Cat Dissection

Heads22

Anyone ever done one of these? We are on day 4 in our human anatomy class. We took 3 days to skin the cats and eliminate some fascia, and today we looked at muscles under the chin and neck including the sternomastoid and the mylohyoid. Our cat has the mylohyoid and the diagastric really well defined and I guess we did a good job. You get over the fact you're cutting into someone's pet (possibly PA's) really quickly.

For anyone wanting to see what wedid today: http://fp.dl.kent.edu/hyork/catmusnk.htm

The muscles on our cat are darker and more well defined.

Heads, I will do that next year. I was going to take anatomy this year, but figured there would be too many juniors in there for my liking(me being a sophomore and all). Should be fun.

However, I think the part of dissections I dislike the most is the scent of formaldehyde. It is horrendous and you never get used to the scent unlike almost everything else. It gives me the chills every time I think about the scent. I would have to say it is very close to the worst smell ever.

Heads, I will do that next year.  I was going to take anatomy this year, but figured there would be too many juniors in there for my liking(me being a sophomore and all).  Should be fun.

However, I think the part of dissections I dislike the most is the scent of formaldehyde.  It is horrendous and you never get used to the scent unlike almost everything else.  It gives me the chills every time I think about the scent.  I would have to say it is very close to the worst smell ever.

I got used to it quickly....

Anyone ever done one of these? We are on day 4 in our human anatomy class. We took 3 days to skin the cats and eliminate some fascia, and today we looked at muscles under the chin and neck including the sternomastoid and the mylohyoid. Our cat has the mylohyoid and the diagastric really well defined and I guess we did a good job. You get over the fact you're cutting into someone's pet (possibly PA's) really quickly.

For anyone wanting to see what wedid today: http://fp.dl.kent.edu/hyork/catmusnk.htm

The muscles on our cat are darker and more well defined.

Ya, I did that as well as disected a pig.

Today in my bio lab we worked on live goldfish and mice and no we didn't harm them. Was pretty cool..mainly cause lab is pretty kick back.

All I remember from disecting is that the crap they use to prevent the animals from rotting absolutely reaks. I also remember disecting it and throwing a part of the animal at one of my friends :lol:

Well this summer I had the pleasure of helping my buddy castrate his bulls. I helped cut the bulls from the cows. Drive them down the chute to the gate, lock 'em in, rope the back leg, pull it back, and watch the cutter cut off the sack, reach up and pull down the balls and toss them aside. There is only the smallest amount of blood. Open the gate and off they run.

After that, a disection would be a piece of cake. ;)

Well this summer I had the pleasure of helping my buddy castrate his bulls. I helped cut the bulls from the cows. Drive them down the chute to the gate, lock 'em in, rope the back leg, pull it back, and watch the cutter cut off the sack, reach up and pull down the balls and toss them aside. There is only the smallest amount of blood. Open the gate and off they run.

After that, a disection would be a piece of cake.  ;)

Thats it, I'm now joining PITA...that shouldn't happen to anyone.

Thats it, I'm now joining PITA...that shouldn't happen to anyone.

Tomorrow morning about 200 head will be taking a trip away from the ranch and sent to what the cows and steers will think is heaven. They are heading to the feed yard for 5 months of munching on grain before they will show up on a table near you.

PETA

Heads, I will do that next year.  I was going to take anatomy this year, but figured there would be too many juniors in there for my liking(me being a sophomore and all).  Should be fun.

However, I think the part of dissections I dislike the most is the scent of formaldehyde.  It is horrendous and you never get used to the scent unlike almost everything else.  It gives me the chills every time I think about the scent.  I would have to say it is very close to the worst smell ever.

If the dissections are being done in high school or college settings using material purchased from Carolina Biological, Fisher, etc., I can pretty much guarantee you they are not delivered in formaldehyde (suspected carcinogen, known tumor inducer, crystalyzes brain cells etc. nasty stuff in terms- of long-term exposure).

