****Breaking Sox News****

CSF

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a decent trade for the Sox and the Mets get someone who could help them a bit as an emergency 5th starter and long relief man. I will be interested to see how the final 25 man roster now breaks down. It would seem that Burke and Dransfeldt are both in jeopardy of heading to AAA. But, it may also mean that we carry only 11 pitchers. My guess the pitcher on the bubble is Grilli.

Seems like a decent trade for the Sox and the Mets get someone who could help them a bit as an emergency 5th starter and long relief man. I will be interested to see how the final 25 man roster now breaks down. It would seem that Burke and Dransfeldt are both in jeopardy of heading to AAA. But, it may also mean that we carry only 11 pitchers. My guess the pitcher on the bubble is Grilli.

That is where it will get tricky, involving Grilli.

Gload wont back up Joe. Wont happen.

You are correct.

My guess would be that at this point, if we carried 12 pitchers, and Crede ever needed a day off, Valentin would move over to 3B and Uribe would play SS.

Our major problem though is depth on the bench. We could use a guy who can play quite a few positions(ala Denny Hocking or someone like that). I'm starting to think 11 pitchers may be all we are taking north, though either 11 or 12 could be possible.

Saw this on Rotoworld, and I'm not happy with it:

Timo Perez - Outfielder - White Sox  Mar. 27 - 1:59 pm et

White Sox acquired outfielder Timo Perez from the Mets for RHP Matt Ginter.

The White Sox had been talking about keeping Jaime Burke or Kelly Dransfeldt as their 25th man, but what they really needed was an outfielder capable of playing center and they get that in Timo. As a reserve, he should be useful. If he plays enough to accumulate any fantasy value, it's bad news for the White Sox.

Matt Ginter - Relief Pitcher - Mets  Mar. 27 - 1:56 pm et

Mets acquired RHP Matt Ginter from the White Sox for outfielder Timo Perez.

We're happy to see Ginter out of Chicago, but it doesn't appear that he's going to a better situation in New York. The former first-round pick would be a solid middle reliever or setup man, but the Mets probably don't have room in the pen for him right now.

So if Perez is useful as a reserve, that's bad news for the Sox? How? And they're happy to see Ginter out of Chicago? Who the f*** writes for them: Jay Mariotti?

So if Perez is useful as a reserve, that's bad news for the Sox? How?  And they're happy to see Ginter out of Chicago?  Who the f*** writes for them: Jay Mariotti?

Ginter will never be a good set up man ormiddle reliever, unless he figures out how to get lefties out. They hit .390 off him last year, and something like .350 off him in Charlotte. It has been a problem his whole career.

So if Perez is useful as a reserve, that's bad news for the Sox? How?  And they're happy to see Ginter out of Chicago?  Who the f*** writes for them: Jay Mariotti?

I think you're reading a little too much into that, he's saying that if Perez is anything more than a reserve for us that that is bad news. That's true.

He's also saying he's a fan of Ginter's and that Ginter wasn't going to have any opportunity in Chicago. That's also true.

I have no problem with guys writing the truth, that's infinitely better than what we get out of Moronatti.

I don't think you are reading that the same way I am. I think they mean if he plays a lot, one of the other starters failed, probably Aaron.

Uggh, not liking this trade at all. Kenny's love affair with Jon Adkins continues. Kenny probably could have easily dumped Adkins for Perez, but instead he actually gives up a "B" prospect for Perez. Perez as a 25th man is nice, but Ginter, if given a chance, can probably turn into a decent middle reliever. I'd take Ginter over Grilli and Adkins any day of the week.

As for Perez' defense, BaseballProspectus doesn't rate him THAT well, but his defensive rating is better than Rowand's (-2 to -4).

It's a meh move.

I think you're reading a little too much into that, he's saying that if Perez is anything more than a reserve for us that that is bad news. That's true.

He's also saying he's a fan of Ginter's and that Ginter wasn't going to have any opportunity in Chicago. That's also true.

I have no problem with guys writing the truth, that's infinitely better than what we get out of Moronatti.

yeah, thats exactly how I was thinking. Nothing wrong with that mini-article.

i wonder if Ozzie is trying to make us like the Marlins of last year? A LOT of speed with Harris, Perez, Uribe, Rowand (and to a lesser extent Lee, Olivo, Magglio---10-20 SB capabilities).

Not a bad trade. We're not exactly gaining much, but we arent losing anything either. Timo's a reliable player and someone who can spell Rowand in CF other than Willie

This is a good move. Timo Perez is a very good defensive outfielder and he's shown some ability to get on base. He still has to improve when it comes to drawing walks, but overall he's a solid all around player. He lacks power but can play all 3 outfield positions if necessary and Ginter was emerging as an unecessary piece.

My thinking is that Baj is now going to be pitching for the Knights.

Well we had a lot of minor league pitching to give up, and I really like the look of this trade. I think Ozzie can really do some good things with Perez, I'd expect the K's to drop and BB's to rise a little in the future. With Cameron their new CF, they didn't really need Perez any more, very good move for us. Here's our 4th outfielder, which prob means Burke misses out now if they go with 12 pitchers.