White Sox Sportscenter preview

WHarris1

Man I cant believe that crap.. i just saw the extra bases thing and it made me sick.. how can you say that a team that is the SAME as it was when last yr started minus Colon and Gordon??

I mean cmon, they added some good arms in the pen and Wright is healthy this yr and Show cant be that bad.. Konerko will do better than last yr, I would be willing to say we are better than we were last yr... Colon wasnt even that great for us, i know a lot of you would agree you were dissapointed with him..

anyway, this team will NOT finish 4th.. no way.. its like impossible and even 3rd.. PLEASE..

For two ppl who are supposed to "know" baseball im very dissapointed with therir views on the White Sox and I know you all agree

Man I cant believe that crap.. i just saw the extra bases thing and it made me sick.. how can you say that a team that is the SAME as it was when last yr started minus Colon and Gordon??

I mean cmon, they added some good arms in the pen and Wright is healthy this yr and Show cant be that bad.. Konerko will do better than last yr, I would be willing to say we are better than we were last yr... Colon wasnt even that great for us, i know a lot of you would agree you were dissapointed with him..

anyway, this team will NOT finish 4th.. no way.. its like impossible and even 3rd.. PLEASE..

For two ppl who are supposed to "know" baseball im very dissapointed with therir views on the White Sox and I know you all agree

Yeah, I really thought ESPN would give us a fair shake this time. :P

I'll also give you an "Amen" to that one bro!!!! By the way.... if you read this, be careful!!! I just hit my 100th posting! You're on the 15,000 mark. I mentioned to "Be Careful" because I might pass you up in a couple of days.

Yeah...Right!!!

:lol:

Just remember...if ya do, then you can be the Sultan Pimp of Soxtalk ;) :lol:

I know its your dream

Well by blowing them up, I can guarantee you if the Sox lose they will move Ordonez, try and move Konerko, let Koch walk, let Elo walk (they'd probably trade him at midseason), and try and move Thomas. 

This would open room to give the youngsters some gigs and the Sox would have a ton of money off the books.

The past few years the Sox haven't had to blown up, the team has been in a solid position, but you only go so long with a losing base.  If the core players can't get it done, then adjustments have to be made.

Its hard to say what will happen, but if the Sox suck this year, I don't expect much anyone with a contract back, unless they are young and signed affordably long term as well as playing good.

Plus with Reed, Borchard, Sweeney, Anderson, Honel, Wing, Rauch, and others all on the brink in the next year and a half (Albeit, some of those players would be rushed) I could see reason for the Sox to do it.

What you've described there is not "blowing up" the team. Even if these roster changes occur, that's only 5 out of 25 players involved or 20%. Blowing up the team is what the Blackhawks are doing this year or what the Bulls have repeatedly done in the post-Dynasty era. Blowing up the team often includes really stupid moves such as trading Elton Brand for a couple high schoolers. Other than letting Loaiza go, those roster change ideas of yours are too rational to be considered as part of a blowing up process.

We finished 2nd last year after being in third most of the year. We lost more than any other team in our division, Colon, Flash, Alomar, Everett (our only All-Star offensive player). We added less than the Royals. How could anyone think this is going to magically get better?

3rd makes sense in a pre-season projection. 4th isn't that much of a stretch. Show me something and I'm a believer. But for a pre-season projection I do not see anything to warrent higher than 3rd.

We finished 2nd last year after being in third most of the year. We lost more than any other team in our division, Colon, Flash, Alomar, Everett (our only All-Star offensive player). We added less than the Royals. How could anyone think this is going to magically get better?

3rd makes sense in a pre-season projection. 4th isn't that much of a stretch. Show me something and I'm a believer. But for a pre-season projection I do not see anything to warrent higher than 3rd.

Well, here's the way I'm trying to look at it:

The Twins lost more of their core players than the Sox.

The Royals did not address their most glaring need, starting pitching.

The Sox match up well IMO with Minny's pitching potential and with KC's hitting potential.

The Sox underachieved last year, which I feel was the reason they were in 3rd most of the year. When they hit like they should have all along, they started winning games.

This team seems to have a bit of a chip on its shoulder this year, having been dismissed out of hand both locally and nationally.

I really think they'll be in contention all year and end up winning the division.

Also, wasn't Ordonez an All-Star offensive player? Everett was a Texas Ranger All-Star who happened to be wearing a Sox uniform when the All-Star Game rolled around. Much like Dusty Baker wasn't the Cub All-Star manager - he led the SF Giants to the World Series and was wearing the Cubbie Blew when the ASG was played.

Harold Reynolds has always been an idiot. Last year he said that the Sox had no chance of winning their division because their defense was so bad. He actually picked them third if I remember. Then in August when they took over 1st he jumped on their band wagon and said he knew all along that if this team could pull together they could run away with the division. His thoughts are as logical as my 1 day old nephews.

