Jan Berry dead at age 62

FUCKREINSDORF

Just found the story on Yahoo.com .

It said he had a seisure and had stopped breathing.He passed away Friday night.He'd been in bad health recently due to complications from the brain damage he suffered when he rear ended a parked truck in 1966.

Another 60's icon is gone.Along with his partner,Dean Torrance(hope I spelled that right),he created some of the most memorable feel good summer music of the 1960's ("Drag City","Surf City","The Little Old Lady From Pasedena",among others).

Anyone out there have memories of those old Jan And Dean records??

I caught most of them later in life when Bob Stroud began his Sunday morning

"Rock and Roll Roots" program in 1980.Stroud turned me onto a whole era i'd missed,since I was busy growing up (i'll be 42 in June).

Anyone with memories,share them and let me know. :headshake

that takes the joy out of today

I am a teeny tiny tad bit older than you by 10 years and I remember Jan & Dean well

my best friend in grammar school was a huge fan of theirs and I promised him that if I ever got to be the Saturday night Art Roberts guest D.J. on WLS (there was only WLS then) I would play Jan & Dean as my pick after I played the top 3 requests of the night (since I assumed quite rightly for a long time that all 3 top requests would be by the Beatles)

I was a member of the Stroud crowd. I also loved his Motown Monday stuff.

Ahh the days when a dj could turn an audience on with their musical selections. Now its all corporate geeks.

Agreed.That was when WNUA was WMET,and Stroud did his shows live,not on tape delay as he does them now.Gotta admit that ruins it for my imagination.I always like to picture the radio person sitting at the mic doing a show.What do they look like?? You could pass them on the street and not recognise them.

I didn't think 42 was that old,but God,i'm beginning to sound like the people i feared when I was younger.AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

that takes the joy out of today

I am a teeny tiny tad bit older than you by 10 years and I remember Jan & Dean well

my best friend in grammar school was a huge fan of theirs and I promised him that if I ever got to be the Saturday night Art Roberts guest D.J. on WLS (there was only WLS then) I would play Jan & Dean as my pick after I played the top 3 requests of the night (since I assumed quite rightly for a long time that all 3 top requests would be by the Beatles)

I even have some of their old picture sleeve 45s.That'll date me slightly.

I have 3 nieces who will never know the joy of walking into a dime store like Kresge's or E.J. Korvettes (a local fave here in Chicago during the 60's and 70's)

and plunking down 60 to 70 cents for the latest Beatles single.Or Jan and Dean,The Dave Clark 5,The Beach Boys,The Stones or any Motown classic

(it seemed like they released one every other day between 1964 and 1976 or so).

Even The Lovin'Spoonful or The Byrds had picture sleeves back then.Hey,no MTV,no VH 1,how else do you promote the band,unless you're on the Sullivan show for a few Sundays (it worked for The Beatles).My parents bought me most of my collection.E Bay was nice enough to put them up for auction so I could reacquire the classics i'd scratched and ruined.No one young ever took care of records in the 1960's.God,the record players were anything but high fidelity!!

With digital technology all the rage, I still enjoy playing the stereo 1964 issue of "Meet The Beatles" I won on E Bay on my turntable.For a 40 year old album,even the fake stereo mixes sound great.And yes,the Jan and Dean 45's are cool too.Did you know that the pic sleeves of "Drag City" and "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena" actually have the lyrics printed on one side??

Thanks for listening to me.I love 60's music,all types.After all,it was playing while I got ready for 1st and 2nd grade in 1968 and '69.That's when life revolved around 7 letters: WCFL and WLS. Later!!