Wright=5th starter?

WHarris1

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said he would likely name his fifth starter on Thursday.

Dan Wright has become the heavy favorite. "It's between him and (Jason) Grilli," Guillen said. Grilli, a Rule 5 pick from Florida, probably will stick as a middle reliever.

Why would he name his 5th starter on Thursday? Why not see who does the best over the entire spring?

I'd guess that he wants to get his guys mentally prepared for their spot in the rotation, and at this point Wright has shown enough for serious consideration for the 5 spot or even the 4 spot.

But I can see your point about keeping the competition alive for the spot. Grilli won't lack for motivation either way, though, since he's got to know that nothing is guaranteed for him on this staff. The pitching has been a fairly pleasant surprise, with guys like Pollitte, Koch, Rauch, Cotts, along with Wright and Grilli, throwing pretty well thus far. The only real disappointment to this point has been Takatsu, and I don't really know what to expect from him from here on out.

Watching Saturday's game on TV I was impressed with Dan Wright. He pitched a real good game and looked comfortable on the mound. One at bat that Moises Alou had really sticks in my mind and that's when Wright broke off a great curve to get Alou on a called third strike. Cotts did well too and the run that scored off him was on a HBP and poor defense by young players rather than Cotts getting hit hard.