Shuttle brake gears installed backwards

southsider2k5

Amazing.

Good advertising for the folks in Rockfjord  ;)

This kind of stuff needs to be checked and rechecked before risking lives.

Espesially since it has been OVER 20 YEARS! :bang

I hate to say this, but if things are THAT bad, they just need to close the shuttle program down, and start all over. I understand there are inherant risks involved in space travel, but installing brakes BACKWARDS??? WTF? Those shuttles better sit on the ground until EVERYTHING is fixed.

OK.. It was not the brakes. It was gears. And it was not gears on brakes in the wheels. It was gears on the brake flaps. Flaps that would have only been used in an emergency landing. I'm not discounting the severity of this mishap.. but just wanted to clarify that it was not wheel brakes.

"The reversed gears were found in an actuator that works the speed brakes, which are essentially flaps that flare out from the tail section to create aerodynamic drag and slow the shuttle."

OK.. It was not the brakes. It was gears. And it was not gears on brakes in the wheels. It was gears on the brake flaps. Flaps that would have only been used in an emergency landing. I'm not discounting the severity of this mishap.. but just wanted to clarify that it was not wheel brakes.

"The reversed gears were found in an actuator that works the speed brakes, which are essentially flaps that flare out from the tail section to create aerodynamic drag and slow the shuttle."

It was the brakes, er I mean, the gears, er I mean the flaps, er I mean... ... hold on... this just coming in... it was bad air! The air was slicker then a greasy pig, which wouldn't let the shuttle slow areodynamically down like it should.