Baltimore interested in Maggs

DBAHO

Here's some of the article,

The Orioles have made it known since December that they would make right fielder Jay Gibbons available for the right trade, and they may have found a willing partner in the Los Angeles Dodgers -- who are seeking to trade a starting pitcher for a hitter.

Orioles Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations Jim Beattie acknowledged the Orioles' desire to add a proven starting pitcher but declined to address specifics.

The Dodgers have had a scout following the Orioles regularly this spring, and according to a league source, they have targeted left fielder Larry Bigbie, offering a starting pitcher such as left-handers Odalis Perez or Kaz Ishii in return. However, the Orioles are believed to be unwilling to part with Bigbie, preferring to send Gibbons, 27, to the Dodgers.

According to an Orioles source, the Dodgers have not shown a willingness to give up 20-year-old right-hander Edwin Jackson, ranked by Baseball America as the top pitching prospect in baseball.

If Gibbons is in fact on the block, it is because the Orioles are facing difficult decisions in the outfield. The team would like to carry both B.J. Surhoff and Jack Cust -- both of whom, like Gibbons, are left-handed-hitting corner outfielders -- but may be forced to let one go unless an opening develops.

Cust, a 25-year-old with enormous power potential, is out of major league options, meaning he would have to be passed through waivers to send to the minors. Team officials believe firmly Cust would be claimed if exposed to the waiver wire.

In addition, the Orioles on Monday started infielder Jose Bautista, a Rule 5 draftee whom they must keep on their roster all season or lose him, in left field for the first time this spring -- another indication they may be looking for additional options in the outfield if Gibbons is traded.

"We want to see him out there," Mazzilli said of Bautista. "You have to keep your options open."

In terms of long-term strategy for their outfield, the Orioles, with some $18 million in salary room coming available after this season, may target free agent outfielders Carlos Beltran and, or, Magglio Ordoñez after this season.

I don't think a deal could be done with the O's. They don't have the young pitching that we would be looking for in a deal for Maggs. I don't think they are worried about RF because they think someone will step in, and soon enough one of the plethora of OF's we have will replace Ordonez as a superstar. They might also look at middle IF prospects in a deal, but I real suspect they are going the future star SP route.

I don't think they are worried about RF because they think someone will step in, and soon enough one of the plethora of OF's we have will replace Ordonez as a superstar.

I guess it's relative -- how soon is "soon enough"? We have 3 or 4 guys with a lot of upside but maybe at best only 1 or 2 are fighting to even make the big club out of ST. Which one of these guys will even be loosely considered a superstar in the time frame we are talking about as the most likely Magglio departure scenario (by July to after the end of the season at the latest)?

Like most everyone, I'm high on the potential of Reed and hopefuly Borchard in the now-to near future, Sweeny in a few years. But None of them are going to be superstars "soon enough" to not feel the loss when Magglio is gone.

Yea, I don't see this as much. Maggs will probably go to them if they are willing to pay alot for him.

And that they will, if they get the opportunity. They expected to spend a whole lot more this offseason. They decided to stop spending for now, and wait for next year's FA class.