New "planet" detected

southsider2k5

Very cool, whether Sedna is a planet, a planetoid, or an inner Oort object. I'm guessing the discoverers are hoping at least some people classify it as a planet, hence the "S" name they gave it. We can all still remember the TEN planets with only slight tweaking of the old nmemonic: "My Very Erstwhile Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizza SLICES."

Very cool, whether Sedna is a planet, a planetoid, or an inner Oort object.  I'm guessing the discoverers are hoping at least some people classify it as a planet, hence the "S" name they gave it.  We can all still remember the TEN planets with only slight tweaking of the old nmemonic: "My Very Erstwhile Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizza SLICES."

I learned it as earthly mother. You must ahve gone to a fancy shmancy ejukated skool :lol:

I learned it as earthly mother. You must ahve gone to a fancy shmancy ejukated skool  :lol:

I have heard it before as earthly, energetic, and eager. I always figured earthly was kinda cheating, since if you could remember that then you could remember EARTH too.

I just had a mnemonic conversation on the mlb Sox board, and submitted my all-time favorites.

'Pelican Egg Omelettes Make People Puke' is for remembering the Epochs of the pre-Holocene Tertiary/Quaternary in Geological Time - Paleocene, Eocene, Oligocene, Miocene, Pleocene, Pleistocene. Yes, of little relevance to all but a select few of us.

Then, for remembering the 12 cranial nerves (olfactory, optic, occular-motor, trochlear, trigeminal, abducens, facial, accessory, glossopharyngeal, vagus, somatic, hypoglossal), we were taught both the official (clean) and unnofficial (dirty) mnemonic at my fien Jesuit high school.

Clean: 'On Old Olumpus' Towering Tops, A Fin and German Viewed Some Hops' (Of course it didn't make sense, because Greece/Mount Olympus is in winr country, well away from Europe's hop growing regions - I figured I'd be preemptive before someone else pointed that out)

Dirty: 'Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel A Girl's V-----, So Fine.' Of course that's the one all the guys remembered. ;)