Rebellion amongst the Girl Scouts

southsider2k5

It is a tough balance that values based groups have to walk. With almost 3 million members, there isn't a single value that is shared by all. Birth control, I am certain, is one. I also doubt the program was directed at 7 year olds. More than likely it was a Studio 2B program aimed at older Girl Scouts.

I have issues with several Boy Scout membership requirements, but on balance have not seen a better program. It is difficult to reconcile my personal beliefs on those issues with the organizations teachings. I've also seen the reality of the situation.

Girl Scouts USA is also different than the Boy Scouts in that GSUSA owns all of their local units. Boy Scouts "franchise" a program to Churches, schools, and other non profit groups.

"Next on our girlscout agenda...A trip to the abortion clinic!"

youthgroups and politics  :headshake

My Boy Scout Troop will be doing the flag ceremony at the local Republican Convention this weekend. My Girl Scout daughter and one of my Boy Scouts will be offering the Pledge of Allegiance at the local Democratic Convention.

The three Aims of the Boy Scouts of America are Citizenship, Character, and Fitness. I do not know a better way to teach citizenship than to expose them to the political process.