You guys should not look into anything he says.

I can't disagree with Texsox here. Adding a manager that is so "happy" and full of energy that he almost makes me sick, does not automatically make you a contender. I think a lot of people are drinking the Kenny Williams / Ozzie Guillen kool-aid. :drink I hope I'm wrong, but I just think KW and OG are talking up this season and certain players a little too hard. Seems fishy. :huh

Adding a manager that is so "happy" and full of energy that he almost makes me sick, does not automatically make you a contender.

You're right, it sure didn't work for Kansas City last year.

It was their monster lineup and killer pitching, especially that 5-deep starting rotation. Who could possibly have picked the Royals as anything but season-long contenders, especially coming off such a fantastic 2002?

I'm not saying it will work or it won't, and I'm not saying that a positive attitude is all it takes. All I'm saying is that a positive frame of mind in training camp is way better than a passive/lackluster/negative one. It's a small thing, but isn't everyone involved with baseball always talking about how the little things win games?

I'm going to wait until Oz fails to blast him - and not just this year, either. I'm going to see how he does for a couple of seasons before I decide whether I'm with him or not. Right now, I like the approach I see. Making guys accountable, but defending them to the media. Calling them out, but not blasting them. It's all good to me. The players seem happy right now, and they're closer to the situation than any fan or writer.

I am not saying we cannot win our division. I would say we had no chance in the East or West, but in the good old Central, it's wide open.

If you do not want to look like a total ass, do not pick the CWS to win the division. We did not address fully any of our question marks. In fact we probably picked up a couple questions.

I want to cheer and drink the kool-aid like you wouldn't know but I'm not convinced this is the best team in the central if everyone on every team plays to potential.

And I do not pick my analysts based on how much they love the Sox.

I don't feel like picking the Sox makes someone look like a total ass. There are reasons for optimism and for pessimism. I consider Colon our only major loss, and he was barely .500 with us. I expect the following players to have better years, based on the fact they are more mature or had below par years: Rowand, Konerko, Ordonez, Wright, Koch, Garland. I can even see Frank increasing his average, since he's another year remove from the torn tricep. So before you go around everyone who has a different opinion than you "a total ass", stop and consider that opinions are like assholes. Evereyone's got one. Including you.

I don't feel like picking the Sox makes someone look like a total ass.  There are reasons for optimism and for pessimism.  I consider Colon our only major loss, and he was barely .500 with us.  I expect the following players to have better years, based on the fact they are more mature or had below par years:  Rowand, Konerko, Ordonez, Wright, Koch, Garland. I can even see Frank increasing his average, since he's another year remove from the torn tricep.  So before you go around everyone who has a different opinion than you "a total ass", stop and consider that opinions are like assholes.  Evereyone's got one.  Including you.

I agree 100%. Don't forget Crede, Lee, and Olivo getting one year better. But if you factor in the same scenario across the board with Minny and KC, they would still be ahead. Especially with the experience angle.

I do not see it as a slight in the least to have us pegged for 3rd. 4th I cannot believe unless we have some major blowout of talent at the All Star break.

I see us in the race all season. Any of the 3 could win it this year. I think KC may be a bigger threat than Minny. But either are beatable.

I agree 100%. Don't forget Crede, Lee, and Olivo getting one year better.  But if you factor in the same scenario across the board with Minny and KC, they would still be ahead. Especially with the experience angle.

I do not see it as a slight in the least to have us pegged for 3rd. 4th I cannot believe unless we have some major blowout of talent at the All Star break.

I see us in the race all season. Any of the 3 could win it this year. I think KC may be a bigger threat than Minny. But either are beatable.

:cheers

You're right, it sure didn't work for Kansas City last year.

It was their monster lineup and killer pitching, especially that 5-deep starting rotation. Who could possibly have picked the Royals as anything but season-long contenders, especially coming off such a fantastic 2002?

I'm not saying it will work or it won't, and I'm not saying that a positive attitude is all it takes. All I'm saying is that a positive frame of mind in training camp is way better than a passive/lackluster/negative one. It's a small thing, but isn't everyone involved with baseball always talking about how the little things win games?

I'm going to wait until Oz fails to blast him - and not just this year, either. I'm going to see how he does for a couple of seasons before I decide whether I'm with him or not. Right now, I like the approach I see. Making guys accountable, but defending them to the media. Calling them out, but not blasting them. It's all good to me. The players seem happy right now, and they're closer to the situation than any fan or writer.

Don't get me wrong. I'm with Ozzie. I hope a positive attitude is all this team needs. I just think KW is selling this thing like a politician and that makes me nervous.