Where has Brando been?

southsider2k5

Maybe some Russian politics will draw him out of hiding...

President Vladimir Putin's trouncing of five challengers on his way to re-election was preceded by a campaign in which he never appeared in any televised debates, used none of the free airtime candidates are allowed and gave no hints about his platform for his second term.

He didn't have to do any of that. State-controlled television coverage was heavily biased in favor of Putin and gave an incumbent with almost cultlike popularity an even bigger edge, independent election observers said Monday.

The finding, made by a team of observers from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, joined a growing number of allegations of election irregularities that cast doubt on the fairness of Sunday's presidential contest.

Those alleged irregularities included reports in the Russian media of ballot stuffing in Chechnya and charges by other groups that many Russians were coerced into voting after being told they could lose their jobs or, in the case of college students, be evicted from their dormitories if they didn't vote.

The biggest threat to Putin on Sunday was a turnout of below 50 percent, which would have invalidated the election.

The OSCE team, which scrutinized media coverage during the campaign and stationed observers at polls on Election Day, concluded in preliminary findings that the election "lacked the elements of a genuine democratic contest."

The OSCE's remarks mirrored comments made by its observers after Russia's parliamentary elections in December, when gains by the pro-Putin United Russia Party put control of parliament firmly in Putin's hands.

During that election, the government's use of taxpayer money to benefit pro-Kremlin parties, particularly United Russia, skewed the results and ultimately tainted the election, OSCE observers said.

Fallout from Sunday's election suggested little has changed since December. OSCE observers monitored television coverage of the candidates and found a decisive bias in Putin's favor.

`Overwhelmingly positive'

For example, the state-controlled First Channel devoted cumulatively four hours of prime-time political and election coverage to Putin in the four weeks preceding the election, almost all of it "overwhelmingly positive," stated an OSCE report released Monday. The next most-covered candidate received just 21 minutes of prime-time coverage.

OSCE officials also cited efforts to derail the candidacy of Sergei Glazyev, who had begun to rally nationalist-minded Russians and was seen by analysts as a thorn in the side of the Kremlin.

When Glazyev took his campaign to the city of Nizhny Novgorod, authorities shut off the electricity to the building where he was holding a news conference. Local authorities also were allegedly behind decisions by media in Yekaterinburg and Novosibirsk to ignore Glazyev's campaign visits in those cities.

The Moscow Times reported allegations made by a polling station official in Chechnya that high-ranking election officials in the war-torn province had ordered ballot stuffing that favored Putin and the edict was carried out.

Russia's Central Election Commission reported an astounding turnout of more than 90 percent in Chechnya, a figure one European election-monitoring official dismissed as improbable.

"It is totally surprising to us--I cannot believe that these are correct figures," Rudolf Bindig, head of a group of observers from the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, said on Russian Ekho Moskvy radio.

Bindig added that he also was taken aback by voter results that had Putin winning 93 percent of the vote in Chechnya. Many Chechens blame Putin for the continuation of the war in Chechnya, which has killed thousands of civilians and gutted the north Caucasus province.

"I have been there more than 10 times and have spoken to people on the street," Bindig said, "so indeed, that is surprising for me."

There were widespread allegations that regional and local authorities were exerting pressure on voters and local election officials to ensure that the 50 percent turnout threshold was met. OSCE observers said representatives for the president of the Ural Mountains republic of Bashkortostan ordered election commissioners in the town of Neftekamsk to produce a high turnout and encourage voters to pick Putin.

There were similar allegations in the provincial republics of Mari El and Chuvash, and in the southern Russian Krasnodar region.

"A system of beefing up turnout and garnering votes was pressed into service," said the race's lone liberal, Irina Khakamada. She garnered just 3.8 percent of the vote. "I am sure that this machine is getting out of control."

Putin dismisses critics

Speaking at a late-night news conference after the election, Putin dismissed criticisms from the Bush administration that state-owned television made its coverage favorable to him and denied his rivals equal access. He also suggested the criticism was hypocritical, given the controversy surrounding the Florida recount that culminated in President Bush's narrow victory over Al Gore in 2000.

"People here say that some people see the speck in another's eye and ignore the log in their own," Putin said. "Almost four years ago we watched with amazement at how the American electoral system misfired. So I hope that when they criticize us, they will draw certain conclusions for themselves and improve their democratic procedures."

On Monday, Bush called the Russian president to congratulate him on his landslide victory. Putin had 71 percent of vote, compared with nearly 14 percent for his nearest challenger, Communist Party candidate Nikolai Kharitonov.

"The president emphasized how with this election President Putin has an opportunity to deepen Russia's commitment to reform, market-based reform and democratic reform," Bush spokesman Scott McClellan said.

I think Brando took the recent loss of his grandmother very hard, and has decided to take a break for a while. He was in the middle of one debate or another (I don't remember what), and he got the news. She was still over in Russia and up in her 90s. A vvery strong woman her whole life, from what Brando shared, she prettu much raised him. She'd been in declining health for a few years but a loss like that is still something that leaves a whole.

Sending good thoughts his way wherever he is. :cheers

She'd been in declining health for a few years but a loss like that is still something that leaves a hole.

Sending good thoughts his way wherever he is.  :cheers

Agree with the first part of the post and ditto on the good thoughts.

Brian's friend died over the weekend and even though he had been ill (he was ravaged quickly by leukemia - Brian talked to him a few weeks ago, was diagnosed right after that and lost his battle on Saturday) it still came as a shock to him.

I think Brando took the recent loss of his grandmother very hard, and has decided to take a break for a while.  He was in the middle of one debate or another (I don't remember what), and he got the news.  She was still over in Russia and up in her 90s.  A vvery strong woman her whole life, from what Brando shared, she prettu much raised him.  She'd been in declining health for a few years but a loss like that is still something that leaves a whole.

Sending good thoughts his way wherever he is.  :cheers

Wow. I hadn't heard that. :o

Prayers and best wishes to ya whereever you are Brando! Comeback soon.

Wow, I didn't hear that either.

Brando - My best wishes go out to you and your family. Thats a very tough thing, especially since she was so involved in your life. It was really pretty hard when I lost my grandpa three years ago (as of yesterday).

I'm so so sorry to hear about your loss.

I never waded into the Mel Thread and feel terrible I missed his post.

Peace to you Brando. The history your grandmother saw in her long life is amazing. I hope that someone in your family chronicled her life. To have someone you love that long is truly a great blessing. Sorrow shall pass, Love is forever.