More Bears News!!!

Salaam may not be a top OT but I think he is still an upgrade to what the Bears have now. Sign him up. Future looks good for the Bears now. Plus it give them a chance to really go after whatever they want in the draft instead of having to worry about so many needs.

Always nice to see them actually care about the amount of time they are giving Rex to throw.

He did pretty well last year with a patchwork OL.

I am just "giddy" :lol: about Rex's future accomplishments with a quality line in front of him.

The O-Line didn't do a terrible job towards the end of the year. I saw a lot of improvement in Gibson that wasn't there at the beginning of the year, as well as several others.

Hopefully Salaam will sign with us. We are going to be, for the first time in a while, very deep at our O-Line positions. If Salaam signs, we'll most likely have: Salaam - Tucker - Kruetz - Gandy - Tait. With quality backups of Gibson, Metcalf, Mitchell, Columbo (maybe), Edwards, and Warner.

Angelo has done a great job, though I wish he would have made a run at another CB, but who knows, he may have something else in the works. I think RW's days may be numbered if he doesn't take a paycut.

Angelo has done a great job, though I wish he would have made a run at another CB, but who knows, he may have something else in the works.  I think RW's days may be numbered if he doesn't take a paycut.

I have not heard any talk of the Bears asking RW to renegoiate his contract. My guess is his cap number is not that big this season and depending on his performance in 2004 will dictate whether he remains a Chicago Bear.

I think the Bears will probably tell Rdub to restructure or he'll be cut. Thats just my guess. First, I think they want to deal with the more pressing needs.

This would be a great signing. Salaam has plenty of experience and is only 26 years old. He has a pretty bright future and if he signs, the Bears oline and Rex Grossman should at least feel safe. I'd also say that Thomas Jones and whoever else is carrying the ball should be happy.

I do believe this means one of the olineman - at least one, will be dealt.

Were doin it this year! were actually trying to win it seems! Im happy most of all for all the rookies last year who worked so hard and played so well with a s***ty team, and now were building around them, we'll be good for a couple years with wade, briggs, tillman, grossman, gage! :cheers

Why do fans want this guy? No other team in the league seems to want him. Here is a scouting report on him from last year:

Ephraim Salaam Scouting Report

Preseason projected role Salaam, a former top pick for the Falcons, held down the left side of the line last year and was adequate. The Broncos hope he can get better and maintain his hold on the starting job.

Assets Good athleticism and quickness. Excellent wingspan. Has the footwork to be an excellent pass blocker. Improved his technique last season.

Flaws Has leverage problems and can be thrown off balance. Doesn't appear that strong. Doesn't play with a lot of heart.

Career potential Adequate starter.

Transactions / Injuries / Suspensions

02-Mar-04: Waived by the Denver Broncos.

Trades

15-Apr-02: Signed as a free agent by the Denver Broncos.

18-Apr-98: Drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in the 7th round (199th overall) in 1998.

Adequate starter? I would rather just keep Mitchell in there and see what he can do. Salaam would be nothing more than a backup to Mitchell in my opinion. If that is all they are trying to do, improve depth, then I am all for it. But to have him as my starting LT then no way!

I tried to look for an Quasim Mitchell scouting report... Surprisingly I came up empty..

Here's what I found.

23-Dec-03: Placed on injured reserve (leg injury). 
15-Nov-03: Signed by the Chicago Bears from the practice squad. 
17-Sep-03: Signed by the Chicago Bears to the practice squad. 
12-Sep-03: Waived by the Cleveland Browns from the practice squad. 
01-Sep-03: Signed by the Cleveland Browns to the practice squad. 
31-Aug-03: Waived by the Cleveland Browns. 

Trades 
25-Apr-02: Signed as an undrafted free agent by the Cleveland Browns. 

Career Stats 
Year Team G GS FR TD 
2003 Chicago 2 2 0 0 
2002 Cle-IR - - 0 0

I tried to look for an Quasim Mitchell scouting report... Surprisingly I came up empty..

Here's what I found.

23-Dec-03: Placed on injured reserve (leg injury). 
12-Sep-03: Waived by the Cleveland Browns from the practice squad. 
01-Sep-03: Signed by the Cleveland Browns to the practice squad. 
31-Aug-03: Waived by the Cleveland Browns. 

Trades 
25-Apr-02: Signed as an undrafted free agent by the Cleveland Browns. 

Career Stats 
Year Team G GS FR TD 
2003 Chicago 2 2 0 0 
2002 Cle-IR - - 0 0

Most likely because you are spelling his first name wrong. It is Qasim. From what I heard Cleveland was hoping to get him back after he was waived. They were very high on him and now the Bears are very high on him. Regardless, I would still rather see what he could do before giving the job to Salaam becuase I alreday knoww hat Salaam can do. Adequate at best.

Quote from Kiper:

Kiper Quote

Then there’s guard Qasim Mitchell from North Carolina A&T, who was rated among the nation’s top players at his position but didn’t get drafted. Instead he hooked on as a free agent.

“He should have been a fourth- or fifth-round pick in my opinion,” said Mel Kiper, Jr., the ESPN NFL draft analyst who has spent the last 25 years studying this annual football talent grab.

Cleveland also waived Tre' Johnson at one point.

Why do fans want this guy? No other team in the league seems to want him. Here is a scouting report on him from last year:

Ephraim Salaam Scouting Report

Adequate starter? I would rather just keep Mitchell in there and see what he can do. Salaam would be nothing more than a backup to Mitchell in my opinion. If that is all they are trying to do, improve depth, then I am all for it. But to have him as my starting LT then no way!

Scouting Reports are opinions, nothing else. If he can start for 2 years for the Broncos, that's a good enough resume for me. However, I didn't know he was released--I thought he was simply a free agent. Was he released as a cap casualty? Or other reason?

Scouting Reports are opinions, nothing else.  If he can start for 2 years for the Broncos, that's a good enough resume for me.  However, I didn't know he was released--I thought he was simply a free agent.  Was he released as a cap casualty?  Or other reason?

He is a 7 year veteran who was released for a reason and is not getting any serious offers for a reason. I highly doubt he took up much cap space and if that was the case they could have simply restructured his contract as no one else seems to want him either. Not as a starter anyway. The Bears are offering him to be a back up, that is all, nothing more. In some systems, such as the Broncos, tackles are not what the offensive line is based on. I think you saw New England run a successful offence without strong tackles as well. In the Bears offense you need strong tackles. Just like KC and STL.

I am becoming more and more convinced that the Bears will be adding a dt in the 1st round.  Then I think they go wr and cb.

I agree with you. I would not be disappointed with DB DaAngelo Hall, DT Vince Wilfork, or DT Randy Starks. Any one of these guys can realistically be there when we draft. I like Reggie Williams a lot but I am not sure he fits our offense. I think we may need more speed at the WR position. He should be there as well.