I remember where I was when...

southsider2k5

I remember all the ones that ss2k mentioned, my first really detailed memories was the Iran hostage stuff.

Re: 9/11. I was working for an airline at that point in time at DFW. I was on my way to work and heard on the Dallas station about a plane hitting the trade center, they thought it was a commuter jobbie at that point. Sat down to go over the night's flight ops when the second plane hit. 5 minutes later the FAA rep showed up and told our flight ops guys that no matter where our planes were, they were to land immediately. That's when I knew we were in deep poop.

So, within an hour, all the planes in the country landed at the nearest airport, DFW was an incredible maze of planes and people. But there are two things I'll never forget, DFW is the third busiest airport, and the silence was deafening. And second, and even more weird was when all the people were speculating where GWBush was, we had the flight ops software that at the time still had Air Force One's transponder on!! So we were watching Air Force One flying from Fla. to Louisiana, to over Texas, got to about Midland/Odessa, Texas and did an abrupt turn to Nebraska. We were one of the few that knew where he really was, as odd as that sounds! Obviously now, even with the super flight software you can't watch where Air Force One is anymore...

Working for an airline in all of that was definately something I'll never forget.

I And second, and even more weird was when all the people were speculating where GWBush was, we had the flight ops software that at the time still had Air Force One's transponder on!! So we were watching Air Force One flying from Fla. to Louisiana, to over Texas, got to about Midland/Odessa, Texas and did an abrupt turn to Nebraska.  We were one of the few that knew where he really was, as odd as that sounds!  Obviously now, even with the super flight software you can't watch where Air Force One is anymore... 

Yeah, I'll never forget that phone call...

"I know where the President is..."

Here's one Nobody has mentioned, though it may only resonate with me.

I know there are alot of people here from other areas, but growing up in the area this one hit close to home --

The Browns Chicken Murders -- I have a good Alibi ;) plus I was 12 at the time - I got snowed into Decatur, IL -- Staying at a Holiday Inn while a toy collectors convention was going on.

Hmm, lemme try to remember...

Challenger Explosion- 3rd Grade, on the bus headed home. We were 8, so we didn't really understand the consequences of what just happened.

9/11 - Actually, was at my dentist for a cleaning. Each exam room had its own TV, and we just sat there watching, in shock.

My dad passing away- Was staying over at a friends house out of town. My moms best friend came to pick me up at his house, and wouldnt talk to me at all. I asked why my mom didn't pick me up, and my moms friend stated crying. I knew something bad was going on.

9/11--we were moving and i had been out late the previous night (was taking night classes at time). i was asleep on my couch and the phone rang like 50 times and i finally it answered. it was my mom--who was over at the house we were moving into, cleaning--balling her eyes making me very worried that something was wrong with her so hurriedly tossed on shirt and shoes when she finally told me to turn on news. turned it on and they were showing the first plane going into wtc. very shortly after the second plane hit and my mom begged me to get over to her.

:headshake

Obvious one is 9/11, I was at school just before 1st period when a friend told me, the details were still sketchy. I think it was 3rd period in Spanish class when I realized exactly what had happened because I was reading about it all online.

Other ones are...

'96 Atlanta Olympics bombing-mom woke me up and told me the news.

Columbine-got home from school and it was all over the tv.

Kurt Cobain's death-brother told me when i got home from school.

On a more positive note...

2000 Sox Division Championship-watching the game and postgame on tv and the celebration...after the loss to the twins.

2001 Bears clinched playoffs(not sure if it was division title or not)-at the game at old Soldier Field when they beat the Bucs.

2001 Illinois football Big Ten Championship-at the game on Thanksgiving when they beat Northwestern.

Sox sign Everett and Alomar-at Preview here at Illinois State University.

September 11, 2001 would have been my late son's 20th birthday, so I wasn't really in a normal state of mind anyway. I was watching the Today Show on NBC where they reported a commeter plane had hit the WTC. I immediately turned over to CNN so I wouldn't have to listen to a Katie Couric fluff interview instead of the hard news. I was watching live whenplane #2 hit. The word "terrorist" came out of my mouth instantly.

Later, it occured to me that Sept 11 would no longer be a day for just me to mourn, as I would be sharing it with the entire nation. I had, and still do have, mixed feelings on that one. I know it's somewhat selfish, but when it comes to emotions at level, you can't change them. You can only accept them.

September 11, 2001 would have been my late son's 20th birthday, so I wasn't really in a normal state of mind anyway.  I was watching the Today Show on NBC where they reported a commeter plane had hit the WTC.  I immediately turned over to CNN so I wouldn't have to listen to a Katie Couric fluff interview instead of the hard news. I was watching live whenplane #2 hit.  The word "terrorist" came out of my mouth instantly. 

Later, it occured to me that Sept 11 would no longer be a day for just me to mourn, as I would be sharing it with the entire nation.  I had, and still do have, mixed feelings on that one.  I know it's somewhat selfish, but when it comes to emotions at level, you can't change them.  You can only accept them.

I remember when the second plane hit, it was about the same time I realized these were not just small private planes with some idiot bent on killing just himself.

At no time did I ever think it was an accident.

YASNY,

I lost my brother when he was only 23. Nature never intended a parent to bury a child. I cannot imagine a worst experience to go through. My prayers to you.

How many different events ingrained so deep into you memory that even years later, you remember where you were.

For me.  John Lennon's death, Ronald Reagans attempted assassination, the space shuttle Challenger and Columbia disasters, the Oaklahoma City bombings, and September 11th, right off the top of my head.

When the Challenger blew up I was sitting in my second grade class at Pasteur Elementary School on the SW side watching it happen live on TV.

When I first learned of 9-11, I just came back from doing some shopping, walked inside, flipped on the TV and just stood there aghast as there was a big plume of smoke blanketing Manhattan.

I remember when the second plane hit, it was about the same time I realized these were not just small private planes with some idiot bent on killing just himself.

At no time did I ever think it was an accident.

YASNY,

I lost my brother when he was only 23. Nature never intended a parent to bury a child. I cannot imagine a worst experience to go through. My prayers to you.

Thank you, sir.