Dan Wright named 5th

ihatethecubs

Maybe winning the spot this year will give him some confidence to go along with his improved mechanics.

He has always had the stuff, it has just been can he be consistent enough to get people out. Wright only walked 4 this spring training so that is hopefully a good sign.

SB

Well Danny boy definitely earned it.  I hope this carries into the season.  Can u imagine if Garland and Wright, who have both had fantastic springs live up to their full potential this season?  God I can't wait to get this thing goin... :headbang

Garland hasn't had a good Spring, in my mind. He has yet to face a regular lineup, and even when he faces a crap lineup he hasn't pitched all that well. His numbers are lieing badly right now.

Garland hasn't had a good Spring, in my mind. He has yet to face a regular lineup, and even when he faces a crap lineup he hasn't pitched all that well. His numbers are lieing badly right now.

He threw six shutout innings in his last outing. Even if it isn't against the regulars, 6 shutout innings is good. Hopefully Wright can have good control, because that is all I believe kept him from being on the staff all of last year, barring his injury.

From mlb.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The worst-kept secret during the past two weeks of Spring Training for the White Sox was finally revealed Friday. Dan Wright will start 2004 as the team's fifth starter.

It's not that the White Sox had made the decision weeks ago and were trying to keep the move under wraps. Manager Ozzie Guillen wanted to give careful deliberation to the important call during his first year in charge and first time handling a pitching staff.

But Wright made it almost unnecessary for Guillen and pitching coach Dan Cooper to explore the other options. With injuries to his pitching elbow and right knee fully healed and armed with a delivery that had its mechanics debugged in the offseason, Wright has been dominant since arriving in Arizona.

The 26-year-old right-hander cinched the rotation spot with his six-inning effort against the Rockies at Hi Corbett Field, allowing seven hits and two earned runs in a 5-4 victory. Guillen and Cooper told Wright after he left the game that he had earned the fifth starter's job.

"Like I said all along, it doesn't really matter," said Wright, who has a 2.87 ERA over 15 2/3 innings this spring. "I just want to be on the team and healthy. I feel like starting is when I'm at my best, but whatever can help the team.

"It was their decision and I felt like I've thrown the ball pretty well this spring. I feel good about my mechanics and the way my pitches are working."

Wright will make his first start during the second series of the season in New York. He beat out Jason Grilli, Neal Cotts, Jon Rauch and Felix Diaz among the group of contenders who opened Spring Training.

Along with this position comes periods of inactivity, with a fifth starter sometimes being skipped due to an off day or rainout. But Wright isn't worried about losing his effectiveness.

"You don't always have to get your work in on the mound in a game situation," Wright said. "That's one area where I failed. I didn't do enough work in the bullpen and staying on top of my mechanics (last season).

"I have no idea how (Guillen) is going to work that, and to be honest it doesn't really matter. I feel like if I'm in a situation like I was last year, I'll be able to take care of what I need to take care of -- stay in shape and stay with my mechanics and have a good season."

Late adjustment: Wright gave up six of his seven hits to Colorado during the first three innings. But he found his changeup in the final three and immediately settled down.

"I wasn't getting anything off-speed over for strikes during the first few innings, just my fastball," Wright said. "The guys kind of realized that. But Sandy [Alomar] did a good job calling the game again, as he always does."

Alomar, 37, caught all nine innings Friday in 86-degree heat.

He threw six shutout innings in his last outing. Even if it isn't against the regulars, 6 shutout innings is good. Hopefully Wright can have good control, because that is all I believe kept him from being on the staff all of last year, barring his injury.

I was in person at his last outing (6 IP, 0 ER). He pitched very poorly.

6 ip and 0 er is pitching poorly??

can i have some of what your smokin?

im sorry but if you pitched poorly then even the non starters should be able to hit you or score some runs.. dont hate on Garland because you think he hasnt "done anything" this spring.. the point is to get out there and pitch and thats what he has done and well.. im confident he will be better than last yr and help this team win the division

6 ip and 0 er is pitching poorly??

can i have some of what your smokin?

im sorry but if you pitched poorly then even the non starters should be able to hit you or score some runs.. dont hate on Garland because you think he hasnt "done anything" this spring.. the point is to get out there and pitch and thats what he has done and well.. im confident he will be better than last yr and help this team win the division

What point of "I was there" did you not understand? He was throwing ropes all day long, although the 3-6-1 DP of Olerud was very nice. Until he shuts down an entire lineup (only Winn, Martinez, Olerud were in the lineup) then I'll speak highly of him.

Is shutting down a lineup of:

Winn

McCracken

Martinez

Olerud

Davis

Bloomquist

Owens

Santiago

Ugueto

impressive? He's pitching against two great hitters (Olerud, Martinez), a good one (Winn), no hit middle infielders (Santiago, Ugueto), bench players (McCracken, Davis, Bloomquist), and a NRI (Owens). I'm not impressed at all.