Cubs trade Juan Cruz

Speaking of the devil itself....we were just talking about trading Cruz in a different thread, and that if he gets his head on straight, he will be a great pitcher.

Who better to get his head on straight then Leo Mazzone?

This is a STEAL. I bet Cruz is one of the better young pitchers in the game within 3 years.

And once again, Atlanta robs Chicago of a good, young gun(this time, without the track record).

This is a STEAL.  I bet Cruz is one of the better young pitchers in the game within 3 years.

And once again, Atlanta robs Chicago of a good, young gun(this time, without the track record).

Preach on brother. Unless the Cubs got a huge power prospect, they got hosed in this deal.

They traded him to Atlanta for 2 minor leaguers.

Knowing their track record with trading prospects, watch Cruz now become a star with the Braves.

Son of a b****, I would of wanted Cruz. I wonder what they gave up. I'm assuming Andy Marte wouldn't be part of the deal :lol:

Hee Seop Choi's really been making an impression with the Marlins.  Looks like the Cubs got the short end of the Derrek Lee trade after all.

I like Choi's potential a lot, but if Lee helps propel the Cubs to the series (Who knows if that happens) then no matter what happens to Choi, its a deal the Cubs and Cub fans will take.

I'll wait and see. Choi has high upside but Lee is entering the prime of his career and is a good 1st baseman (he's not in the best group; Thome/Helton/etc, but a notch below that).

Hee Seop Choi's really been making an impression with the Marlins.  Looks like the Cubs got the short end of the Derrek Lee trade after all.

This is a ridiculous statement.

Hee Flops Choi will NEVER be half the player Lee is.

Lee has more power, more speed and hits for a high average.

PLUS, he is SLICK in the field, unlike Choi, who admits to "struggling" defensively.

The Cubs stole Derrek Lee from Florida.

This is a ridiculous statement.

Hee Flops Choi will NEVER be half the player Lee is.

Lee has more power, more speed and hits for a high average.

PLUS, he is SLICK in the field, unlike Choi, who admits to "struggling" defensively.

The Cubs stole Derrek Lee from Florida.

The Marlins had to make a choice on who they could keep and who would have to let go. If it was solely for player reasons, they would not have done the deal.

If my memory serves me right, Lee was looked at as a bust for sometime.

The Marlins had to make a choice on who they could keep and who would have to let go. If it was solely for player reasons, they would not have done the deal.

If my memory serves me right, Lee was looked at as a bust for sometime.

Lee couldn't use his power abilities in Florida, only hit bout 26 homers there last year I think. He should hit at least 40 this year at Wrigley. Plus he was always goin to be dealt because of the payroll issues the Marlins had.

Lee couldn't use his power abilities in Florida, only hit bout 26 homers there last year I think. He should hit at least 40 this year at Wrigley. Plus he was always goin to be dealt because of the payroll issues the Marlins had.

I wonder what will happen when their pitchers start coming up for arbitration and free agency. They are going to be tight moneywise.

I wonder what will happen when their pitchers start coming up for arbitration and free agency. They are going to be tight moneywise.

That's why they need that new ballpark so bad. Wayne Huizenga is screwin them ova big time.

Son of a b****, I would of wanted Cruz.  I wonder what they gave up.  I'm assuming Andy Marte wouldn't be part of the deal  :lol:

The trade was:

The Chicago Cubs traded pitchers Juan Cruz and Steve Smyth to the Atlanta Braves on Thursday for minor league left-hander Andy Pratt and infielder Richard Lewis.

Pratt led the International League in strikeouts last season with 161 and was 7-10 in 27 starts with a 3.40 for Triple-A Richmond. He made five appearances this spring, giving up one earned run in eight innings. He struck out eight and walked six.