MSFT to cut $30 off of Xbox price

southsider2k5

Yea, and I saw that PS2 will match ($149) it in May, or even go to $129.

I might have to break down and get one then, just in time for the next version to come out.

if PS2 ever droips to $129 you damn well better post about it because then I can get one and be a hero to my grandson (and have one at my house...!!!!!)

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (NasdaqNM:MSFT - news) plans to drop the price of its Xbox (news - web sites) video game system by $30 to $149 next month according to a story in the Wall Street Journal on Friday.

Citing people familiar with the company's plans, the Journal said Microsoft may also start selling a limited-edition Xbox packaged with its Halo shooting game, for $169.

Publishers and retailers have clamored for a price cut for the Xbox and Sony Corp (news - web sites).'s (6758.T) rival PlayStation 2 (news - web sites) this year, to either $149 or $129. Reuters has cited senior industry executives saying they expected price cuts by May this year.

On a side note does anyone know the release dates for "Metal Gear Solid 3 'Snakeeater'  and "HALO 2"  ??

I also heard Doom 3 was soon to be released.  Any word on that?

Thanks

I think Halo 2 is April. That is definately a game I am going to buy.

Damn if Xbox goes to 129, I'd be damn tempted to buy it, especially if the new systems don't come out for a while.

XBOX is starting to become the best game console out there. When the next consoles come out (whenever the hell that is) I may just go with Bill Gates' product.

Got mine for $25 from FreeVideoGames.com.  I will be putting Linux and running a webserver on there shortly. 

XBox is awesome.

HOLY s***!!!!!!! I LOVE THAT SIG!!!

RBI baseball for the old 8 bit NES was awesome. All except for the annoying as hell 2 song soundtrack it had.

Hye guys, maybe you can help fill me in. I used to LOVE video game systems, but as of late I have been too busy to invest in one and they have been too exspensive. But since BOTH major systems seem to be dropping, which do you suggest I look into? Which offers the best games? I am primarally a sports game player, but I would invest in games like GTA, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, ect...

X-box Live is the best of the on-line

Sony has the best graphics and sports games

and GameCube has some great franchise stuff.

I have all three sitting here as my game developer in training son builds his collection.

I'd say that Sony used to have the best games, but now that Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear are going to be more widely available on all systems its hard to say.

Plus HALO is freaking awesome and HALO 2 will be an Xbox game (or at least I'm assuming it is).

Graphics wise Xbox is hands down the best. Plus its got a harddrive or something built in so you can put in your own cd's and songs and listen to them while your playing a game.

PS2 is still really good and GameCube is better for kids games, imo. Although some of the games GameCube has are pretty fun.

I got PS2 and I like it...so I don't think you could go wrong with either PS2 or Xbox.