Cotts Article

DBAHO

From the Daily Herald, and I certainly hope this isn't the case, if he's not in da rotation for Chicago, he should be startin games in Charlotte.

TUCSON, Ariz. - Neal Cotts has quietly positioned himself to win a job on the White Sox' 25-man roster.

And while he's projected to eventually wind up in the Sox' starting rotation, Cotts has a good shot at opening the season as a long reliever.

"He's been throwing well all spring,'' said White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper. "And he has earned every opportunity to keep pitching. We'll see if there's a way to squeeze his (behind) on the team.''

In 6 innings of relief this spring, the 24-year-old Cotts has allowed 3 runs. That includes the 2 runs on 3 hits he yielded in a rough inning of relief against the Mariners on Wednesday.

Cotts, rated as one of the Sox' top young starters, has a career 25-15 record (3.14 ERA) in the minor leagues.

The White Sox brought up the youngster from Class AA Birmingham last August, and the results were forgettable. While going 1-1 with an 8.10 ERA in 5 starts, Cotts completely unraveled during an Aug. 28 outing at Yankee Stadium.

With the Sox in the heat of the pennant chase and looking to complete a three-game sweep over New York, Cotts retired only one hitter and allowed 4 runs on 3 hits and 5 walks before exiting in the first inning.

White Sox fans might have given up on the Illinois State product, but Cooper hasn't.

"He's made such a big improvement from last year to now, and everybody is convinced he's going to be a good pitcher,'' Cooper said. "The biggest hump he might have to get over is being mentally ready at the major-league level. Last year, he struggled throwing strikes, but he's a better man for that. I really believe that.

"He's had a chance to see it, and now he understands a little more and knows what he has to do.''

The Sox believe a stint in the bullpen might be the best course of action for Cotts.

"Sometimes, the best way to bring a guy up is let him pitch in relief and get settled in, and then make the move,'' Cooper said. "(Mark) Buehrle, (Wilson) Alvarez, a lot of guys came up as relievers. There's some merit to that.''

If it lands him a spot on the team, Cotts is all for a move to the bullpen.

"They've talked to me about it, and any way I can help would fine with me,'' Cotts said. "I've felt really good this spring, and the biggest thing is I've been throwing strikes. I think I've calmed down a little bit from last year.''

On a roll: Big things are expected from No. 3 starter Jon Garland this season, and the 24-year-old pitcher continues to show he might be up for the challenge.

In Wednesday's Cactus League start against Seattle, Garland threw 6 shutout innings while allowing 4 hits. On the spring, Garland is 4-0 with a 2.38 ERA.

"That's what I expect from him,'' said manager Ozzie Guillen. "He threw the ball real well and got a lot of groundballs.''

While combining to go 24-25 over the last two seasons in the White Sox' rotation, Garland was often guilty of being too lax on the mound. In spring training, the right-hander has been much more aggressive.

"That's what we want,'' Guillen said. "We don't want him to take too much time and think about what pitch he's going to throw. Just throw the ball and let the ball do the rest.''

Around the horn: Manager Ozzie Guillen said Willie Harris is still his starting second baseman. But Harris will play center field today so he'll be ready to play the position in an "emergency'' situation. ... Former switch hitter Jose Valentin is batting .359 this spring as a left-hander. Guillen said Valentin is set as the No. 2 hitter. ... Infielder Bobby Smith, who batted .154 in 12 Cactus League games, was reassigned to the minor leagues. The White Sox have 33 players remaining in their major-league camp.

It would be good for Neal to start in the pen like Buehrle and Alverez did to get settled in, but I believe Grilli is going to be the long-man. Hopefully Cotts can land that 5th starter's spot I'm hoping, but if Wright pitches well again, it's definitely his.

Well, I'd guess that would mean that Jackson and Adkins aren't getting in. I can't see the Sox letting Grilli go back to the Marlins, at least not until he gets a shot in the majors.

However, I have no problem with this idea if Cotts is going to seriously be used. Pitching out of the bullpen is a great way to develop a pitcher and make the adjustment to the majors a little easier. That being said, if he's going to rot their, then I'd think its best for him to be in AAA.

And Steve...badass new sig :headbang

Cotts is intriguing. From what little we've seen of him, he surely has major league stuff. All that seems to be holding him back is the confidence to use it. In our little snap shot of him he really has never been hit consistently until he quits throwing strikes and is forced to lay it in there deep in the count.

So, from a development standpoint, would it be better to have him with the big club, pitching a couple innings a week but exposed to and eating dinner with Major Leaguers like Buerhle etc everyday? Or go to AAA and try to find it on his own?

Success in AAA would never convince him he could handle the show. Experiencing the show, taking your victories and lumps and finding that the sun still rises the next morning, might just inure him to the demons and let him just hang it all out. I think if he just throws strikes he will be fine.

IMO time in the majors beats steady work in the minors but I do see the point if he's only getting an inning or so a week he might be better off in AAA. However, look at the staff, Schoe has proven nothing so there could long relief opportunities every 5 days and or a switch of starters after the first month, then there are two guys(Shingo and Koch) who may get alot less work than originally planned so there's more innings that may be available, finally if they do keep Grilli it may be more because they don't want to lose him than it is that he's earned playing time. So if Cotts can come up and pitch effectively he could end up with significantly more innings than expected and could also be in a better position to take over for an ineffective Schoe if it comes down to that.

If I were Ozzie I'd keep an open mind and let this decision go all the way down to the 3rd of April, alot can happen in this final week.