Gload's Homer

Loaiza21

Did any of you see the homer Gload hit yesterday off Zambrano? That ball just flew right out. The guys a lefty and he's got huge muscles and height. I almost wish there was a way this guy could play everyday, because he looks like he could be a serious power threat.

My exact quote after seeing the highlight was "Holy s***, he went opposite field". I haven't seen a lot of spring training games but from what I've read and the little I've seen, I'd say he definitely deserves to be on the ML team. He can play 1B/DH/LF/RF, Uribe for the other infield positions, Sandy to catch and then another OF. Sounds like the team to me, other than pitchers of course.

reed and sweeny will be in the minors this year so dont get ur hopes up. i wouldnt doubt seeing gload on the bench this year though.

Not according to Ozzie, when Gload was batting today Ozzie said "This is a guy that will be coming with me to Chicago in a couple of weeks."

Gload is on the team.

CWSOX45

Id like to see Reed and Sweeney battle out of for that outfiwld position.

Sweeney is a year removed from high school. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. He'll most likely begin the season at Winston-Salem and then move to Kannapolis.

It will be an interesting battle for OF spots in the next 2-3 years. We have Lee, maybe Ordonez and Rowand and Gload and Burke backing then up in '04. I would like to have seen Borchard get the 4th spot, but his injury has lmited him this Spring. Now seeing Sweeny, Reed and Anderson all you can say is WOW! Could Gload be the Sox 1B in a year or two?

I like this guy Gload. Of course the scrubs announcers just couldn't say antyhing good about his homer. They said it was an Arizona HR and would have been an out in W®igley. Wigely the bandbox? I don't think so. The fact he went opposite field was the most impressive thing to me.

i know borchard is gonna start in triple a, but frankly i'd rather have him up here as our back up OF instead of valenzuela or any of our other young guys who are showing a lot of promise. if maggs leaves, i want reed, valenzuela, these type guys to be able to come up full time and be productive. If they're sitting on the bench with the ML club they're not learning or growing as players. I'm kinda feeling the same about gload cuz he's got huge potential, but since he can play 4 diff positions i'm pretty sure he'll get some quality at bats in.

Amen! And what's so impressive about them is that they are all left-handed!! That's a triple combo of good hitters for many years in the sox organization. :)

Sweeney looks awfully skinny (not saying you need to be real strong to play MLB, though.) I hope he hits the weights hard in the upcoming years.

BTW, Off topic a bit, but I really love Joe Crede's stroke. It seems like he gets the bat-head all the way around, quickly and smoothly, and I think he's gonna be a real nice surprise for us this season.

Amen! And what's so impressive about them is that they are all left-handed!! That's a triple combo of good hitters for many years in the sox organization. :)

Anderson is RH.

I'm liking the idea of a Charlotte OF of Borchard, Reed and Valenzuela. Birmingham's the OF that will suck. LOL

Sweeney looks awfully skinny (not saying you need to be real strong to play MLB, though.)  I hope he hits the weights hard in the upcoming years. 

BTW, Off topic a bit, but I really love Joe Crede's stroke.  It seems like he gets the bat-head all the way around, quickly and smoothly, and I think he's gonna be a real nice surprise for us this season.

I thought the same thing. Is Sweeney an average type hitter meaning the BA and goes for the singles and line drives? Or does he have some power? Looks pretty skinny to me to have a lot of pop in that bat. Crede will be tremendous this year in my humble opinion. I sure do like his defense too. With a full year under his belt and working with Walker I think Crede will be up there with 25 plus homers and a good BA.

Sweeney has some power. Watching him take BP, I was like wow, he's got an easy swing and the ball isn't going too far.

Then I look and the ball is carrying out of the park to center. Its like a sneaky type power and the kid is only 19.

He's going to fill out nicely and should develop even more power, but he already has more then just "Gap Power that should develop into home run power".

Gload is going to be a huge boost off the bench this year. Hopefully he can come up with the key hits as well when we really need him. Sweeney, which I believe, can actually hold his own in the big leagues now. The guy has done nothing but cream the ball. The sox will develop him more, but he has shown now that he can hit big league pitching.

Gload is having a wonderful spring. But keep in mind he only showed average power last year in Charlotte (18 dingers I think) and he's hardly an "awesome prospect". He'll be a decent bench player and a capable fill in if someone gets hurt, but I don't see him becoming a solid major league starter.

Gload is having a wonderful spring.  But keep in mind he only showed average power last year in Charlotte (18 dingers I think) and he's hardly an "awesome prospect".  He'll be a decent bench player and a capable fill in if someone gets hurt, but I don't see him becoming a solid major league starter.

Gload wasn't even a prospect period. He has some major league experience having traveled around a bit from different teams. 18 homers in Charlotte I'll gladly take outta him. We don't need a homerun type guy on our bench, just get the key hits when needed and not do too much. ;)