and probbaly get a feel for what might happen and the Cubs guys started that BS. They try to be arm chair managers from the broadcast booth. I also thought it was grating when Chimp tried to minimize Gload's home run and the the single by Rowand saying that it was HR only because it was Arizona and there was a slight breeze out to the OF. He followed that up by saying Rowand only got a hit because of the hard sun baked infield.

I've always thought it would be excellent if they could put him and Hawk in the TV booth for the Cubs Sox games.

That would be pretty cool, especially if Hawk got pissed and they fought!! I would like to see how they meshed with each other. I also always like to hear the other team's perspective and opinion of our team.

I've always thought it would be excellent if they could put him and Hawk in the TV booth for the Cubs Sox games.

Both have excellent knowledge of the game and they compliment whichever team is out there. That would be one of the greatest booth duos in Chicago and probably around the world IMHO.

I had a TON of respect for Stone until the playoffs last season. I thought he did a great job of being unbiased and telling the truth about the Cubs and the teams they were playing.

However, when he was filling in for Santo last year during the playoff he made a lot of arrogant comments which came off poorly to me. For example; when the Cubs were up 3-1 in game 5 at Florida Hughes said "The Marlins have never lost a play-off series." Then Stone came back with "Well they are going to lose this one." I know he's a Cubs announcer, but with that teams history it's probably not the comment you want to make, espically since the Marlins won the series. He just didn't give the Marlins enough credit in my opinion.

Of course he's biased, so are Hawk and DJ.  I think our team has a stigma that we stink at defense and it will take a couple years of not stinking to get rid of it.

Your right on with both points, and last yr was only yr 1 of decent D. I'm afraid some though will always downgrade our D as long as Jose is the SS.

Personally, i dont really like Hawk.  Sure the Hawkisms are wonderful, but him and DJ just bore me or just get so damn off track with their statements that they piss me off.  I'd rather listen to Farmer and Rooney.

ya dj just adds little comments on the side and i get so confused sometimes and other times they put me to sleep. i'll give hawk some credit but dj doesnt do much good in the booth.

I'd rather listen to Farmer and Rooney.

I can't stand Farmer and Rooney. When I am forced to listen to them (driving home from work, etc) it kills having to listen to those two. They never say a score and get way to wrapped up in some dumb golf story. If they told the score during the inning at least once, I might have a stronger tolerance for those two.

Personally, i dont really like Hawk.  Sure the Hawkisms are wonderful, but him and DJ just bore me or just get so damn off track with their statements that they piss me off.  I'd rather listen to Farmer and Rooney.

Amen.

That happened on Saturday when they were talking to Santo. To put it plainly, I was pissed as hell. They went the whole at bat without saying who was up.

Both have excellent knowledge of the game and they compliment whichever team is out there. That would be one of the greatest booth duos in Chicago and probably around the world IMHO.

I've heard Caray-Pierce in the 80s was a very good combo.

It's too bad not more people know that Harry Caray was a play-by-play guy for the Sox. From what I've been told, he was with the Sox in his prime, and fizzled out with the Cubs.

The other thing I hate about ST broadcasts, is the announcers get off on tangents or busy with an interview and they will let a whole at bat go by without telling you the players name.  They never mentioned the pitcher by name, nor did any on-screen graphics tell us. I was pissed. LOL

It's not only during ST broadcasts. One of the Sox/Cubs games last year that was on WGN was the same way. White Sox up to bat, and nearly a whole inning went by with Stone/Caray rambling about the Scrubbies.

I can't stand Farmer and Rooney.  When I am forced to listen to them (driving home from work, etc) it kills having to listen to those two.  They never say a score and get way to wrapped up in some dumb golf story.  If they told the score during the inning at least once, I might have a stronger tolerance for those two.

I agree about the score issue, because when I get off work, I turn on the game and wait and wait and wait for the score. Overall I'm rather pleased with their announcing. They're pretty good at giving you stats and other trivial quotes about the players makeup, whether on the Sox or the opposition. Farmers weakness...... whatever happens, he's got a nice long long story that takes at least 5 to 8 pitches to finish about how he was involved in a certain situation that was related to a play that just happened. Some innings there's more broadcasting about his personal baseball history than there is about the game.

It's not only during ST broadcasts. One of the Sox/Cubs games last year that was on WGN was the same way. White Sox up to bat, and nearly a whole inning went by with Stone/Caray rambling about the Scrubbies.

You're right, but it is not only Cubs announcers. Hawk and DJ are just as guilty at times.

You're right, but it is not only Cubs announcers.  Hawk and DJ are just as guilty at times.

I guess you're right Rex! I guess that it's just so much more noticeable from the Scrubbie announcers because, let's face it, that's all we ever hear "EVERYWHERE" is Cubs this or Cubs that. You get so sick of it, that one of the ways we Sox fans get to tune it out is by watching a Sox game. Unfortunately though, when Stone/Caray announce the cross town game, It's the "Here we go having to listen to all the Cubs slop again". Maybe that's why I didn't notice it as much from Hawk & D.J. I just get so blasted sick and tired of seeing, hearing and being plastered with continuous "CUBS ARE THE SUPREME EXISTENCE OF CHICAGOLAND BASEBALL" Garbage constantly being shoved down our throats by TV, Papers, Stores, etc.

I've heard Caray-Pierce in the 80s was a very good combo. 

It's too bad not more people know that Harry Caray was a play-by-play guy for the Sox.  From what I've been told, he was with the Sox in his prime, and fizzled out with the Cubs.

That was Jimmy Piersall. Former Red Sox outfielder and subject of the movir "Fear Strikes Out".

During these spring training games, I don't mind these rambling on about whatever. After all, it's spring training for them too. It's takes them a few games to work out the kinks and get their timing down. Of course, be spring training time, I'm just ready for any baseball game. I can thoroughly enjoy a ballgame without any announcers. I know enough about the game to be able to keep up with it without someone telling me what';s happening.