Who should be the 5th starter?

aboz56

Who should be the 5th starter?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the 5th starter?

• Jason Grilli
    • Dan Wright

Now that we know it's down to these two guys, I wanna see what everyone thinks...I'm going with Grilli, as I picked him before spring training and also asked KW at the Soxfest Q & A about his chances of making the big club...

Grilli.

Wright is a proven long relief man and that's a niche that the Sox need to have nailed down.

Proven long relief man?

Really?

When?

Show us the numbers.

Use them both and have a 6-man rotation.

OK, just kidding. :D

I'd say Wright, but keep Grilli on the big league club and use him out of the bullpen. He could be a valuable piece to the pen as a middle reliever.

BTW, since when did long relief become such a big issue? Long relief is usually also translated as mopup guy, because a starter got rocked and someone had to come in and provide some damage control. Keep them both on the 25-man and you have your long relief no matter what.

how about who should be our 4th starter? i hate the idea of having schoeney in there. why did we give it to him already? i can see this to be another todd ritchie because KW wants to prove what he thinks. KW thought ritchie was good enough to be a no. 2 starter. Now KW thinks Schoeney deserves to be a starter, I vote Wright and Rauch althoug he got sent down.

how about who should be our 4th starter? i hate the idea of having schoeney in there. why did we give it to him already? i can see this to be another todd ritchie because KW wants to prove what he thinks. KW thought ritchie was good enough to be a no. 2 starter. Now KW thinks Schoeney deserves to be a starter, I vote Wright and Rauch althoug he got sent down.

Jason(aka Chisoxfn) has said that, after seeing Scho pitch with his own two eyes, he has much more confidence in Scho starting. That's all I need to hear.

Numbers almost never tell the whole story, and the same thing can be said almost every time about ST numbers. Just because a guy has a 1-3 record with a 5.72 ERA does not mean you should lose all confidence in him, which is just the same as a guy who is 3-0 with a 1.75 ERA(who you should not put all your confidence in him).

As has been said before...IT IS SPRING f***ING TRAINING. Do NOT worry about the numbers too incredibly much. They do not effect what they player is doing overall.

I believe reports have been that Scho has been using primarily cutters and changeups in ST. You think that's why those numbers could be like they are? He doesn't think he'll lose his fastball(and with good reason), and he doesn't think he'll lose his slider(again, probably with good reason), so he is trying to just throw the cutter and change for strikes and try to throw those two pitches well.

Look for his last few appearances to probably be a bit better and see if he mixes in a fastball every now and then.

Jason(aka Chisoxfn) has said that, after seeing Scho pitch with his own two eyes, he has much more confidence in Scho starting.  That's all I need to hear.

Numbers almost never tell the whole story, and the same thing can be said almost every time about ST numbers.  Just because a guy has a 1-3 record with a 5.72 ERA does not mean you should lose all confidence in him, which is just the same as a guy who is 3-0 with a 1.75 ERA(who you should not put all your confidence in him).

As has been said before...IT IS SPRING f***ING TRAINING.  Do NOT worry about the numbers too incredibly much.  They do not effect what they player is doing overall. 

I believe reports have been that Scho has been using primarily cutters and changeups in ST.  You think that's why those numbers could be like they are?  He doesn't think he'll lose his fastball(and with good reason), and he doesn't think he'll lose his slider(again, probably with good reason), so he is trying to just throw the cutter and change for strikes and try to throw those two pitches well.

Look for his last few appearances to probably be a bit better and see if he mixes in a fastball every now and then.

Well, if you say so....

I will definitely take back everything I have said about him in ST if he can perform well in the number 4 spot. I personally don't think he'll succeed, but I still want to see him do good.

Well, if you say so....

I will definitely take back everything I have said about him in ST if he can perform well in the number 4 spot.  I personally don't think he'll succeed, but I still want to see him do good.

He'll be a good #4 pitcher. Just as a barometer of what you should expect, Jon Garland was a good #4 pitcher last year for us. Any more from him is a bonus.

Danny Wright has earned it. There were 5 or 6 guys competing for the spot and he's been the best of the group. I always felt he would come out on top. I write off last years difficulties to the elbow and knee problems he had.

Well, if you say so....

I will definitely take back everything I have said about him in ST if he can perform well in the number 4 spot.  I personally don't think he'll succeed, but I still want to see him do good.

I would be glad to be wronged if Schoeney gives us 10-15 wins. I have been tired of seeing pitchers on the SOX who cant even get the team a chance to win.

Very interesting question.

From what I have heard Wright's stuff is perfect for the bullpen. Wright has shown he can be effective (and streaky) as a starter. Wright also has more experience.

Grilli on the other hand has a nice upside but has not shown durability.

So do you just put Wright in the pen now and give Grilli a chance to prove he can pitch at this level...IMO, No.

I think we are in this thing to win, Wright has more experience and has shown the ability to win 14 games. He looks healthy this year. Put him in the rotation.

When we have enough quality starters developed to fill a rotation then we can move Wright to the pen.

Grilli will get a chance to pitch a full major league season as a long reliever/spot starter. Hopefully he can get 90+ innings and put up some quality numbers.

Jason(aka Chisoxfn) has said that, after seeing Scho pitch with his own two eyes, he has much more confidence in Scho starting.  That's all I need to hear.

Numbers almost never tell the whole story, and the same thing can be said almost every time about ST numbers.  Just because a guy has a 1-3 record with a 5.72 ERA does not mean you should lose all confidence in him, which is just the same as a guy who is 3-0 with a 1.75 ERA(who you should not put all your confidence in him).

As has been said before...IT IS SPRING f***ING TRAINING.  Do NOT worry about the numbers too incredibly much.  They do not effect what they player is doing overall. 

I believe reports have been that Scho has been using primarily cutters and changeups in ST.  You think that's why those numbers could be like they are?  He doesn't think he'll lose his fastball(and with good reason), and he doesn't think he'll lose his slider(again, probably with good reason), so he is trying to just throw the cutter and change for strikes and try to throw those two pitches well.

Now I got the pressure if he fails :lol:

But every year aren't Sox fans arguing about how the Sox pitchers are getting shelled in Arizona and then they end up being solid (not great) once the season starts.

Pitchers work on things at spring training, especially their first couple starts. Lets see what Scho does these next two starts, when he's using all 4 of his pitches. All I know was his changeup was fooling some guys and when he's throwing a cutter and fastball (he's got a good heater although its more of a sinker) it will be nice, plus you got his slider which is a plus pitch.

The least we can do is give him his shot, cause Rauch isn't a better option, imo.

Now I got the pressure if he fails  :lol:

But every year aren't Sox fans arguing about how the Sox pitchers are getting shelled in Arizona and then they end up being solid (not great) once the season starts. 

Pitchers work on things at spring training, especially their first couple starts.  Lets see what Scho does these next two starts, when he's using all 4 of his pitches.  All I know was his changeup was fooling some guys and when he's throwing a cutter and fastball (he's got a good heater although its more of a sinker) it will be nice, plus you got his slider which is a plus pitch. 

The least we can do is give him his shot, cause Rauch isn't a better option, imo.

Jas, I'll be right there with you getting the pressure. I did back your decision. :D

And the rest of your post I agree with and feel is completely true.