• Jeremy Reed
    • Neal Cotts
    • Jon Rauch
    • Other

Burke battles for final Sox spot

By Bob Foltman

Tribune staff reporter

March 25, 2004, 8:49 PM CST

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Jamie Burke had a tough decision to make earlier in the week—where to ship his car.

Does he ship to Chicago or Charlotte?

In contention for the last roster spot on the White Sox, Burke may not know the answer until camp breaks.

Making matters more complicated is that the regular players are getting more playing time, cutting into Burke's at-bats and innings.

"I enjoy this competition," Burke said. "It makes it more challenging."

Burke started Thursday and had four plate appearances against the Arizona Diamondbacks. He went 0-for-2 and is hitting .261 this spring. He said the lack of at-bats is something he will have to get used to if he makes the team.

"I may get one at-bat every four or five days [as a reserve]," Burke said.

The final spot appears to be a battle between Burke and infielder Kelly Dransfeldt, with a lot hinging on whether the Sox carry 11 or 12 pitchers.

It's likely they'll carry 12, leaving one extra spot after Sandy Alomar Jr., Juan Uribe and Ross Gload as reserves.

Dransfeldt, a Joliet native, is making a late push with a pair of hits Thursday and an RBI. He also has six hits in his last eight at-bats and is batting .410.

If Burke has an advantage, it's that he catches in addition to playing third and first base.

"It's a big advantage," Burke said. "Catchers stick around this game a long time."

Burke, 32, has stuck around a while, but not at the major-league level. A ninth-round Anaheim selection in 1993, Burke has only 15 games in 76 days in the big leagues.

In six games last season with the Sox, Burke was 3-for-8 with a pair of RBIs. In 2001, he went 1-for-5 in nine appearances with the Angels.

Copyright © 2004, The Chicago Tribune

Seriously, who voted for sweeney??

What would he have to gain by sitting on the bench in the majors?  What would the team have to gain by having a 19YO riding the pine with them?

Don't you the strategy of that? Keeping Sweeney would allow the Sox to lose him just before he hits his prime at age 25. Then they'd never have to pay him big bucks.

Seriously, who voted for sweeney??

What would he have to gain by sitting on the bench in the majors?  What would the team have to gain by having a 19YO riding the pine with them?

I voted for Burke Cheat. I was being sarcastic about Swenney. I dunno who were the two that did. ;)