The school material is usually packaged in a preservative cocktail branded as Karo-Safe after it has been hard-preserved in formaldehyde, tha vascular system is double-or tripple latex injected (to distinguish arteries and veins), and then switched ovver to ethanol. Karo-Safe is mostlyalcohol, with lots of "purfumes" to mask the decay, and some glycerine-like compounds in it to keep the alcohol from evaporating. The stuff is not nearly as effective as formaldehyde, but is a lot safer to work with.

I was a comparative vertebrate anatomy lab TA for a number of years in grad school, so slicing up dogfish (sharks), mudpuppies (like a big newt), cats, and sheep was the main order of business. The most amazing thing to me witth something like the cats is how DIFFERENT they all are internally (and we're much the same). The anatomy diagrams in texts are idealized textbook rrepresenttations of a wide range of natural variation in organ and tissue size, shape, and placement. Extra blood vessels - sometimes completely redundant portions of systems, were actually pretty common.

I got my start in computer-delivered sciende education while doinng the CVA thing. I got reallly tird of setting up lab practicals, having students knocking dissection pins out of structures, the stink, etc., and started taking digital photos of the dessections and creating early virtual dissections to use for testing (see screen grabb of a mudpuppy heart below). This was back in 1991-1993 or so, so it was very much ahead of the virtual ed. pack. Sonovab****, I made squat doing it while people who came out with the essentially the same thing a year or two later made money marketing it. *grumble*

To ease anyones guilt: The cats are all impounded strays slated to be destryed by the pounds and very humanely euthanized. There is no dissection cat farm in India or wherever where these things are reared jst for this, and thre is no black market cat industry stealing Fluffy in the middle of the night. Ain't nobody been listening to Bob Barker when he's been telling you to spay and neuter those pets?!? :nono

If the dissections are being done in high school or college settings using material purchased from Carolina Biological, Fisher, etc., I can pretty much guarantee you they are not delivered in formaldehyde (suspected carcinogen, known tumor inducer, crystalyzes brain cells etc. nasty stuff in terms- of long-term exposure).

The school material is usually packaged in a preservative cocktail branded as Karo-Safe after it has been hard-preserved in formaldehyde, tha vascular system is double-or tripple latex injected (to distinguish arteries and veins), and then switched ovver to ethanol.  Karo-Safe is mostlyalcohol, with lots of "purfumes" to mask the decay, and some glycerine-like compounds in it to keep the alcohol from evaporating.  The stuff is not nearly as effective as formaldehyde, but is a lot safer to work with.

I was a comparative vertebrate anatomy lab TA for a number of years in grad school, so slicing up dogfish (sharks), mudpuppies (like a big newt), cats, and sheep was the main order of business.  The most amazing thing to me witth something like the cats is how DIFFERENT they all are internally (and we're much the same).  The anatomy diagrams in texts are idealized textbook rrepresenttations of a wide range of natural variation in organ and tissue size, shape, and placement.  Extra blood vessels - sometimes completely redundant portions of systems, were actually pretty common.

I got my start in computer-delivered sciende education while doinng the CVA thing.  I got reallly tird of setting up lab practicals, having students knocking dissection pins out of structures, the stink, etc., and started taking digital photos of the dessections and creating early virtual dissections to use for testing (see screen grabb of a mudpuppy heart below).  This was back in 1991-1993 or so, so it was very much ahead of the virtual ed. pack.  Sonovab****, I made squat doing it while people who came out with the essentially the same thing a year or two later made money marketing it. *grumble*

To ease anyones guilt: The cats are all impounded strays slated to be destryed by the pounds and very humanely euthanized.  There is no dissection cat farm in India or wherever where these things are reared jst for this, and thre is no black market cat industry stealing Fluffy in the middle of the night.  Ain't nobody been listening to Bob Barker when he's been telling you to spay and neuter those pets?!?  :nono

:notworthy

Very nice read. Melikey. :)